5.1 from a Line-Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 from a Line-Out

Hi, simple question. How is it possible to get 5.1 surround sound from a single line out port? My motherboard claims that it has 6-channel audio but on the back there is only one output port. I don't quite understand how I would split that into 4 channels and a subwoofer.
    2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
    Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
    Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
    The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

the 5.1 is probably from one of the pin headers on the board like the one used to get audio and mic to a front panel of a case, but its a little different... check the manual for the board.

Comment

Is it a SPDIF coax/optical out?

Comment

There is an SPDIF header on the motherboard so that could be it?
        Blog

Comment

Hi what motherboard do you have?

I have a Jetway JNC92-330-LF and wondered the same thing, should there be an expansion cable for this?

Thanks
          Andy

Comment

Probably the "orange ring of crappy music" plugg... Multichannel.

Comment

does it only have one port total? Or the standard pink/blue/green? IIRC to get 5.1 from the pink/blue/green, you have to assign one connector to be front L/R, one to be rear L/R, and the third is the center/subwoofer. You then have no inputs.

Comment

No, I'm using a full size motherboard, it's an A13G+ by PcChips because it was on super sale at TigerDirect. Cost me $99 for a whole working setup and a case (I needed the case for another computer). I figured I could just hide the MicroATX board in the trunk with my amps in the sub box.

Anyway, there's a green ring, a blue ring, and a red ring. Green is line-out (for headphones or 2 channel audio), blue is line-in (never used), and red is microphone-in (for... microphones!).

The description says that there is 6-channel audio, "Onboard 6-channel audio CODEC supports uncompromising DVD audio quality, bringing a more vivid sound experience and high-quality 6-channel audio without having to buy advanced sound cards"

F_AUDIO Motherboard Header
                Port 1 L -------- GND
                Port 1 R -------- Presence
                Port 2 R -------- Sense 1 Return
                Sense Send ---- Key / NC
                Port 2 L -------- Sense 2 Return
                Blog

Comment

Originally posted by strikeback03 View Post
                  does it only have one port total? Or the standard pink/blue/green? IIRC to get 5.1 from the pink/blue/green, you have to assign one connector to be front L/R, one to be rear L/R, and the third is the center/subwoofer. You then have no inputs.
                  Oh, well that sort of sucks. Think I could use the back ports as outputs and the front panel header for the line-in?
                  Blog

Comment

Do you watch movies in the car a lot?
                    Do you have more than 4 speakers and a subwoofer?

If you answered no to either of these then you don't need 5.1, nor would you ever use it.
                    You can't just hook something up for 5.1 audio and then all of a sudden everything is 5.1 channels, you have to consider the source. If you're playing a CD, then it (like all other music) was recorded in 2 channel and would never play in 5.1 on any stereo anyway. The best you can hope for is upconversion of some sort. The only way you'll get a 5.1 source is if you bought a concert DVD of music or if you're actually watching a movie. And if you don't have 4 speakers plus a fifth for center channel, there's no way you'll hear the fifth channel anyway....you don't have one.

My advice is to hook up your system for 2.1 sound, there will likely be minor differences.
                    Ampie Case
                    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by strikeback03 View Post
                      Reread this post. This is what you need to do, for surround outs. Your amps and speakers need to be set up for this as well though. You would not be able to use a regular head unit, as none have that many inputs that I know of.
                      CAR: 2007 G35 Sport Coupe 5AT
                      HARDWARE: Dell D630 w/ dock, internal 80G HD, internal 320G HD, Verizon Wireless Card, iBlue GM-2 GPS w/iGuidance, OBDPros w/DashCommand, Visteon HD Radio w/ Home Made Cable, Current Version of RR w/ DFX Skin. My Install.

Comment

I have 4 speakers and a subwoofer channel. I don't care about a center channel. I do however watch a lot of DVDs in the car. The reason I want 4 channel audio is because my amps are already 4-channel and I want to be able to control FADE / BALANCE from the computer along with the sub.

I actually want 4.1 but Ill do 5.1 without a center.

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post

If you answered no to either of these then you don't need 5.1, nor would you ever use it.
                        You can't just hook something up for 5.1 audio and then all of a sudden everything is 5.1 channels, you have to consider the source. If you're playing a CD, then it (like all other music) was recorded in 2 channel and would never play in 5.1 on any stereo anyway. The best you can hope for is upconversion of some sort. The only way you'll get a 5.1 source is if you bought a concert DVD of music or if you're actually watching a movie. And if you don't have 4 speakers plus a fifth for center channel, there's no way you'll hear the fifth channel anyway....you don't have one.

My advice is to hook up your system for 2.1 sound, there will likely be minor differences.
                        Blog

Comment

I have 4 speakers and a subwoofer channel. I don't care about a center channel. I do however watch a lot of DVDs in the car. The reason I want 4 channel audio is because my amps are already 4-channel and I want to be able to control FADE / BALANCE from the computer along with the sub.

I actually want 4.1 but Ill do 5.1 without a center.

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post

Blog

Comment

Windows can't control the 'volume' to each individual channel, so I dunno how your going to manage fade control...unless you use the audio software maybe?
                            Your better off running 2 channel out into your 4 channel amp, and just adjusting the amp gains to get the fade right...

Comment

There are separate front and rear sliders in the volume control, I haven't tried it but I assume those could be worked to be a form of fade.

Comment

Working...
                              X