Sony Amp problem, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Amp problem, please help!

im sure this isnt the first case, but i have a sony 1000watt Amp and having a hard time getting power to it or at least getting it to turn with the car. I have the remote wire connected, i got a new CD deck and had to splice the remote wire from my deck and join it with the remote wire in my 10 gauge kit is what i believe i got may of been a 8 gauge, anyways, i connected everything to the AMP(ground wire, Remote Wire, 12volt wire to the battery, etc) and still cant get power, and a funny thing i accidently did is touch the wire from the battery with the remote wire and the power turns on fine, thing is i have all the wires neatly plugged into the amp where nothing is touching but i moved the wire like i said from the battery and touched it with the remote wire and works fine but the amp stays on all the time draining my battery. obviously i dont want that please help! all suggestions would be awesome and help, thanks alot!

Check the head unit remote output. Are you seeing 12V?

Comment

your headunit is not outputting proper signal on the remote wire to turn on the amp.

Comment

i would say the first thing you need to do is buy a multimeter and test for on/off 12V+ and cycle the key on and off, when the key is off the remote lead should have no voltage, if it still has voltage you might have damaged the deck when you touched the wire.
        the good thing is that you can bypass the remote from the deck, some decks have a remote turn on as well as an antenna power on, or you can always use a relay instead of the deck.
        Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

not sure if it is my REM or not, because the REM wire from my head unit obviously would not reach my amp in the trunk of my jeep cherokee, so i spliced the wire and connect the REM wire from the head unit to the REM wire that came with the gauge set that i bought so it could reach to the back of my car, i took the head unit out and looked at the REM wires that i joined together and it looks good, but like i said if i touch the REM wire running to the AMP and the 12volt wire the AMP stays on all the time but will not turn off with the car like it is supposes to ya know! thnaks for the help!

Comment

how would i go about that?

Originally posted by Injector View Post
            i would say the first thing you need to do is buy a multimeter and test for on/off 12V+ and cycle the key on and off, when the key is off the remote lead should have no voltage, if it still has voltage you might have damaged the deck when you touched the wire.
            the good thing is that you can bypass the remote from the deck, some decks have a remote turn on as well as an antenna power on, or you can always use a relay instead of the deck.

Comment

Perhaps you need something like this?
              http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol
              Though it does sound like your head unit isn't putting out enough power.

Comment

Originally posted by dwgj18 View Post
                how would i go about that?
                well to answer your PM, i had a sony amp before and yes the remote wire is just a small wire and some sony amps the wire is just pushed in while pressing a button, the wire is small because it's only the signal the actual power for the unit comes from the thick power cable from the battery.
                as far as how to check the voltage, the multimeter has 2 leads positive(red) negative(black) connect the black lead to a ground and with the positive lead touch the remote wire with the key on, you should have 12v, now turn off the key and you should have 0v.
                Scion CarPC

Comment

nalav is right something like this would be the other way to go if you just want to bypass the signal from the deck

just keep in mind that the turn on lead would be from the car and not the deck
                  Scion CarPC

Comment

i have no idea what this means or where to begin or what wire i need to bypass and what not are you saying not to use the REM in the back of the head unit just bypass the head unit and just run it to the AMP?

Originally posted by Injector View Post
                    nalav is right something like this would be the other way to go if you just want to bypass the signal from the deck

just keep in mind that the turn on lead would be from the car and not the deck

Comment

this might help,

i don't know what kind of car you have so i don't know what color the wire you need to use is, but considering you have an aftermarket head unit i'm going to guess that you purchased a harness to connect your new HU to the cars harness, most of the time the cable labeled ignition is red, the only difference between the ignition cable and the remote cable is that the remote lead turns on and off with the HU and the ignition turns on and off with the cars key. let me know if you can find this cable.
                      Scion CarPC

Comment

i have a 99 jeep cherokee, i found the blue striped REM wire and thats what i connected the REM wire that came in my gauge kit set and have the REM from the back of the HU running to the AMP plugged into the REM slot on the AMP

Comment

this might help with finding wire colors, there is 2 versions for your car, with an amp and without and amp.

Scion CarPC

Comment

i appreciate your help and as you know this is very aggervating thing, from the first diagram you posted im guessing i should look at the green wire, not really sure because this is really a confusing thing for me, tell me if you know the answer why do i get power when i touch the 12volt wire from my battery (the 12v wire is in its slot 3/4ths the way and when i touch some of the 12volt wire with the REM wire connected in the AMP the power stays on when the wires touch? i want to figure that out before i start messing with wires

Comment

You should really consider taking that to a professional installer before messing with it too much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X