Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an ultimate PCI soundcard thread?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an ultimate PCI soundcard thread?

I've gone through pretty much all the external options in that "Ultimate USB/Firewire/External Soundcard" thread and decided that they are all too big for an all-in-one double din computer.

I'm now looking for a PCI card and have found many options from other threads on the forums but some of the options have been around since those threads started in 2006.

The ones I'm looking at are:

ASUS Xonar D2 - I dont know much about it yet..researching now...
    AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi - been around for a while..maybe a newer card is better?
    M-Audio Delta 1010LT - possible hibernation issues.

I need 7 out puts (L/R tweets, L/R mids, L/R bass, 1 sub channel) from a PCI card. So is there a thread that has a list of PCI cards that I could start doing some research on?

Feel free to make a thread or I suggest do a wiki as well instead and link it to the thread. That way it can be edited by all users as options come and go. At one point I was going to move the USB thread info to the wiki but never followed through.

http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php...PCI_Soundcards

I started to make a thread here a long time ago but that is about as far as it went
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...que-cards.html

I know that ASUS card looks tempting, but really only the two other options are proven to work and less of a headache/less pulling your hair out and scratching your...
    System always under construction

Comment

I can't see any reason to use a pci card inside a double din unit. if you'r going for a pro setup (3/4 way active) why would you prefer running 3/4 rca cables to the amps other than use a firewire card (like the M-AUDIO 410) and carry the signal in a digital way up until it gets right near the amps.

the xonar is much better than the rest. i have also heard good things of the 1820m.

good luck. be sure to update.

Comment

I use the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtremegamer and it works great. Reason I went with it was for 7.1 surround sound and becuase when playing line in devices it will play through all the speakers. It also has a very very low profile. I use it in my thin case, which is the frame of my car.

If you look to the left side, the X-Fi is almost hidden. Its next to the small C-Media 7.1 virtual card.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I'm not actually sure that I'm going to do the double din thing anymore. I'm trying to build it kinda 'universal' so I can put it in my fun-car on the weekends. I thought housing it all in the dash would be smart but I'm thinking that's pretty stupid now. I want it 'universal' so I only have one carputer to keep up-to-date and sync'd and all. But that brings the problem of the sound card. I have the Alpine H701 to use in my first car, but I will not have that in my second one. So I'm going to sell it and do all the processing on the PC so my 'processor' can go from one car to the next. The reason for PCI is so I can keep it compact and sort of an all in one package. Plus I dont see any reason for all the knobs and adjustments on the front of the external sound cards.

Now that the computer will not be in the dash, if I keep it in the back of the car my rca's will be short. So will a PCI card really be that bad then? I've heard they can have a lot of noise interference but I'm really hoping this Audiotrak will not. I need ASIO/VST. Surprisingly I've seen a lot of bad reviews for the Asus card.

Comment

Hey,

here's my project, i'm jst about to finish it and install it in my car. it includes a xonar hdav deluxe that comes with 8 analog RCA outputs. there are a few modifications to be made at the software level.. (lots of work..)

http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/showth...=263525&page=3

i can still make some modifications so if you guys see any problems, please share your thoughts..

Comment

Originally posted by JonnieBlaze View Post
              I'm not actually sure that I'm going to do the double din thing anymore. I'm trying to build it kinda 'universal' so I can put it in my fun-car on the weekends. I thought housing it all in the dash would be smart but I'm thinking that's pretty stupid now. I want it 'universal' so I only have one carputer to keep up-to-date and sync'd and all. But that brings the problem of the sound card. I have the Alpine H701 to use in my first car, but I will not have that in my second one. So I'm going to sell it and do all the processing on the PC so my 'processor' can go from one car to the next. The reason for PCI is so I can keep it compact and sort of an all in one package. Plus I dont see any reason for all the knobs and adjustments on the front of the external sound cards.

Now that the computer will not be in the dash, if I keep it in the back of the car my rca's will be short. So will a PCI card really be that bad then? I've heard they can have a lot of noise interference but I'm really hoping this Audiotrak will not. I need ASIO/VST. Surprisingly I've seen a lot of bad reviews for the Asus card.
              Well you can always buy a mobo that has 5.1 onboard audio. Also buy something like a safety deposit box and put it into that. It will be portable and able to remove it. Another thing is to buy a EEE PC laptop or EEE Decktop box, it is portable and simply use a USB soundcard that is intergrated into the car. So in each car you simply plug in the USB, power and RCA cables.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Onboard sound is not ASIO capable right? I'm really looking for the best possible sound and as far as I know Onboard will not cut it. I'll look into those EEE boxes though.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnieBlaze View Post
                  Onboard sound is not ASIO capable right? I'm really looking for the best possible sound and as far as I know Onboard will not cut it. I'll look into those EEE boxes though.
                  Some onboard sound hardware is ASIO capable. Some isn't.
                  Read the specs very, very carefully.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have the Asus Xonar D1. It's an awesome card and half height. It has its own ASIO drivers, but I used the ASIO4ALL driver set along with Virtual Audio Cable and AudioMulch to do a 3way setup.

Comment

ASIO does nothing for sound quality. ASIO's improvement over standard DirectSound, or WDM, is that it has strict latency reporting requirements. This is important in recording situations, where playback and recording have to be perfectly synced. In a playback only situation, it is not necessary in the least.

As for The best card to use, none but the most expensive EMU type cards here have anywhere near the customization possibilities that you can get from using an older SoundBlaster Live or Audigy card, with the kX Drivers. They allow full customization of all paths and effects in the DSP. You can route sound to whatever speakers you like, have individual EQ's for each speaker, tunable crossovers, etc.

I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy for my system. I am only using a 4.1 setup (4 identical speakers in the doors, and the factory sub/amp). I have used the kx drivers for a lot of nice features, including adjusting the sub's crossover point, having my navigation voice prompts automatically attenuate the front audio, while voice is talking out the front speakers, etc. And the cost is spot on.

If you really wanted to get a noise free setup, you could built/purchase some SPDIF to Line level adapters, and use the SPDIF outputs on the Audigy do input directly at the amp, eliminating pretty much all potential car noise. I haven't gotten there yet on my setup.
                      2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                      Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

My requirements may have changed a little now. I may only need a stereo output and no need for onboard processing. but I'm not 100% sure yet.

However, I thought ASIO was one way of achieving bit-perfect sound? Thats what the FAQ says. So how can ASIO have no effect on sound quality if it enables your computer to play the media in a bit-perfect way? If I go the stereo and no onboard processing route...I'll still need the computer to output bit-perfect sound so I'd still need ASIO correct? I've been all through the FAQs and Wikis and for some reason I dont get them. Its like they are explaining things to people who already know and understand it. But not people like me who just can't grasp the whole idea...lol. I'm trying though...I've been reading these forums since Jun 08 when I joined.

Comment

Are you going to be playing back from a bit perfect source? Also, WDM also supports bitperfect playback, it all depends on the drivers.
                          2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                          Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Working...
                          X