High Pitched Whine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Pitched Whine

Let's start off with saying this is not yet another ground loop problem.

I'm using a PCI sound card going to my amp, sounds just fine. Once in a blue moon, if I hit a bump in the road just right, the computer turns off (as if power was removed) and I hear this outrageously loud noise and have to pull over and pull the fuse from my PC to stop it. My guess is that the PCI card is coming out, and shorting out something and thats whats killing the PC, but I can't explain the noise. I'd like to keep my PCI card config, as it sounds fantastic, and I can't find a USB or firewire adapter I like to replace it anyways.

Short of tie strapping the hell out of the card, are there any ideas out there?

make a bracket for the card and use a usb card
    Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

USB cards do not nearly have the quality that I want, nor do they have replacable op-amps. By "make a bracket" what are you saying. Last I checked, PCI cards had a "bracket" that bolted to the chassis.

Comment

that kind of thing happens to me as well, but in the end my battery clamps weren't making a good enough connection, so i get out and beat them with a hammer, then its fine again for a few months, haha

(gonna get new ones soon)

Comment

Originally posted by djphibes View Post
          USB cards do not nearly have the quality that I want, nor do they have replacable op-amps. By "make a bracket" what are you saying. Last I checked, PCI cards had a "bracket" that bolted to the chassis.
          He's talking about a hold-down bracket over the card. The normal slot bracket is not very good at holding the card in the slot, and was designed for stationary use. There is enough flex in the boards and the bracket to allow the card to slip out.
          2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
          Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

tie strapping the hell out of the card
            This.

Precisely what we do on yachts.

Comment

Oh and there ya go:

http://www.hippohifi.com/products/bloat/bloat.html

Comment

Working...
              X