Does size matter on a SUB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does size matter on a SUB?

I'm slowly starting to get my Car PC done, but have a few questions. Basically on my rear of the truck I am adding 3 AMPS. Two of them will go to the right side and be tucked under my Car PC case. Now because of this I have lost a bit of space because the PC case and amps stick out a bit. I can afford to take up more room, otherwise my 4 dogs can not fit into the car. If I get a 12 inch sub, it will be way to big because of the magnet. If I get the 10 inch the magnet is smaller. The Sub I want tis the Alpine R-Series AMP. Both the 10 and 12 inch seem to use the same power 500 RMS, 1500 Peak.... I was wondering, will I notice the difference in sound? Will 2 inches really make a difference? Also a sub and AMP can be placed together? I am thinking maybe I can build it so I can take out the sub box when the pups are in the car, but the smaller the better for me.

Also can an amp be sitting on its side? Rather then Horizontal, Vertical?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

You can mount an amp on it side or upside down it does'nt matter. Just make sure it can get air to keep it cool. The diffrence between a 10" sub & 12" sub is the type of bass responce. The 12" will be deeper and boomier than a 10". It really depends on you music type.

Comment

Basically, yes, you can hear a difference. If you don't buy the 12" in the first place, you'll never know what you're missing and it won't bother you. Its not like it sounds worse, it's just less of a BOOM than a larger sub.
      2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
      Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
      Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
      The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Only thing I notice is frequency..... The 10' is 24 -600 Hz, the 12' is 23 - 600Hz. What would be the best sub for movies and music. I may just get the 12', if its too big I will make a quick disconnect system so I can just pull the amp and sub out.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
          Only thing I notice is frequency..... The 10' is 24 -600 Hz, the 12' is 23 - 600Hz. What would be the best sub for movies and music. I may just get the 12', if its too big I will make a quick disconnect system so I can just pull the amp and sub out.
          I have a 12" sub in my dakota and it was awsome while watching movies.

Comment

You don't want sub and amp inside of sealed box. Heat issues.

Look into shallow mount subs, you can make a large flat box with them.

Movies? Go with 12".

If you prefer quality over quantity: Peerless 830877 12" XXLS Autosound Subwoofer

I got two 10" Alpine Rs, switching to 12". Never enough bass. You just need to deaden the car, otherwise everything will rattle, and the bass is no longer clear.

Comment

Originally posted by digital79 View Post
              You don't want sub and amp inside of sealed box. Heat issues.

Look into shallow mount subs, you can make a large flat box with them.

Movies? Go with 12".

If you prefer quality over quantity: Peerless 830877 12" XXLS Autosound Subwoofer

I got two 10" Alpine Rs, switching to 12". Never enough bass. You just need to deaden the car, otherwise everything will rattle, and the bass is no longer clear.
              I really had my heart set on the Alpine R-Series sub though, since all the other speakers will be Alpine also. I don't want to mix and match. I don't want bass thats going to get me heard 3 blocks away. Just something to compliment the movies. The AMP I am using is only 500 RMS

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

well think what sound is, sound is the vibration of air, that's why kicker started making squared subs because a square has more area than a circle, so in theory it should be louder, but as you said when you increase the size you also change the frequency.
                Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Type R subs should only be in a ported box. I've only heard bad results when people have tried sealed.

Also from most reviews, the type R is a loud and boomy sub, even in the right box it probably wouldn't be the best choice for movies.

Comment

I really had my heart set on the Alpine R-Series sub though, since all the other speakers will be Alpine also. I don't want to mix and match.
                    It's OK to mix sub brands with your other speakers.

Single 12" sealed should do fine.

However, if you are really concerned about the space, and can afford an extra driver, go for iso-barik box. It's more complex to build, less loud, and some subs are no good for it, but it cuts box size in half. Read more here.

Comment

MECA Car Audio Judge

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdan View Post
                        I don't get it By the way I love Caption Picard!

Anyways, let me ask, do AMPS put out alot of EMI? Say for example if I where to run VGA cables next to them, will I have EMI on the screens? I am starting to finally see a vision on how all devices will go. This will allow everything to fit behind panels, but everything will be in close proximity.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by bigdakota98 View Post
                          You can mount an amp on it side or upside down it does'nt matter. Just make sure it can get air to keep it cool.
                          Not quite right, if an amplifier is ventilated at the top and they count on the air rising out of the casing, then mounting it upside down would cause it to overheat and give you a fiery death.
                          Originally posted by bigdakota98 View Post
                          The diffrence between a 10" sub & 12" sub is the type of bass responce. The 12" will be deeper and boomier than a 10". It really depends on you music type.
                          Again, no. The subwoofer has almost NOTHING to do with the sound it produces. Most of the sound comes from the type of power you put into it and the enclosure it's in. As long as you get a proper amplifier and don't cheap out on a crappy Sony/Jensen product then it'll make any subwoofer sound better. That 10 inch subwoofer could sound much louder, deeper and clearer than any 12 inch powered by a bad amplifier.
                          Ampie Case
                          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Go with Type R, i did all my speakers, amps, & subs alpine type r.

Comment

I don't get it By the way I love Caption Picard!

Anyways, let me ask, do AMPS put out alot of EMI? Say for example if I where to run VGA cables next to them, will I have EMI on the screens? I am starting to finally see a vision on how all devices will go. This will allow everything to fit behind panels, but everything will be in close proximity.
                              Size doesn't matter for Picard, he sets the standard?

My better half use to work for Quill and Patrick Stewart's assistant would call in orders for him. I guess the assistant said his voice was just as sechsi in person

Sorry, way off topic
                              FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                              My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

Working...
                              X