Car stereo without head unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car stereo without head unit

I'm looking to install a stereo in my Camaro.. it currently has no speakers or a cd player. Is it possible to just run an amp to a couple speakers and use an iPod as my cd player? Would i need an amp with an aux input? if so are these common?

Thanks!

Originally posted by 81Z28 View Post
    I'm looking to install a stereo in my Camaro.. it currently has no speakers or a cd player. Is it possible to just run an amp to a couple speakers and use an iPod as my cd player? Would i need an amp with an aux input? if so are these common?

Thanks!
    I am kind of confused what you are asking--- do you want a cd player and ipod connectivity, or just to use your ipod as the source?

if you want to use your ipod as the source, it is entirly possible:

currently, I am using my ipod as the source while i work on my car computer-- all that is required is a 1/8" stereo to rca cable that runs to the amp, and to hook the amp up to a switch to turn it off when your not in your car.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Soundman's advice will work very well. I do the same when my computer is down.

Just annother option taken from this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...tem-ideas.html

iPod->LOD cable->Volume knob->Amp RCA inputs

Comment

You would need to tell the amp to turn on.. In other words, give it the 12v power-on (wake-up) signal.

This can be done many ways... either by flipping a 12v switch, or use relays and connected to ignition, so that the amp will go on when the car is running and stay on.

Comment

This might be a stupid statement (please correct me if it is) but, rather than rigging a switch or relays, could you not just wire the amp as normal and just use the 12V accessory line to the amp turn on terminal as a means to turn the amp on when the system is switched on. Is this not what the amp turn-on wire from head units do?

Comment

Originally posted by smyles View Post
            This might be a stupid statement (please correct me if it is) but, rather than rigging a switch or relays, could you not just wire the amp as normal and just use the 12V accessory line to the amp turn on terminal as a means to turn the amp on when the system is switched on. Is this not what the amp turn-on wire from head units do?
            You are 100% correct.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Use a switch plus ign/acc just as a precaution. ACC->switch->Amp remote. This way it will always be off with the key off in case you forget so you don't drain the battery, and use the switch when the key is on and you want to plug in the ipod (or turn it on, etc.) so you don't pop the speakers.

Comment

Working...
              X