Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Volume Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Physical Volume Control

    Ive searched several threads on this forums and I'm not really finding much that seems like a good option. I need something that is a physical volume knob that I can mold into my dash for control of my volume instead of having to look at the screen and find the button and keep pushing it to make my volume go down. I realize I could do something with fusion but thats not what I want. I need something I can use right away.(The griffin powermate is not an option because its way to big to put into the screen)

  • #2
    One of these should do the trick:

    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+Control-.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Or one of these if you like USB:
      Powermate

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mdawg View Post
        Ive searched several threads on this forums and I'm not really finding much that seems like a good option. I need something that is a physical volume knob that I can mold into my dash for control of my volume instead of having to look at the screen and find the button and keep pushing it to make my volume go down. I realize I could do something with fusion but thats not what I want. I need something I can use right away.(The griffin powermate is not an option because its way to big to put into the screen)
        Originally posted by joshuo View Post
        Or one of these if you like USB:
        Powermate


        OP: How much space do you have to work with?

        Comment


        • #5
          Just searched a bit around here because I remembered people hacking up a mouse to make a knob and using volumouse:

          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/inpu...ob-fabbed.html

          You can fab up a knob any size you want

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by csfile View Post


            OP: How much space do you have to work with?
            Uuuuuhhhh

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm in the same situation. I figure it will be better to have the volume knob control the amplifier input rather than the software output in case of glitches/etc. Also my carputer is in the boot so if I got one of these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+Control-.html I'd have to run RCA to the front, right?

              Instead I've found this: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=446 which looks like you only need to run the wires for the knob to the front. Plus the pass-through seems handy. Does anyone know of a similar but less expensive alternative?

              Comment


              • #8
                switch that cuts the remote send line to the amps would do the trick :P

                but seriously it would be handy if the reason your doing this is say a phone call, or you need to speak to someone.

                otherwise you could invest in making or buying for that matter a pre-amp like most higher enough home theater systems have, and just havfe the pre amp mounted in the front, like second din slot or glovebox

                Comment


                • #9
                  The knob needs to be really small. I have a Alpine MRP-F450 amp, there is an extra connector on the amp itself is that for volume control?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zillacles View Post
                    I'm in the same situation. I figure it will be better to have the volume knob control the amplifier input rather than the software output in case of glitches/etc. Also my carputer is in the boot so if I got one of these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+Control-.html I'd have to run RCA to the front, right?

                    Instead I've found this: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=446 which looks like you only need to run the wires for the knob to the front. Plus the pass-through seems handy. Does anyone know of a similar but less expensive alternative?
                    I like the idea of the first thing you posted assuming it doesn't kill the sound quality

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah that's what I'm worried about, hence leaning towards the JL.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When it comes to controlling volume in WinXP, or any OS for that matter, your introducing distortion into the audio stream anytime your not at 100% max volume...

                        http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki...olume_controls

                        Dithering can help, if available. Using AudioMulch myself, gives me the option to dither the output. But it's still a band-aid.

                        I like the idea of having an in-line, pre-amp ANALOG volume device...and I think I might implement something in my car in the future along this idea.

                        And I'm guessing the CL-RLC basically does what Windows does....digitally alter the signal.

                        You could even go POST-amp, with something like this...

                        http://www.xantech.com/products/volume_controls.htm

                        Just gut the hardware and knob and mount it in-dash?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What makes you think the CL-RLC isn't an in-line analogue preamp device? From the product page:

                          "The CL-RLC is a true, active level control preamplifier which can be used for subwoofer level control or as an audiophile-grade, full-range volume control. The CL-RLC’s differential-balanced inputs minimize the likelihood of noise.... The control knob only sends volume level signals to the preamp circuit in order to maximize fidelity and minimize the possibility of noise."

                          You could leave Windows at 100% volume and just have the CL-RLC control the volume. Though I'm hoping there are cheaper devices that do the same thing as it is a bit expensive

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            no signal passes through the CL-RLC’s control cable and knob. Instead, the control knob only sends volume level signals to the preamp circuit in order to maximize fidelity and minimize the possibility of noise.

                            Digital dude...

                            Another option might be to hack out the volume knob from and old stereo or pre-amp...

                            Or here is a sweet option!!
                            http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...evelpilot2.gif

                            $99 on Ebay....
                            And I'm sure XLR-to-RCA's wouldn't be an issue with some creative thinking...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ...or make your own XLR-to-RCA cables...
                              http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...xlr-rca-1.html

                              Double up the RCA outputs for 4-channel setups...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X