Welcome to Microsoft Auto 4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Microsoft Auto 4.0

The newest generation of embeeded operating system designed for in-vehicle infotainment systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/auto/ma.mspx
    is this going to be another platform?

Looks interesting, but probably going to be like Windows CE. Time consuming to develop for, and it'll be used for custom OEM applications like gps and phones. Not many people use CE for carputers, this will likely be the same way.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Hopefully not just like Windows CE as not many people develops for carputers.

Microsoft Auto 4.0 also expands its hardware support from ARM- and SH-based processors to include support for Intel processors, including the newest options for the Intel Atom Z5xx series chips

Found some more here:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=215800443

http://www.motorauthority.com/micros...-platform.html

Thanks Malcolm2073 for your patience on me, anyway i have a lot to read from MP3Car for sure,just to build my first real carpc ever.

Comment

expands its hardware support from ARM- and SH-based processors to...
        That right there says this is based on Windows CE. The regular Windows that we all run at home does not run on ARM or SH, and probably never will.

I'd wager that this is going to be a closed system, with no way to load 3rd-party applications. I just can't see Ford and Toyota setting up the sort of tech support that would be necessary for something like that.

Comment

Keep in mind a few things:
          • MS automotive is used in aftermarket products
          • MS auto is a derivitive of windows CE which has a pretty larger hacker community.
          • There are lots of nav and ui type apps available for windows CE.

Comment

I couldn't be more agree than you do that MS WINCE would be open once we can get to activesync and go down to explorer or cedesktop level.
            There are a lot of free stuffs in net available for it not to mention hardware expansions limitation.
            I expect MS Auto 4.0 will be developer's tool that opens wider compatibility for different type of devices include easier gadget integration thus easing user's interface.

Some more about it here:
            http://www.microsoft.com/auto/wa5.mspx,
            it is an open software platform featuring Automotive User Interface Toolkit (AUITK).
            -Enables designers who are not programmers to develop the user interface at a desktop PC.
            -Facilitates the development of high-quality user interface "skins" that connect to the core application program.
            -Eliminates the need to write user interface code in most applications and shortens development time.

Microsoft isn't the only horse in the race to deliver an infotainment stack for Atom, either.
            An open source GENIVI industry group was founded lately, with the aim of driving open source software collaboration around Wind River's Linux-based infotainment stack.
            http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7890852291.html

Afterall, it is time for me to install my new baby (purchased: mobo with intel Atom 330,PSU,and Xenarc) with Road Runner and enjoy learning experience and hardwork from all of members here..GREAT...

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by bandung_steve View Post

Microsoft isn't the only horse in the race to deliver an infotainment stack for Atom, either.
              An open source GENIVI industry group was founded lately, with the aim of driving open source software collaboration around Wind River's Linux-based infotainment stack.
              http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7890852291.html

Afterall, it is time for me to install my new baby (purchased: mobo with intel Atom 330,PSU,and Xenarc) with Road Runner and enjoy learning experience and hardwork from all of members here..GREAT...

Thanks guys
              We actually interviewed the GENIVI team a few weeks ago:
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/mp3c...l-hoffman.html

Comment

Oops...missed that part
                Mp3Car should be simply the best point of reference for me
                Love it
                Sorry for my english

Comment

Originally posted by NSFW View Post
                  That right there says this is based on Windows CE. The regular Windows that we all run at home does not run on ARM or SH, and probably never will.
                  I wouldn't say never. NT is very portable by design and has run on a number of platforms over the years:
                  Intel i860 (initial development only)
                  MIPS (initial development through NT 4.0)
                  PC compatible x86 (NT 3.1 through Windows 7)
                  Alpha (NT 3.1 through Windows 2000 RC2)
                  PowerPC (NT 3.51 through NT 4.0)
                  Clipper (NT 3.51, never publicly released)
                  SPARC (NT 3.51, never publicly released)
                  Intel IA-64 (Windows 2000 through current)
                  AMD x86-64 (Windows XP through current)

Just because it doesn't currently run on platform X doesn't mean it won't to fit Microsoft's business needs in the future. Both Xboxes are great examples of that, with the original running a heavily stripped out NT5-based kernel on x86 and the 360 running an evolved version of that on a triple-core PowerPC. With that out of the way, given the platforms mentioned CE is the obvious choice. It already runs on those three today and is in use in that type of device today, so why reinvent the wheel?

I agree that it probably won't be explicitly designed to run third party applications, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can. The Pioneer AVIC F-series devices run a CE-based OS and can be fairly easily modified to boot normal CE apps. People have them running TomTom, Garmin, and a more up-to-date version of the original nav program (I think iGo) with just a SD card and some time. Programming for it is supposed to be similar to a normal Windows environment and emulators are everywhere for development, so if a decent hardware platform came out I don't think it would take incredibly long for the community to get up to speed.
                  I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

Comment

i wouldnt mind running that ford automation microsoft is putting in their cars.... run it as a windows program, that would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                      i wouldnt mind running that ford automation microsoft is putting in their cars.... run it as a windows program, that would be nice.
                      There is a lot of stuff that happens server side to make sync work. It would be more than just copying over the software from a ford to your hacked pioneer avic ce device or other ce unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X