Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5.1 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5.1 questions

    hello i have had a car pc in my 07 mustang for a while now but had to take it out to work on it some. i had been using the on board sound card, but i would like to be able to have 5.1 so i can have separate sub woofer signal from the rest. i will be using a sound blaster card model sb0790. also i am using the stock speaker in the car it has subs each with there own amp and i am using another amp to power the 4 regular speakers.

    My main concern is what to do with the center channel can it be wired in with the front speakers? will it cause problems? is there a way to shut the center channel off so it will just come out of the front speakers? i know for most of what i will do i wont be a factor as my hd radio and sirius are 2 channel, but i dont want to wire somthing wrong make have to pull it all out again to fix it.

  • #2
    Short answer: ignore it. There's nothing that says you have to hook it up.

    Comment


    • #3
      ok thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        1. Your on board sound should do 5.1, you don't need an external sound card.
        2. You don't need to hook up the center channel, I don't have mine hooked up.
        3. There's an option in the software where you can mix the center channel into the front.
        Ampie Case
        2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
        Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
        Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
        M2-ATX-HV

        2005 Honda Civic

        Comment


        • #5
          the only problem with useing the 5.1 on the on board audio it that it only has 3 jacks i will lose one of my inputs.

          also what software are you talking about i looked in the options but have found nothing about mixing the center channel into the front, only making the front and rear speakers output the same signal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Xargon321 View Post
            the only problem with useing the 5.1 on the on board audio it that it only has 3 jacks i will lose one of my inputs.

            also what software are you talking about i looked in the options but have found nothing about mixing the center channel into the front, only making the front and rear speakers output the same signal
            The only input you might have is a microphone and you can switch that to USB.
            Try downloading the drivers for your motherboard from the company's website, the updated drivers usually have a utility where you get more options in the volume control panel and it gives you checkboxes to downmix LFE or center into front/rear. Via does it, not sure which chipset your board uses.
            Ampie Case
            2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
            Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
            M2-ATX-HV

            2005 Honda Civic

            Comment


            • #7
              Im using a msi 945gm1 board with the realtek ac97 audio chipset i have the soundblaster already so im not going to be spending any money just to get it. the sound blaster has the option of mixing the front to the rear so they will output the same sound. im also trying to use the line in plug in for winamp but i cant seem to get it to work when i set it in the rrconfig and run the program its like nothing has happend i cant use the winamp eq to control anything

              Comment


              • #8
                In windows set your sound configuration to 4.1 instead of 5.1 and it will auto mix in your center channel.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ok one last question. will my subs work if im running a 2 channel source?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    you should be able to set it up for 2.1 upmixing..
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                    next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Xargon321 View Post
                      Im using a msi 945gm1 board with the realtek ac97 audio chipset i have the soundblaster already so im not going to be spending any money just to get it. the sound blaster has the option of mixing the front to the rear so they will output the same sound. im also trying to use the line in plug in for winamp but i cant seem to get it to work when i set it in the rrconfig and run the program its like nothing has happend i cant use the winamp eq to control anything
                      By the sounds of this you don't even want my help.
                      Ampie Case
                      2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                      Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                      Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                      M2-ATX-HV

                      2005 Honda Civic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                        By the sounds of this you don't even want my help.

                        how do you come to that? I'm just trying to figure things out. if i use my on board sound i will lose my line in port and my mic port it only has 3 jacks. i need at least 2 input jacks to run my Hdradio and siruis radio. also how could i switch my inputs to usb? im sorry if you think im ignoring your suggestions that was not my intention.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          you might need to get a usb mic(andreas in the mp3car store), and possibly a usb aux in(no idea where to get this), or try to tie into the front panel ports if the board has them
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                          next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            if i use the front panel ports it shuts off the back unfortunately. i have a soundblaster card that has enough jacks to do the job was just wondering if the sub channel works with 2 channel sources

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X