Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focal and Alpine Subs?

Hi,

I'm just wondering for the money, so comparing 2 subs from the same price range from Alpine and Focal, which one would have better sound quality?

Looking at around the $300 to $500 mark.

Thanks.

I would say Focal is most likely better. Almost all their stuff is made for super professional sound quality. Its more pricey. Me though being a newbie audio person, I decided to go Alpine with everything. i know it will sound good, but not empty my wallet.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

im running a type r 12" alpine on just 400w rms. it sounds nearly as good as a pair of 10" jl's my buddy once had. if you have the money, im sure the focals are more accurate, but for $100 or less alpine is not a bad choice. the type r is good enough for me to not really want anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
        im running a type r 12" alpine on just 400w rms. it sounds nearly as good as a pair of 10" jl's my buddy once had. if you have the money, im sure the focals are more accurate, but for $100 or less alpine is not a bad choice. the type r is good enough for me to not really want anything else.
        I agree..... Type R's are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are exactly what I am getting also. 6 1/2 for the doors. 5x7 for the center and 10 inch for the rear. Its actually $100.00 per pair, then $100.00 for the sub. So $400.00 makes my whole car sound good.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

this is one of those things that is personal opinion--alpine and focal have completly different sounds-- alpine subs are more hard hitters--spl type subs, whereas the focal lineup is more focused on extreme sound quality.

don't limit yourself to just the 2 brands though, there are alot of brands out there that have very good offerings in that price range. it just depends entirely on what you want it to sound like. there is no 'magic sub' that everyone will agree is the best-- each and every sub on the market has its own + and -, in every area of sound reproduction.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
            I agree..... Type R's are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are exactly what I am getting also. 6 1/2 for the doors. 5x7 for the center and 10 inch for the rear. Its actually $100.00 per pair, then $100.00 for the sub. So $400.00 makes my whole car sound good.
            what are you getting for your front speakers? im running the polk momo coaxial 6"... they are awesome for the money. i feed them 60w rms and they dont even think about burning up with metal music.

and for $100 the alpine r is great. pioneer also makes a good SQ sub in that price range, it would sound more like a focal i am sure... but the alpine is both good SQ and hard hitting. if you can afford it though, i would look into an image dynamics sub. if you put those in the right box, watch out. ive seen just 300w do amazing things to those woofers.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              this is one of those things that is personal opinion--alpine and focal have completly different sounds-- alpine subs are more hard hitters--spl type subs, whereas the focal lineup is more focused on extreme sound quality.

don't limit yourself to just the 2 brands though, there are alot of brands out there that have very good offerings in that price range. it just depends entirely on what you want it to sound like. there is no 'magic sub' that everyone will agree is the best-- each and every sub on the market has its own + and -, in every area of sound reproduction.

This post hits the nail on the head! Without giving a goal, nobody can give a suggestion. What are you looking to get out of the sub, what kind of power will you be feeding it, and how much room do you have to give up. I can tell you from experience that the Type R's require a LOT of power, eat up a LOT of space, and REQUIRE a ported enclosure.
              Play with it, 'til it's broke.

Comment

Working...
              X