tapping into stock amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapping into stock amp

My 07' Saab 9-3 uses an amplifier in the trunk to power all the stock speakers. I do plan on putting in new amps (which i have) but to get it all up and running first I want to just use the stock amp.

the computer is in the back right by the amp, but i was wondering if i could make my own 1/8" stereo cable and use some wire taps to tap into the signal at the amp input. I dont think the stock headunit i have amplifies at all. so i figure the wires running to the amp from the head unit are simply signal cables in the little molex type connector it uses.

here is a picture of the pinout for the amp. i was going to tap into FL-FL+/FR-FR+ and RL-RL+/RR-RR+
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~mshay...%20resized.jpg

That's what I did with my Bose amp in my RSX; just split the 1/8 cable to each channel. I might replace it someday if someone ever makes an amp small enough, but for now it works.

Comment

every auto manufacturer is different, some will use line level inputs into their amps, others will use speaker level, so you might want to double check with other saab owners, but i do believe that it should be ok to do it the way your planning.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

could i check it with a multimeter?

Comment

you could try-- just use the ac setting, unplug the input connector from the amp, and turn up the volume to get a full signal, and then measure the voltage-- if it is line level, it should range from 1-5volts(standard aftermarket radios should range from 1-5 volts, which i am bassing this on, but should be close to that), if it is speaker level, it should be way above that.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
          X