1/2 din radio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 din radio?

i have a pontiac with the stupid 1.5 din opening.
    i want to buy http://cgi.ebay.com/VMI70-7inch-IN-D...QQcmdZViewItem.

its great, but it doesn't have a freakin radio of any kind. only an audio out.
    so i was hoping to find a stereo that fits in a 1/2 din dash opening. i know they make an in-dash vga touch screen that fits in one, you think they can make a simple stereo that fits in the same space.

...or in the case that doesn't exist, maybe a way to cram a full size one into a 1/2 din opening?

i have never seen a 1/2 din radio--- how about just installing a full car computer and adding a radio tuner?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Your install will look better if you use a standard 7" wide screen monitor instead of one of those slide out types. My Xenarc fits perfectly behind my 1.5 din Pontiac bezel, I did have to do a little cutting inside the dash to make room but I didn't do any fiberglass molding of the bezel at all and it looks factory.

Comment

could you please post a picture?

Comment

i don't see how a double din screen could be entirely visible behind a 1.5 din bezel.

Comment

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been neglecting my e-mail. This is the only picture of my install that I have online right now. as you can see, the buttons are hidden behind the bezel but the remote still works so that is OK. The entire screen is visible through he factory opening and since the opening is smaller than the overall monitor dimensions I didn't need to fill in any gaps.

Comment

amazing!
              what model xenarc monitor is that?

and did you make a guide (or have any useful info) about installing it?

Comment

The monitor is a xenarc 700tsv. Unfortunately I did not document my build process but fitting the screen in was surprisingly simple. I thought it would be much harder and require fabrication but once the radio is out the monitor fit behind the bezel even without modification. the plastic shelf that the radio sits on blocked the lower part of the monitor making the monitor sit to high and the top of the screen was not viable. A little cutting with a dremel and the problem was solved. I used simple velcro to make the monitor stick in the exact spot I wanted.

Comment

great. what did you use to replace the head unit to power the speakers?
                  i've seen people use 4 channel amps but was wondering what you used.

Comment

New speakers and a 4 channel amp. I may have been able to get away with not replacing the speakers but factory speakers don't usually work to well with after market amps.

Comment

what do you use as volume control?

Comment

ride runner has on screen buttons for volume, as do all the front ends that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by CMOS1138 View Post
                          Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been neglecting my e-mail. This is the only picture of my install that I have online right now. as you can see, the buttons are hidden behind the bezel but the remote still works so that is OK. The entire screen is visible through he factory opening and since the opening is smaller than the overall monitor dimensions I didn't need to fill in any gaps.

Nice install

Course it depends on the OP's car. For the Sunfire, go to 1995-1999, and all you can fit is a 1.5 din w/out modifying the space behind the bezel or swapping the dash to 2000+ (opening is just shy of 1.5 din), whereas 2000+ is just a hair under 2 din and can accommodate a 2-din stereo.

Comment

so your amp doesn't hiss or anything from being turned up all the way all the time?

Comment

myleskeller, the amp is set up the same way it would be if it was connected to a standard head unit, the sours (computer or head unit) controls the volume that it send to the amp, the volume on the amp is set one time when you tune the system to eliminate distortion and maximize output. so my sound volume is not turned up any more than it would be in a traditional system and the sound quality is reasonably good (much better than the factory system sounded but you can only do so much in a car.)

Kardain: I have a 2001 so I guess I fall into the slightly larger than 1.5 din category.

Comment

Working...
                              X