Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest way to hookup 5.1 sound card output to stock speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to hookup 5.1 sound card output to stock speakers?

Hi,

I've been googling for a while and searching the forums but can't seem to find what I'm looking for (if it even exists)

I am still in the planning stage for my setup at the moment. I am intending to get an Acer Aspire Revo and use a usb 5.1 sound card of some description (haven't decided on make/model yet).

I would like to use the stock speakers in my car if possible with the least possible modification to the original car wiring. I will be removing the stock HU so I will need some form of amplifier. It doesn't need to be majorly powerful, I would think a 4x40w amp should be sufficient as I guess the stock HU would be around that power. Also, at a later date I will want to connect a sub to the setup which will have it's own amp.

Is it possible to get a small amp that would connect to the car ISO speaker connector and use 3.5mm jacks (or equivalent RCA plugs) on the input side to connect to the PC?

Thanks in advance

Your factory headunit is probably only putting out 5-10 watts per speaker and the factory speakers are likely about 15 watts RMS........mine are. So you're going to overkill it with a 4x40 amp. But if you want to use those speakers, the easiest way is what I did. Get an aftermarket stereo adapter kit:

...for $10 and plug that into your factory wiring for your car. Then get a bundle of speaker wire and run it from that harness to your amplifier, then connect your computer to the amp via RCA. That's what I did.

I even got this cool jacket of wires that holds all speaker wires plus a remote wire, it was like $2 per foot or something.

Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

a 4x40 watt amp will NOT blow factory speakers as long as you are not pushing them past audible distortion.

we will need a couple more details before answering your questions--what year, make, modle car do you have? what type of stereo? do you know if there is a external amp, if the amp is on the headunit, or if there is both a amp in the headunit, and externally?

also, are you just interested in playing stereo music, or are trying to hook up each individual line for surround sound?
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

The car is a 2005 model (2007 reg though) Suzuki Swift and currently still has the stock HU in it which I believe is a Panasonic PACR01

The head unit only has a built in amp.

If possible I would like to hook up to the 5.1 outputs on a PC sound card such as in this image:

To have surround sound with front, rear and sub. I will probably get a monoblock amp for the sub at a later date (initially the sub won't be connected due to my budget - I don't yet have an amp for it) but for now I would just need to know what amp would be needed to power the stock door speakers.

Thanks for your replies so far guys

Comment

Or if it's easier to just play stereo sound from the line out without surround it wouldn't be much of a problem. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Yikes, you don't exactly have a car friendly audio output on your computer there. If I were you I'd just hook up 2 of those speaker ports to a 4 channel amplifier and set it in stereo mode so you just output 1 channel to each side.

The reason I say stereo instead of surround is because all music is recorded in stereo only so even if you have 4 channel surround sound, it's only going to be playing 2 channel when you play a song anyway so what's the point? The only time you'll notice is if you play a DVD which I'm guessing will be.....not so much. I never have.
            Ampie Case
            2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
            Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

surround sound is garbage for cars anyway. a car's interior is too small and all rear fill does is distort the sound field. also, in a car, the front speakers are so close to you that its not much different then using a pair of headphones. you just dont need surround in a car, and youll notice if everything setup properly you will still get rear fill just because thats the way the audio is naturally recorded (its called dolby pro logic, you might have heard of it, its the reason you can get 5.1 audio from of a stereo 2ch output)

Comment

Working...
              X