Cut dual 12" sub enclosure in half?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut dual 12" sub enclosure in half?

I have a box similar to this, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...12+-GRAY-.html

It's got a port in the middle that goes straight back and then small ports on each side of that port into each sub.

I don't want the dual sub setup anymore, could I just cut the entire box in half down the port and use a single sub without compromising the "sound quality?"

no reason you couldn't. i would seal it completely myself with one sub, i like the extra punch of a sealed sub when you only have one. really depends on your application though.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
      no reason you couldn't. i would seal it completely myself with one sub, i like the extra punch of a sealed sub when you only have one. really depends on your application though.
      I could do that. Guess I have a project when I get home tonight.

Comment

it looks like youll end up with about 1.5+ cubic foot sealed if you do that. for many subs, that is a lot of room and will create a very deep sound. it completely depends on what sub you have though.

Comment

I'm wondering if I should leave the middle port and cut slightly next to it, that way it's still at least a properly constructed single port box.

I might do that, nothing to lose.

Comment

The port length is connected to the tuning frequency of the box. If you cut it in half and shorten the port length you will affect how the box sounds. It's been a while since I built a ported box (I'm into sealed or infinite baffle right now) so I can't remember if you should stuff the port with acoustifill or pull all of the stuffing out of the box.

You'll need to play around with it because the sound will change quite a bit.
            Nick - 08 GG Element
            Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

Comment

Originally posted by ik632 View Post
              The port length is connected to the tuning frequency of the box. If you cut it in half and shorten the port length you will affect how the box sounds. It's been a while since I built a ported box (I'm into sealed or infinite baffle right now) so I can't remember if you should stuff the port with acoustifill or pull all of the stuffing out of the box.

You'll need to play around with it because the sound will change quite a bit.
              i like to line all of my boxes with fiberglass insulation(acoustafill sucks in comparison) to cut down on inner box resonances.

for the box that you linked to, it will be ok to cut half of it off, as each side looks to have its own slot port. but,on your box, if both sides share a single output port, than you will neeed to do some tuning to get it to work properly.
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

ik632 and soundman98 are right.

No matter what you do, assuming you want a good sound, you should:

- Use the correct volume that your specific driver (subwoofer) requires
                - If doing ported, tune it to manuf. spec and keep port velocity down
                - Use 3/4" MDF and proper bracing

Now, if you can't build your own and must buy one, try to find a premade box as close to the manuf spec as possible.

WinISD is the standard program for testing driver/enclosure configurations to predict SPL, response curve, xmax, etc.

ik632, are you in the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled?

Comment

hes not trying to build a competition subwoofer box, he just wants to know if he can simply cut the one he has in half and still get decent sound out of it...

Comment

That's alot of hassle. You'll have to recarpet the thing, and it'll probably look ugly after. Dual ported boxes are worth more, why dont you just sell off the box on craigslist and buy a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                      That's alot of hassle. You'll have to recarpet the thing, and it'll probably look ugly after. Dual ported boxes are worth more, why dont you just sell off the box on craigslist and buy a new one?
                      a brilliant idea!
                      why didn't i think of that? i guess i am just so used to modifying things to work...
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

I'm not talking about competition, I'm talking about sound quality. The OP said he wants to not compromise sound quality.

Sound quality means realizing the importance of a matched enclosure. Buying a nice subwoofer and putting it into a generic enclosure could yield worse results than putting a budget subwoofer in its perfect enclosure.

Comment

Yup, sound quality wise I would not saw off half of a ported box and hope it will work. Sealed boxes might be more tolerant of that, but a ported box will sound horrible if not matched to the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix750 View Post
                            I'm not talking about competition, I'm talking about sound quality. The OP said he wants to not compromise sound quality.

Sound quality means realizing the importance of a matched enclosure. Buying a nice subwoofer and putting it into a generic enclosure could yield worse results than putting a budget subwoofer in its perfect enclosure.
                            i suggested sealed for one, and also if he is looking for the same sound quality he won't lose it by just cutting the box in half and re-sealing it. from what it sounds like, it is a generic setup... its not going to sound amazing in any case. but if he went sealed, its probably going to be too big... meaning he can throw in some blocks of wood to tighten it up. its not rocket science when you go sealed, and if he is even considering hacking up his box then obviously he is not looking to spend extra money. he also never said what sub he has, where its going or anything... we really cant suggest anything.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure I have the right subs for the enclosure to begin. They're fitted for 12"s but someone sold me the box with two subs in it for 50 bucks years ago. None of this stuff is of any quality in my opinion.

The port goes down the center of the box in between the two subs and then at the back wall it makes a 90 degree turn into the rear of the subs. If cut slightly past the middle on one side, I'll end up with one box with the middle port now being on the end. I'll have to add a small piece of to that corner where the missing box side was.

Selling it and buying another one might not be a bad idea, but its just easier to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X