Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making my own RCA aux-in on back harness of headunit ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Making my own RCA aux-in on back harness of headunit ?

    Hi all,

    I don't have an aux-in on my headunit. Is there any way I can splice in the back harness with my 2 RCA wires coming from the computer?

    Thanks

  • #2
    that depends on if you have an amp or just the head unit.

    if you have an amp, yes you can splice into the wiring harnis but you will get sound output all the time from the headunit and the carputer and the headunit will not control the carputer's volume.

    if you don't have an amp, no, this will not do anything .

    Comment


    • #3
      if your radio is capable of adding a aux in, cd changer, or ipod hook up, than you might be able to hook up the the deck, otherwise, what cmos said
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


      next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

      Comment


      • #4
        if you have an amp, yes you can splice into the wiring harnis but you will get sound output all the time from the headunit and the carputer and the headunit will not control the carputer's volume.
        One further issue:

        You are playing your aux input across the output fets of the head unit. On my head unit, this causes distortion. I made a relay setup that senses the jack insertion.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just wanted to say that if your head unit has a changer port (there aren't many that don't), there are many commercially available means to make that into an aux input. You can also sometimes splice into an existing changer/Sirius/XM input cable and provide an additional input via a headphone jack that will interrupt the changer/Sirius/XM input in favor of whatever you plug into it. You could equip such a splice with a manual a/b switch.

          You could also A/B switch the output of the head unit (RCA's to your amps) with your computer output.
          I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

          Comment


          • #6
            No cd changer port either.

            Looks like I'll have to wire in my other Sony headunit that has the aux input! I'm just afraid of the sound quality VS the JVC.

            Comment


            • #7
              as much as sony sucks, it really shouldnt make that big of a difference.

              Comment


              • #8
                if you have aux-in. Chances that if you know which wirings you can splice some together with the rca cable to make two. I seen it done in aftermarket HU setups.
                My CarPc Blog (<This is outdated. I have updated to a fully running Carpc System)http://acurafuse.blogspot.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hello

                  Hey do some research on your head unit. I researched my Pioneer and learned how to make a homemade AUX adapter the AUX adapter from Pioneer was $50. If you are familiar with pin-outs and low voltage wiring and a hot glue gun then resort to this.

                  Leo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                    as much as sony sucks, it really shouldnt make that big of a difference.
                    Well I have nothing against Sony, it's just that I had that head unit in my other car and with the volume loud, the sound would distort enough that I thought my speakers were shot (factory speakers). I replaced that unit with a Kenwood unit that I really really like that was worth near 600$ in 2002 and the speakers played like new ones.

                    Now in my current car, 2002 Lexus IS300, I have great factory speakers that work like a charm with the JVC head unit. Really it sounds great and no distortion when loud. I'm just afraid to loose that great soud if I install the Sony. I've never tried it in that car so I have no clue of how it will sound.

                    But then again, like you say, it may not make a big difference, both the JVC and Sony I have are low end 120 - 140$ head units. The Kenwood in that car would be incredible but I sold it to my mother. I might try to trade with her if the Kenwood has an aux-in! hehe

                    Hey do some research on your head unit. I researched my Pioneer and learned how to make a homemade AUX adapter the AUX adapter from Pioneer was $50. If you are familiar with pin-outs and low voltage wiring and a hot glue gun then resort to this.

                    Leo
                    Really? Do you have a suggestion on where to search?

                    Thanks all for your comments!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It has the AUX input in the rear, I just need to buy the 5$ cable that has the RCA inputs on one end and the special plug for the rear!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SebLex View Post
                        It has the AUX input in the rear, I just need to buy the 5$ cable that has the RCA inputs on one end and the special plug for the rear!


                        Well you made out then. Pioneer is a little pricy. But have found ways of fabricating homemade plugs for both Pioneer and Kenwood.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SebLex View Post
                          Well I have nothing against Sony, it's just that I had that head unit in my other car and with the volume loud, the sound would distort enough that I thought my speakers were shot (factory speakers). I replaced that unit with a Kenwood unit that I really really like that was worth near 600$ in 2002 and the speakers played like new ones.

                          Now in my current car, 2002 Lexus IS300, I have great factory speakers that work like a charm with the JVC head unit. Really it sounds great and no distortion when loud. I'm just afraid to loose that great soud if I install the Sony. I've never tried it in that car so I have no clue of how it will sound.

                          But then again, like you say, it may not make a big difference, both the JVC and Sony I have are low end 120 - 140$ head units. The Kenwood in that car would be incredible but I sold it to my mother. I might try to trade with her if the Kenwood has an aux-in! hehe



                          Really? Do you have a suggestion on where to search?

                          Thanks all for your comments!!
                          As far as search suggestions, I mainly just inputed into ever so cumbersome Google my head unit make and model and followed that with something like DIY aux cable.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SebLex View Post
                            Well I have nothing against Sony, it's just that I had that head unit in my other car and with the volume loud, the sound would distort enough that I thought my speakers were shot (factory speakers). I replaced that unit with a Kenwood unit that I really really like that was worth near 600$ in 2002 and the speakers played like new ones.

                            Now in my current car, 2002 Lexus IS300, I have great factory speakers that work like a charm with the JVC head unit. Really it sounds great and no distortion when loud. I'm just afraid to loose that great soud if I install the Sony. I've never tried it in that car so I have no clue of how it will sound.

                            But then again, like you say, it may not make a big difference, both the JVC and Sony I have are low end 120 - 140$ head units. The Kenwood in that car would be incredible but I sold it to my mother. I might try to trade with her if the Kenwood has an aux-in! hehe



                            Really? Do you have a suggestion on where to search?

                            Thanks all for your comments!!

                            sounds like youre running the speakers directly off the radio, in that case there would be a concern about your headunits quality. if you have an amp though, and are just using the headunit for inputs and light equalizing its usually much less noticeable what you have there.

                            i did the input mod to my pioneer too. all i did was take like 18awg speaker wire, cut the end flush, and jam it onto the pin it needed to go to. do that to the other 3 wires and secure the group with epoxy. permanent pigtail aux rca input.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X