Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch + Relay Possible

Does anyone know if I can do this?

I have two wires, wired into my game console. I want to be able to turn on the game console when the car is on by ignition on/off using relay. In between the relay I want to be able to control the on/off sequence if I want to turn on the game console or decide turn off using a switch (Switch on position) in between?

Here is a picture I made. I am using the Dei 528T relay (Has wires unlisted)

* The wires color are for illustration.

My CarPc Blog (<This is outdated. I have updated to a fully running Carpc System)http://acurafuse.blogspot.com

i would put an on/off/on switch in between the IGN and the relay. The first ON would be tied to the IGN switch so that when ur turn the key on it will turn on the console. Then in OFF the console would stay off no matter what. Then the other ON would be hooked to a constant power source so then when you flip it in that position the console stays on regardless of the IGN position

Comment

Originally posted by atrixstars View Post
      Does anyone know if I can do this?

I have two wires, wired into my game console. I want to be able to turn on the game console when the car is on by ignition on/off using relay. In between the relay I want to be able to control the on/off sequence if I want to turn on the game console or decide turn off using a switch (Switch on position) in between?
      This was my initial master power switch a few years ago.

I've since put in an additional relay to pull the switch out of the flow of power i.e., reduce the current flowing thru it.

Check out the discussion in this thread. And this one.
      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

thanks for the reply.

Can anyone describe this better using a relay with (30,85,86,87) prongs. I understand that he can connect the ignition to the "power switch" and it switches on the inverter. Is very similar to the above post.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/hard...-inverter.html
        My CarPc Blog (<This is outdated. I have updated to a fully running Carpc System)http://acurafuse.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by bratnetwork View Post
          i would put an on/off/on switch in between the IGN and the relay. The first ON would be tied to the IGN switch so that when ur turn the key on it will turn on the console. Then in OFF the console would stay off no matter what. Then the other ON would be hooked to a constant power source so then when you flip it in that position the console stays on regardless of the IGN position
          This is how I wired up the ign line for my carpc- I just didn't use a relay.

Here is a diargram for a automotive relay-

Pins 85&86 trigger the relay, so one will bee hooked to the ign, the other to your switch. Pin 30 is the common switch lead- also will get power.

Pin 87 will go to the gaming system, this way, the system only gets power when the relay trips
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

thanks for the reply.

I found this old thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/newb...itch-help.html

Can anyone comment on how it wired to the relay from igntion to a switch? Using relay with (30,85,86,87)?

Or can I do ignition > relay > switch > inverter? (Will this blow the switch?)

Comment

i am starting to lose you on what your trying to acomplish. a relay is kind of like a high power switch-- it will turn higher loads on and off from a low signal, that might not be able to power the accesory that you want to use.

it would be much easier to allow the switch to control the relay to power the game system. it is posible that the switch might go out if you need more power than what the switch can handle. it is also uneccesary to have the ign circuit constantly powering the relay even if your don't want it on.

the easiest way would be to either use 2 switches, one with a ign line (and a diode to keep the voltage from going back on the line and powering up the rest of the car) and one with a constantly powered line going to it. both would go to turn the relay on or off.

gizmoq's switch or similar would work even better, and you would only need one. though i am having a brain fart, and can't think of what type of switch that is (is it a dpdt?)...

edit: figured it out: for using only one switch, you would need a 3 position dpst: switched acc to 1st sw lead, relay connects to common lead, and 12 volt constant connects to 2nd sw lead.

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Let me clear a bit up. I already have powered all my equipments using a either a inverter or direct from battery. It all has been properly fused. I simply need to 'turn-on' the devices using a relay from the ignition/acc line. In the middle I want to be able to add a rocker switch. I have an idea of how it might work but I want an opinion. My diagram might be wrong, I think I need to move the ignition/acc line somewhere else.

Here is what I have:

Comment

If you flip that switch to the far left side, you will get a short circuit. Instead, run the battery + to the point where you have the switch showing the ground.

That allows the system to operate with the ignition when the switch is at the far right and to operate without ignition when set to the far left.

Of course, the way you have it hooked up runs all of the current through the switch. Normally, the switch simply energizes the coil of the relay and the higher current runs through the relay points.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                    If you flip that switch to the far left side, you will get a short circuit. Instead, run the battery + to the point where you have the switch showing the ground.
                    I cannot do that. My ground pin is for the 'led' ground.

Here is a diagram for switch:

Pin 1 to a +12 wire
                    Pin 2 to your electrical device
                    pin 3 (brass) to earth/ground for led.

Comment

I think that I have exactly what you are wanting to do... I made it back in 2000 when I was running my MP3 box in my car.

It is a self keeping relay, triggered by a push switch with a toggle switch for the primary power switch. It basically was a relay and an SCR. I will have to see if I can pull it out of the car and get a schematic and pics from it.

DaveP in Ohio
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by atrixstars View Post
                        I cannot do that. My ground pin is for the 'led' ground.

Here is a diagram for switch:

Pin 1 to a +12 wire
                        Pin 2 to your electrical device
                        pin 3 (brass) to earth/ground for led.
                        Ah! In that case, you are okay.
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

lol, i almost didn't catch that ground on the switch...

everything looks good except that you are missing a powered line to 30 on the relay.

the way that you have it in the diagram, the devices hooked up will only stay off if the switch is off, or power on/off with the car if the switch is on. there is nothing in the diagram to keep the console on when the car is off-- you will either need a double throw, single pole switch, or will need to use 2 switches.

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

I changed to two relays so the switch only needs a low current always on 12V battery line into the center pin. The two outer pins go to each relay's pin 30.(diodes did go inline each relay's pin 87a to prevent power going across fronone relay to the other) One relay has power all the time coming from my distribution block fed directly off the battery and the other is a high current ACC line fed from the main fusebox. This way when the switch is OFF neither relay is energized ever(even with the car running). With the switch in the ON position, the relay connected to the battery is energized an the PC is on all the time. With the switch in the AUTO position the PC is power via the high current ACC line and it comes on when the car is on and when the ignition is turned off it goes off, too.

Like I said above, this was done to reduce the current flowing thru the switch. As a side benefit, it also significantly reduced the RFI noise seeping in through the power line, keeps the switch from failing, and allows me to use the switch for more than one powered system. I found this method to be the most effective, safe, and reliable master power switch configuration for the automotive environment.
                            HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                              lol, i almost didn't catch that ground on the switch...

everything looks good except that you are missing a powered line to 30 on the relay.

the way that you have it in the diagram, the devices hooked up will only stay off if the switch is off, or power on/off with the car if the switch is on. there is nothing in the diagram to keep the console on when the car is off-- you will either need a double throw, single pole switch, or will need to use 2 switches.
                              thanks everyone for the replies. I understand I am missing the +12 from car batt to 30.

(Short: Version) - Last Question - Read this
                              So if I add car battery to terminal 30, when powering it will either the pin 87 or 87a be giving me alot of power to flicker the relay? Another word safe?

(Long Version): I dont think I need to get a dtdp switch since I already purchased like many of the led stsp switches already. My main concern is, if getting power from acc or +12 car batt will there be alot of power transferring to the terminal 87 or 87a (when car off)? These switches are not for 'powering-up' the equipments but just to turn it on. I dont want it to fried or blow anything in between by giving it power. I just finish all my wiring yesterday and just figuring out how should I wired the relays+switches. However I get used two relays but really see no benefit.

Comment

Working...
                              X