i searched the site, I SWEAR!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i searched the site, I SWEAR!

this is my first post and i really need some help. i am a 4x4 guy with a suzuki sidekick. i don't have a stereo, nor do i want to put one in. what i DO want to do is put a small headphone jack (input) for my mp3 player into my dash. i just need to know where i can get some kind of "amp" to make the headphone signal powerful enough to run car speakers. i have ruined 2 headunits getting muddy and because of this, i did away with a stereo completely. i put gauges in my dash where the stereo once lived. now i want something i can just plug in to and conceal (weatherproof) within the dash. i have a perfect spot where i can put the jack. i saw a post where a guy requested the same info. to hook his computer up to car speakers without a headunit. everyone told him to just buy a cheap headunit and use the "aux/ line in" jack. i am a lover of music and 4 wheeling and want to have both at the same time. i greatly appreciate your help.

side note: i have four jvc marine speakers in the rig already (i know someone was going to mention this).

Mount an amp in or on the roof liner and pray the water and mud don't get that deep .lol

Comment

"some kind of "amp" to make the headphone signal powerful enough to run car speakers" = speaker amplifier.
      I think you can only get around this by making a waterproof enclosure.

Comment

i was thinking about something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Class-T-TP21-TA2...item2a036c1fc8

Comment

first, i was going to recommend a motorcycle amp, as these are small, and decent enough to make noise..

but with your muddy predicament, i would recommend a marine amp, as these are goign to be coated for light mists of water-- i don't thing that any are completly waterproof, but will hold up better when wet--maybe look around for a boating forum and ask about waterproof amps?.

at the very worst, there is a company called goldenshellback that you might be able to work with to get a amp completly coated in their material that will make it completely water proof. though, last i heard, they are only doing small things like ipods and phones...

http://golden-shellback.com/

one last idea-- assuming that you had all the money in the world for this-- buy a small, high powered amp from http://www.41hz.com and send it to golden shellback to get coated...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by laidout View Post
            this is my first post and i really need some help. i am a 4x4 guy with a suzuki sidekick. i don't have a stereo, nor do i want to put one in. what i DO want to do is put a small headphone jack (input) for my mp3 player into my dash. i just need to know where i can get some kind of "amp" to make the headphone signal powerful enough to run car speakers. i have ruined 2 headunits getting muddy and because of this, i did away with a stereo completely. i put gauges in my dash where the stereo once lived. now i want something i can just plug in to and conceal (weatherproof) within the dash. i have a perfect spot where i can put the jack. i saw a post where a guy requested the same info. to hook his computer up to car speakers without a headunit. everyone told him to just buy a cheap headunit and use the "aux/ line in" jack. i am a lover of music and 4 wheeling and want to have both at the same time. i greatly appreciate your help.

side note: i have four jvc marine speakers in the rig already (i know someone was going to mention this).
            Personally, I'd put a computer in there, and I rekon most other people on this forum would. But I understand it's not for everyone.

If I'm reading your problem right you want to just do away with everything other than the bare essentials, just a jack in your car for your mp3?

If this is the case, most amp's will have an auxillary input (one red phono, one white phono). You can buy a cable that converts stereo jack into aux. The amp should then do the rest, you can obviously use the volume, etc, controls on your mp3 player.

Jack to phono cable: http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280395039108

Amp: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165526#dtab

Note: That amp may not be the right one for you, I know you mentioned the speakers (thanks) but you will need to know what power rating they are so you can get a suitable amplifier. The only things you need to look for in an amp is that it has a 2 phono inputs (assuming you want stereo).

I'm not a pro or anything and there may be unforseen problems as I have never used this method before. But I think most people who put computers in their cars do the same sort of thing. Rip out the head unit all together.

All the best

Comment

For what it's worth... I looked into doing exactly this, a while ago. In the end, the cheapest and most effective thing turned out to be buying a car radio with an audio jack on it.

I dropped thirty bucks on a pair of speakers, and bought this bad boy. Amazon looks to be offering some speakers with it as part of a deal. Twenty bucks on wiring, and you're good to go. For bonus points, you get a radio, and no-one's going to try to steal something that plays tapes.

Gary (-;
              OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
              OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
              mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

You need an amplifier. That's why you were asking about the sound being louder. It needs to be *amplified*.

The motorcycle amp is a good suggestion. They're fairly inexpensive and durable enough for muddy environments.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

^ +1

15 watts a speaker in an open jeep will probably end up disappointing.
                  2003 Chevy S10
                  Truckputer Progress:
                  Planning.......[----------X] 100%
                  Parts...........[---------X-] 99%
                  Fabrication...[---------X-] 99%
                  Upgrades.....[X----------] 1%

Comment

Skipp the amp and speakers... Use earbuds inside your helmet and the MP3 player inside a splash proof bag.. Typical sold for MP3 players and mobile phones.

If you buy some high quality earbuds, you can even get noise cancellation in them

Quick link: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

Comment

lolo, I was going to say the same thing. Headphones!

If your decks are going bad don't you have problems with the speakers getting damaged, too?

How about a marine deck and speakers?

Comment

thanks for the suggestions guys. sorry it took so long to respond. my great grandma is in hospice and isn't going to be around much longer. i usually am much more active on forums, i just joined this one at a bad time i guess. sapporoGuy-i already have marine speakers in the dash and rear of the tracker, and so far they are doing great.
                        i am not wanting the stereo to be loud necessarily, i was just thinking about skipping the headunit altogether and amplifying the signal that comes out of a headphone jack to be strong enough so that myself and my passengers can rock out when we are out in the woods. as far as the marine stereos go- how resilient are these to water? are they just protected against sea spray (mist) or can they get rained on? i ask this because most "marine" applications i've seen appear to be a regular unit with a plastic door that protects the face. if they are pretty resilient to the elements i could mount the stereo above my head i guess... i could weld up a shelf at the top of the windshield and make a box for one of these to sit in. this would be high enough, but mud will still get flung on it i'm sure. would i need to worry about heat if i put a stereo in a small, sealed box (think suit of armor)? basically what i am saying is- 1) mount the stereo on a shelf and run the wires through the windshield pillars. 2) weld a box around the unit so that the only exposed side is the face. 3) have the wires come out of the box in the rear (as usual) and seal the box with caulk or silicone. then my stereo would be mounted almost as high as my intake and i would have a handy shelf. but would i fry the stereo? if i need ventilation i suppose i could cut small slashes into the side and put a lip over them to keep water out. but that is a lot of metal surrounding it that would hold a lot of heat. what do you think?
                        thanks again for all of the suggestions. i will keep considering them all and see what kind of ideas i can come up with. i will keep throwing them out there to you guys.

Comment

i have not taken apart any marine electronics, only read the sales info, so take it with a grain of salt, but all of the medium grade(better known name brand stuff) is supposed to be coated to protect the electronics in case the deck got misted with water.

i know Clarion offers a unit that the front faceplate is completely waterproof, and advertizes it by showing the deck getting sprayed with a water hose while it is turned on(they show it mounted in a boat as it is getting sprayed, so the back still could be less waterproof).

i think that most of the decks are protected from light misting, but i don't think that they would survive so long if the the entire deck(front and back) was getting soaked.

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

i will look into that clarion unit. thanks for the input, soundman98.

Comment

i guess i could have included a link-- though after looking it up, at almost $500, it is probably not the best option...

http://clarion.com/us/en/products/20...409026888.html

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X