Speaker placement questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker placement questions.

I decided to go ahead and get back into the Car PC thing, after being very sick and stressed out. I looked at my third row seat of speakers. I had placed them in the side rear panels, and they barely fit. I have since bought new and more powerful speakers, which has a bigger magnet at the back of it. My idea was to place the speakers at the very top back of each panel and have a new housing built for it in fiberglass. I have a few concerns though, and wanted to ask the audio masters here how I should address them.

1st: Sound differences, due to placement of speakers.

All my speakers are placed in the foot well area of each door. When i added the third row speakers, I did something similar to keep sound even. Obviously with me needing more space, I have decided to place the speakers on top. Will this cause any sound issues? I dont want the sound to be awkward, or am I just overthinking that the sound will be messed up. I know in cars, the rear row of speakers are in the back panel before the rear windsheild, so I have to assume its ok? Basically the rear speakers will be the same height as my front center speaker, which is in the top of my dash. I cannot place the speakers low, because of my dogs. Placing the speakers lower would cause me to loose floor space, which I am already upset that my PC units take up. I was even thinking of maybe putting them in the rear pillars, but do not know how that will sound.

2nd: Speakers and PC units.

If some of you do not know my design, one whole rear side of my car will house 6 PC units, stacked ontop of each other. This happens to intergrate into one of the side panels. One of the speakers would have to be ontop of that assembly with all the computers. Do you think i will have issues with it? My logic is saying that a speaker magnet so powerful will cause issues with the hard drives.

Please any concerns or ideas will be great.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Your first question is about staging basically. You said you want it to "not sound awkward" with rear speakers. The thing about rear speakers is that you don't really need them. Most people in audio quality competitions just run front speakers. The whole goal to setting up a sound stage is to make it sound like you are "at a concert", by that I mean like the music is coming from the center of the windshield and some distance away.

By putting in rear speakers, you lose some of that staging, making it sound like the music is surrounding you, which is fine if you are OK with that. There are also other various things you can do to minimize the loss of the front staging. To answer your question, its hard to say. You'll have to place them temporarily to know for sure if you will be happy with the sound, but I can't see any reason why it would "sound awkward". You can always mess with the fade and/or gain on the amp to get a good sound between the fronts and rears.

The second question about speaker magnets and computers, you should be fine as long as the speaker magnet isn't touching the hard drive. Magnetic fields get exponentially weaker the farther away from them you get, so as long as there is some separation there you should be fine(I'm not sure how far away they are), also barriers (computer case) will dissipate the magnetic field somewhat, so unless you have 15" subwoofers in your doors , you should be fine.
    Car PC Project Status
    Audio......[====================] 100%
    Computer.[====================] 100%
    Car.........[====================] 30%
    <------ If my information is helpful, give me some rep! The scale thingy :)

Comment

I am finding that i do not care for rear speakers in any vehicle that I have driven- mostly because I feel that they pull the sound towards the back of the car and add another layer of complexity to fine tuning the entire system.

But for your car- last time I read your build thread a while back, I seem to remeber you talking about having different speakers playing different things- which would make having at least a pair of speakers per row benificial for each row...

The ultimate choice is yours, but overall, if you do decide to use them, try to keep them at the same distance, so that the sound is close to being even.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

If the rear speakers are for extra sound for the rear passengers then it is what it is and accept your fate.

If you want the rear speakers to add to the front stage experience and give more of a spacial feel, you need surround type processing. Even basic simple surround can be pleasing to make the room sound larger.

I don't know what you have available for processing options but if you could get a left minus right (L-R/R-L) signal to them and then delay ~20ms (Haas effect) and then attenuate it will simulate rear wall reverb/ambiance and should not detract too much. This is how old surround sound works. There are of course much more complex algorithms for surround sound today but this is one of the easier methods.

What is up with 6 PCs...did I read that correctly?

The magnetic field of the magnet should in theory only affect magnetic devices (hard drive). If the speaker has a neo magnet or it is shielded you should be fine.
        System always under construction

Comment

My bad, I am not being specific. I understand the whole front staging concept, but it isnt what I am going for 100%. I am going for 7.1 surround sound. Since this car is mainly for multimedia, specifically movies, TV and games, when someone is going to shoot them from the rear, that is where I want thte sound to come from. I essentially drive a big box, so my concern is that by having to place the rear speakers higher for clearence concerns, that rear will over power everything. I guess thats where playing with the gains and stuff comes in though. I guess the only way to figure this out is to buy the speakers and try to install them.

Another issue that has come up is that i do not know what speakers I should get. All the doors have 6 1/2 speakers. This is too big for the third row. If I get oval speakers, then it will fit alot better. My delema is what size oval should I get? They have 6 x 9 and 5 x 7. Obviously 5 x 7 would be the best because its smaller, but will that sacrific sound? The 2 front dash speakers will be 5 x 7, but used mainly for voice. The rear though will have to equal to the 6 1/2 in the doors. Power wise, both the 6 x 9 and 5 x 7 are 100 watt RMS.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

yep, just tweak the gains so they are adding to the effect, and not taking over.

i would say to go with the 5x7's, because these will be a little closer to the cone area of a 6 1/2, but being that they are only for rear effects, what about 5 1/4"?

there is not too much bass in the surround effect channels, in fact, most of the audio in the surround channel is in the higher end of the frequency range, so 5 1/4, or 4" could also work for that.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              yep, just tweak the gains so they are adding to the effect, and not taking over.

i would say to go with the 5x7's, because these will be a little closer to the cone area of a 6 1/2, but being that they are only for rear effects, what about 5 1/4"?

there is not too much bass in the surround effect channels, in fact, most of the audio in the surround channel is in the higher end of the frequency range, so 5 1/4, or 4" could also work for that.
              Really? So I am safe with the 5x7.... Thats great to hear. Well I was looking at the 5 1/4, but my concern is the RMS. The 5 1/4 only handle 80 RMS, where as the 5 x 7 handle 100 RMS, which the AMP puts out. Now if the 5x7 are closer to the 6 1/2, then thats great. I do plan to hear audio music and the way I have set it up in the past is the third row mimics the second row since music is never in 7.1 but usually 5.1, so I want that to be even. Anyways I think i'll go with the 5x7, that is what I am really set on.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Also thanx guys for all your input, especially you Soundman98.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Line of sight un-impeeded sound should be a goal for all speakers. Putting speakers at ear height unobstructed is always a good choice unless it impeeds vision and causes saftey concerns.
                  System always under construction

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
                    Line of sight un-impeeded sound should be a goal for all speakers. Putting speakers at ear height unobstructed is always a good choice unless it impeeds vision and causes saftey concerns.
                    I wish I could put them all at ear height. That though will be to much mods. So I guess only the rears will be up higher. First I will see if the 5x7 can maybe fit in the side panels first. Maybe they arent as deep as a 6 1/2, but its doubtful. I'll get some pictures up for you guys to see.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Today I took down the panels that fit on the rear. I was right, the 6 1/2 will not fit where the old 6 1/2 were. Good thing is, it will fit a 6 1/2 on the top of the panels. My question is, how do I go about doing this. One side is going to be made out of wood, thats the side thats going to also cover the PC systems. Obviously this will work like a speaker box. Should I build a small wood box for the other side too, or make that side out of fiberglass? I was thinking I could build a small one, then wrap it in same leather as the wood version and mount it to the other panel that is not made of wood. What do you guys recommend?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I took the panels down and used one of the 6 1/2 speakers I had bought before to check how it would look. I mounted the speaker in the area I wanted to try and really was not happy. I decided to try the old location and it actually did fit. The hard part is putting the speaker cover on. That is what doesnt make proper clearance. What i am thinking of doing is buying some door panels that went in my car and using the speaker covers from those. Then have them molded into the holes and mount the speaker in the back. That way everything matches. So now I can have 6 1/2 in all 3 rows and have them in similar places in each row.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

if both sides have approximately the same shape, and stiffness, you shouldn't notice a difference from side to side, and should work fine.

if you create a small box for one, and leave the other one open behind the speaker, you will notice a difference-- so just try to get them close as possible...

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                          X