Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help W/Dual Amp setup

Hey Guys,
    Got prob a simple questions for ya. I finally bought my carpc setup, just have a few questions about how i should run my speakers/subs.

I have left over a MTX mono amp with (2) 10inch subs in a bandpass box. I have a 2009 Nissan altima sedan with factory stereo, no bose. What im trying to do is hook all this up to my carputer. I do realize i can get a headunit and go that route, but i dont think i'll have room for that and want to make it as simple as can be.
    I can get a nice 4 channel amp to run the speakers off of, and then run my subs off my mtx amp. My questions stands here: how could i run the wires for the sub input? So that its feeding the subs only the lows and not everything.
    Thanks a lot, sorry if its a stupid question, as i cant seem to find exactly this scenario in searching. Thanks!
    Here is my mobo if it helps. let me know if you need additional info.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500030

Here is the amp i would be using for the speakers:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204ELA4...ures_and_specs

NVM, i think this pic just solved it:

One new concern that i have now is this whole line-level and speaker level inputs, i know nothing about this, going to search crutchfield. Not sure what i have/need.

Comment

your in the right direction, just thinking too hard

instead of trying to figure out how to run a low freq signal into the sub amp, run a fullrange signal into the amp, and use the integrated crossover (that it should have) to only allow the low frequencies through.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

ahh gotcha okay so i have another question. My car has 4 speakers up front and 2 in the back, how would i be connecting these to the amp? just running the two front left ones to one terminal and the same with the right front? then give the back ones there own hookup?

Also im planning on running the subs with an input from an external sound card, i'll need one thats going to give me front/rear/subs outputs, external. any recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Comment

sorry, my last post was in response to your first question, to answer your second question about line level and speaker level: line level is very low voltage(typically 0.5-5 volts), and will not run much more than amp inputs, or could be very quiet on a set of headphones.

speaker level signals are higher voltage, and can run speakers, but should not be connected to the low level inputs of amps, because they will damage them

for your third question: there are different types of speakers, and it sometimes can make a difference, you will need to make sure that all the speakers can take the signal that you will be sending it-- so you might need to make sure that there is at least a capacitor on the speakers that are smaller, to help block the lower frequencies.

otherwise, you will need to measure the resistance of each speaker and make sure that the amp can handle the resistance properly.

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            sorry, my last post was in response to your first question, to answer your second question about line level and speaker level: line level is very low voltage(typically 0.5-5 volts), and will not run much more than amp inputs, or could be very quiet on a set of headphones.

speaker level signals are higher voltage, and can run speakers, but should not be connected to the low level inputs of amps, because they will damage them

for your third question: there are different types of speakers, and it sometimes can make a difference, you will need to make sure that all the speakers can take the signal that you will be sending it-- so you might need to make sure that there is at least a capacitor on the speakers that are smaller, to help block the lower frequencies.

otherwise, you will need to measure the resistance of each speaker and make sure that the amp can handle the resistance properly.
            I got second this great description. I would like to add some things.

Do Get
            *an separate active cross over, it will help with sound. Easier to configure.
            *at least 4 or 8 Gauage wire to your amps. Better power = better sound.
            *good battery and check your alternator to make sure it's good.
            *get some mid line speakers, Sony Xplods, Kenwood, Pioneer etc.
            *get at least an MTX woofer if you plan to have one. I saw you have thier amp.
            and read this about equations you need and if all else fails ask.
            My new install

D945GCLF2, M350 case,Xenarc 700 tsv,m-4 ATX
            Visteon HD radio w/mitches cable, BU-353
            2 Punch 150 amps, 1 Kicker ZX 400.1 watt
            4 Boston Acoustic Speakers,2 Pioneer 10 subs

Comment

solocondeus, i dissagree with you on one point--the active crossover-- while it can make the sound better if properly setup, from the questions that faiz5 has asked, it appears that he is not completely familiar with all of this equipment, or how to set it up, and adding another layer of complexity and setup to it by adding a active crossover will make it even harder and more complex to maintain.

the crossovers on amps these days are usually more than adequate for basic usage, most of them being at least 12db/oct-- making them just as good as some active crossover units, minus a couple features.

so, for now, i think it would be easiest for faiz5 to learn how to control everything he has now, and if he feels that the sound is lacking later on, to start adding the proper components at that time.

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

great thanks a lot for the replies guys. If it helps at all, again i have a 2009 altima sedan with factory stereo, no bose. im sure the battery and altinator are fine as the car isnt 4 months old.
                The amp that i have to push the speakers is this:
                http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=12016335
                says 240watts on the page but the pic is actually 600.
                So i have my places to wire up my speakers, and i'm going to get an external sound card so that i can split the front/rear/subs but i think my few questions were that. im still a little confused as to how i should be hooked up the 4 front speakers. and this whole line level/speaker level stuff. sorry to have you go over things again, just still confused. Thanks

Comment

Don't confuse yourseft a simple connection is the sometimes the rigth path.... Start from the begining is this car going to be a daily driver or a sound machine... If is a daily driver : insted of getting 2 amps get a 5 channel amp. If you going to keep your stock speacker or upgrade the to a better quatity ones, most of the 5.5 or 6.5 speacker come in 4 ohms. So you can connect them in series without much problem(series= + to + and - to -) pretty much any amp will handle the. If you have more them 3,4,6,10 speackers in one 1 line then you'll have to get more amps and different speacker setups.. Speackers and woofer come at 2,4,8 ohms that's the common ones but the have crazy ones at 0.7, 1,3. Etc. the 2ohms (for a daily driver) is for bass or low frequensys 4ohms you get some bass some highs and mids. That's why most stock are 4ohms.. 8ohms are more for mids and high frequensys... If you go with a 5 channel amp you have a lot of options in the amp thwyy come with high and low and low-level switches.. And yhey come very handy when you want to crackup the bass and clear highs.... And try not to use the crossover sometimes if make it wrose when you add up to many electrical and don't have a good ground... You'll get a high pitch from the speackers all the time...
                  Sound machine: if that's what you looking for is a different ball game...
                  Ps: 1 amp = less stress on your alternator, your electrical system will not suffer.
                  98.8 complete
                  95 chevy blazer s10

Comment

you would be fine with a 4 channel amp that you you already have.

the tricky part of your speakers is the extra 2 that you need to hook up-- basically, you need to make sure that you will not hurt the amp.

you will need a ohm meter to make sure that all of the speakers are around 4 ohms.

if they are, 2 pairs(2 for each side) of speakers will get connected in series:
                    http://www.djzone.net/pg/0008/graphics/diagram3.gif

these 4 speakers will be a little quieter than the other 2, but will allow the amp to run better.

while the listing on walmart.com says that the amp is 2 ohm stable, it don't trust it..

you should make sure that you are running all the speakers at or above 4 ohms to keep the amp happy.

i'll go over the line level speaker level thing one more time (i know all these terms can be a little tricky)

line level is the very low voltage signal before it goes into the amp.
                    speaker level is the higher voltage signal that comes out of the amp.

when a amp says that it has 'speaker level inputs' that means that you can send the signal from the factory amp to that aftermarket amp to make the speakers even louder(your amp has these, but are not needed for carputer connection).

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

solocondeus, i dissagree with you on one point--the active crossover--
                      I believe you are right on this point, and I concur.
                      My new install

D945GCLF2, M350 case,Xenarc 700 tsv,m-4 ATX
                      Visteon HD radio w/mitches cable, BU-353
                      2 Punch 150 amps, 1 Kicker ZX 400.1 watt
                      4 Boston Acoustic Speakers,2 Pioneer 10 subs

Comment

Thanks for simplifying that for me soundman. I have a multimeter, would that work as an ohm tester? or could i pick a cheap one up from radio shack.-AH HA! it does have an OHM setting! now just to figure out how to use it haha, ill ask my friend google

As far as buying a 5 channel amp, i cant afford that so im still going to run the two amps and i think i should be fine.

I think im almost ready to rock can't wait. gotta wait on a few more components then i can get to testin and building. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

okay, sorry for such the quick update, but i just tested my speakers. So the 2 front are 2ohms. and the rears are 2ohms as well (it also says on them)
                          I did not test the dash speakers as they are way to hard to get to without removed the whole dash, might even just wait on hooking those up. So looks like i need to run these at 2ohms. how would you guys suggest wiring up 2 front and 2 rear speakers for this.
                          One side note, i saw this connected with the rear speakers, not sure what is is:

looks a lot like this:
                          http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127BB15...z-cut-off.html
                          dont ya think?

Comment

you would be fine with a 4 channel amp that you you already have.

the tricky part of your speakers is the extra 2 that you need to hook up-- basically, you need to make sure that you will not hurt the amp.

you will need a ohm meter to make sure that all of the speakers are around 4 ohms.

if they are, 2 pairs(2 for each side) of speakers will get connected in series:
                            http://www.djzone.net/pg/0008/graphics/diagram3.gif

these 4 speakers will be a little quieter than the other 2, but will allow the amp to run better.

while the listing on walmart.com says that the amp is 2 ohm stable, it don't trust it..

you should make sure that you are running all the speakers at or above 4 ohms to keep the amp happy.

So from reading this, doesn't look like i should be trying to push 4 speakers at 2ohms each?
                            How would you recommend i wire up 2 front and 2 back (i'm going to leave the extra front 2 out for now)

Comment

i had a nice whole post, and then accidentally hit 'tab', and then 'backspace' all lost it all!!

take 2:

your amp support page for anyone interested: http://esupport.sony.com/LA/perl/mod...?mdl=XMGTX6040

according to the specs(apparently, walmart got this one correct), your amp is 2 ohm stable, meaning that other than those 2 speakers you haven't tested yet, it will power all 4 speakers, and will do it without a complaint.

the problem i have with 2 ohm is a personal thing-- i really dislike 2 ohm setups, mostly because they are more expensive than comparable 4 ohm setups, and are generally only used to get more power, or loudness out of subwoofers. i have not heard of any advantage of 2 ohm setups other than those-- though, i think that 2 ohm has slightly less clarity, but that is based more on personal opinion than any facts.

to kill 2 birds with one stone, the usb sound card you posted, looks just plain cheap, and the reviews seem to reflect its cheapness--it seems that audio clarity is hit-or-miss, depending on the unit, and driver support for vista/win7 is not great. that might not be a issue now if you use xp, but we all have to face teh music at some point-- xp is already at least 3 years old, and they are slowing down on updates... eventually, you will need to upgrade to win7, and then would need a new audio card...

after looking over all of the listings at new egg, i honestly do not feel comfortable to recommend any audio card that costs less than $100.

the 7.1 cards for $40-50, i beleive that i have seen those before, and they do not rate horrible, but they are a small campany, so drivers/software might be a issue.

the x-fi, there are multiple threads that sum up my, and others experience, and opinion on them, and i cannot recommend them because of their poor driver support, bloatware, lagging post times on certain systems, and did i mention poor driver support?

the faq with usb sound cards is still relatively accurate, so it is a good starting point for reliable brands, just don't try getting away to cheaply "you get what you pay for"

for the pic that you posted, it does not appear to be part of the audio system, though it would not be a bad idea to call a local dealer to confirm that, or find out what it really does.

and now i click on 'post quick reply'..so much for being short...

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X