Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a grounding issue?

Hi all,

I have kind of an interesting issue I'm hoping you can help with. My CarPC has some fairly loud static using onboard audio. It does not fluctuate with volume, so if I turn the music up enough I can't hear the static. I figure this is because my ground/power/audio are all basically pretty close to each other, but here's the interesting part: I unplug the audio from the motherboard and instead plug it into the zune (without moving the wires much) and the static drops to near nothing. So my thoughts are a grounding issue with the Mobo or interference from the power/ground wires affecting audio on the mobo.

Currently using:
    Via epia m13000 (yeah, it's old)
    M2-ATX
    Power, ground, audio wired to the factory harness (line-level audio into harness goes to factory amp)

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I have a few ideas but I'm not sure where to start.
    Brian
    2008 Grand Prix GXP
    [=====-------] 50% - Main Hardware Complete

I would first be looking at a grounding issue, How currently do you have your setup installed? Do you have a short common grounding loop?
    2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
    Base System = Raspberry Pi
    Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Originally posted by mayhembdm666 View Post
      I would first be looking at a grounding issue, How currently do you have your setup installed? Do you have a short common grounding loop?
      Here's the general setup at the moment (click for larger):

I'll have to try grounding the M2 directly to the car (instead of the harness) with a shorter cable tomorrow night. I thought going through the harness would prevent this issue, but I guess I was wrong. The fact that the zune works perfectly leads me to suspect a power/gnd issue as the audio wiring must be good. At least I know that looking at grounding issues is a reasonable place to start.
      Brian
      2008 Grand Prix GXP
      [=====-------] 50% - Main Hardware Complete

Comment

Working...
      X