Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost all my equipment was stolen, opinions on new gear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost all my equipment was stolen, opinions on new gear?

Well I was just about happy with my CarPC, when some little criminal decided to break into my vehicle while it was in the body shop. The little jerk/s got a few other rides as well but I am only concerned with my own...duhhhh. So the thieves got away with my amps, my capacitor, and a bunch of personal property. All this happened on November 12th/13th (a Friday, should have seen that one coming) and the body shops insurance has only just now gotten around to settling up with me. I haven't been able to use my system since November, and I have been getting really tired of nit-picking every odd little noise my ride makes. So here I am about to get a check for a fair amount of money to replace the gear, and I am wanting to make my purchases wisely. So I turn to you my fellow mp3car.com members to ask for some honest opinions on the equipment I am looking at getting.

First I will let you know what is being replaced. I had an Alpine V-12 Expert series 2/4 channel amp (was 35 RMS 50 Peak per ch never bridged it so I dont know what it did bridged), a Rockford Fosgate 2/1 amp (500a2 250x2 @2ohms or 500x1 @4ohms), and a 4 farad Power Acoustik stiffening cap. I had no subs, but the amp was there in case I ever got any in the ride again. The Alpine was pushing the 4 factory speaker locations. I had a friend set me up with some Kenwood speakers for my front doors when the factory ones blew out, but the rear door speakers are factory.

I am not a huge stereo buff anymore and I really just want a system that has some thump and can be turned up without distortion and crappy sound. I have a friend who said I can purchase all my amps/etc. through him at cost plus sales tax. So I am looking through his catalogs at his shop and it seems like the best brand he has is Power Acoustik, (I have a few friends with PA equipment and they all said that they were happy with their purchases) I just don't like their subs. I was looking at their new stack-able series called the "stax" series. They have a 4 ch and a class d mono-block that I thought would fit the bill quite nicely and leave me enough money to purchase some new components like door speakers, a sub, etc.

I was just curious what everyone here thinks about the Power Acoustic stuff, if they have had any good or bad experiences with their products. I understand that the low end companies tend to brag on the specs of their equipment, so don't have to preach.

The equipment I was looking at was:

2 Pairs of the XP2K -60C for the front and rear doors
    http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/..._COMP_xp2k.htm
    1 Stax 1600/4 to power the front and rear speakers
    http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/..._amp_stax.html
    1 Stax 4000/1d to power a sub or subs
    http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/..._amp_stax.html
    1 PCX-5F 4 farad capacitor to keep from sucking too much juice from the rest of my vehicle
    http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/...O_addon_pc.htm

So let me know what you think and remember I get this stuff at stupid low prices if I decide to go the power acoustik route
    So Far: MII10k, 1GB PC3200, 100GB HD, M2-ATX PS, Ampie Case, Panasonic CD-RW DVD-ROM. Orinoco Gold, Lilliput 629, WiFi, TV/FM, and Amateur Radio Antennas, BU-353
    NEED TO BUY: AMPS MINE WERE STOLEN!
    NEED TO INSTALL...EVERYTHING, AGAIN

I am familiar with PA, I believe they bought Planet Audio as well. I guess it you can get an opportunity to hear someones system or even a board with it installed, then you can make a decision that's right for you. You could easily get 10 yas and 10 nas from people here because sound quality is subjective.
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Yeah, I kinda figured that I would get equal thumbs up/down, I guess I was more interested in the amps, and if anyone here has had any problems with them. I just wanted to know if I could rely on a PA amp to last like my RF or Alpine. I was also liking the remote gain control on the class-d
      So Far: MII10k, 1GB PC3200, 100GB HD, M2-ATX PS, Ampie Case, Panasonic CD-RW DVD-ROM. Orinoco Gold, Lilliput 629, WiFi, TV/FM, and Amateur Radio Antennas, BU-353

Comment

i remember looking at those amps for my own install, but wouldn't get as good of a deal, so i didn't--but they don't look very bad-- most of what pa has seems at least decent-- not super amazing, but not bargin bin junk..

also, ditch the cap-- it won't help anything but lightening your wallet, even if it is purchased at cost...

basically, caps don't have the same voltage properties as a normal battery-- according to what i have read, even a tiny 5-7ah battery will have a bigger, better effect on the system, and its voltage stability than the cap would.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Well I spoke with the insurance company who has been holding out on paying out, and they decided to cut me a check, they should mail it by... well today I guess technically speaking (its after midnight now). I am now torn on the whole capacitor issue, I have been reading pros and cons to having one, pros being that they can supply the voltage needed during larger power draws, cons being that if it isn't really needed, it can create an even heavier draw on a taxed electrical system. I am going to have to do more research on the matter. If anyone has some suggested reading that would be grand. I would prefer to plan this system out, as I don't want to rebuild it again after I complete this one (at least til I get a different ride) I will shoot the prices to you guys on the components that I had already looked into and see if you think that they are worth it.

Comment

here is a link to a discussion on the electrical properties of caps:
            http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...howtopic=85238
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Well I read that article and also a follow up and I think before I even start shopping for a cap, I had actually better check into my wiring, alternator, and battery. I ran 1/O gauge wire from my battery to my rear distribution block. I have a "what I could afford" battery from Wal-Mart I will look at it in the morning and see what it's ratings are. I am however curious how I can find out what the output of my alternator is. I need to take the time and figure out all my system loads, and check into the ratings on the amps as well. I have a lot on my plate it seems, I will try and get started in the morning as I have to take my girlfriend to work... well in like 3 hours I gotta get to sleep!!! I will post my findings after I take her to work.

Comment

"I am however curious how I can find out what the output of my alternator is"

Try one of the auto parts websites like www.autozone.com
                input your vehicle, look up the replacement alternator and see if the description included the amp output.
                My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Well I didn't have a chance to look at the alternator today except for a brief glance, and it looks as though it is a re-manufactured. I took PhilGs advice and I am looking at AutoZones web-site and the highest output I see is 100 and 105 amp output. I guess it's time to see what all the systems total out to for power consumption and see how well my PC and system will play along. I really don't like the fact that the manufacturers web-site for Power Acoustic doesn't have ALL the technical specifications, like max current draw, etc. Just one big table bragging their max power output. Makes it kinda hard to order the correct fuses, breakers, etc. without waiting for the amps to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                  X