Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Card.. is this possible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sound Card.. is this possible

    ok so i needed a sound card that had decent preout levels. i chose the audigy zs2 pci soundcard. well ive been doing to researching and something i missed before is securing th card into the slot. im wondering if there is a way to use the pci card through usb? some sort of converter? ive been looking everywhere and all i can find are pci to usb port adapters. any help?
    CarPc Progress
    Planning 100%
    Assembly & Fabwork 80%
    Installation 95%
    Bugs worked out 45%

  • #2
    Sorry, but I don't think such a device/external enclosure is made nor do I believe that it is possible to make due to the connectivity requirements the pci bus has with the typical desktop motherboard.
    does your laptop have a pcimcia or express card? If so you can use a similar soundcard that utilizes that slot, If not you can get a usb to pcimcia/expresscard adapter. And there is always the external usb soundcards.
    The best way I've personally found for reliability is optical or digital spdif to an external sound processor, they typically have more than adequate preamp levels. And this method reduces or eliminates any noise from the computer using typical analog means (RCAs to car amplifiers). It may prove more expensive, but it has provided more than adequate results for me.
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

    PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

    Comment


    • #3
      when comparing computer sound cards to aftermarket head units, the head unit has always had a better output voltage-- so far, i have not seen any sound cards that have enough voltage to drive a amp as good as a head unit.

      i would recommend a couple of preamps [insert jl audio cl-rlc plug here/] if you don't want to spend $900 on a audio proccessor.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


      next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
        when comparing computer sound cards to aftermarket head units, the head unit has always had a better output voltage-- so far, i have not seen any sound cards that have enough voltage to drive a amp as good as a head unit.

        i would recommend a couple of preamps [insert jl audio cl-rlc plug here/] if you don't want to spend $900 on a audio proccessor.
        yeah i know that the soundcard preout isnt strong enough. i have a phoenix gold line driver which is essentially produced by audio control. i needed a card that put out around 1-2 volts and the line driver will take it from there to the amps. my biggest choice in that card was that i need 3 line outs (2 front, 2 rear, 2 sub) and also a line in for my directed hd radio while maintaining the 1-2 volt requirement

        i have the desktop version of the card not the laptop audigy 2zs (i misspelled it the first time)
        ive just heard so much about usb soundcards slowing down boot times as well as issues from resume. reliability and consistency is key for me.
        CarPc Progress
        Planning 100%
        Assembly & Fabwork 80%
        Installation 95%
        Bugs worked out 45%

        Comment


        • #5
          This probably won't give you much hope...and it's subjective too...but...
          I've used both a USB Audigy and a USB X-Fi and thought that the onboard sound was better. They did slow down boot times, and I'm assuming the poorer sound quality was due to the low output voltage on the USB units.
          I've since switched to a PCI-E Asus Xonar DX and the sound is so much more alive than ever.
          JL-Audio amps driving Infinity speakers.

          Comment


          • #6
            you might be talking about the creative x-fi usb card and intel boards-- i used one for a little while, and it took about 20-30 seconds longer to initialize before booting. my newest card, a esi gigaport hd(still a usb card) doesn't even add a noticeable amount to my boot time...

            it seems it is primarily a issue with creatives drivers, and intel boards, though no one has been able to figure it out past that...


            i dont really understand why you need a 1-2v line bfore the preamp-- that is what they are designed to do-- my cl-rlc's do a great job of upping the signal from the low level of the gigaport hd..
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


            next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ShortyDoo View Post
              ok so i needed a sound card that had decent preout levels. i chose the audigy zs2 pci soundcard. well ive been doing to researching and something i missed before is securing th card into the slot. im wondering if there is a way to use the pci card through usb? some sort of converter? ive been looking everywhere and all i can find are pci to usb port adapters. any help?
              im assuimg based on ur question... u have limited space in your pc case?
              in regards to having the pci card standing upright..

              could any one these help your in ur issue?

              more specifically this one?

              if i am wrong about what ur intention is, i aplogize
              trinybwoy

              2006 Mazda6 Carpc

              2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nst6563 View Post
                This probably won't give you much hope...and it's subjective too...but...
                I've used both a USB Audigy and a USB X-Fi and thought that the onboard sound was better. They did slow down boot times, and I'm assuming the poorer sound quality was due to the low output voltage on the USB units.
                I've since switched to a PCI-E Asus Xonar DX and the sound is so much more alive than ever.
                JL-Audio amps driving Infinity speakers.
                maybe subjective but opinions are always helpful since you never know what they will uncover. thanks

                Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
                im assuimg based on ur question... u have limited space in your pc case?
                in regards to having the pci card standing upright..

                could any one these help your in ur issue?

                more specifically this one?

                if i am wrong about what ur intention is, i aplogize
                saving space is never a bad thing lol. ive custom fabbed version 1 of my case. version 2 is in the planning stages to fix the problems with v1. one of the being overall size. v1 is 9 x 9 x 9 i believe. i looked at the risers and riser cables but was really concerned about a card hovering right about the processor fan. it seems like that would block airflow which is not a good thing. if im worried about nothing please let me know and ill probably do the riser.

                Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                you might be talking about the creative x-fi usb card and intel boards-- i used one for a little while, and it took about 20-30 seconds longer to initialize before booting. my newest card, a esi gigaport hd(still a usb card) doesn't even add a noticeable amount to my boot time...

                it seems it is primarily a issue with creatives drivers, and intel boards, though no one has been able to figure it out past that...


                i dont really understand why you need a 1-2v line bfore the preamp-- that is what they are designed to do-- my cl-rlc's do a great job of upping the signal from the low level of the gigaport hd..
                i just looked at the esi gigaport hd...does that have a line in? well the 1-2v was just so it didnt have to amplify a really low signal (like adding boost to a built engine vs a stock engine sure they both will work but quality..just a concern thought id play it safe)

                also im custom building a center console so ventalation is starting to be a concern with the pci card not taking up a full wall of the case that allows for more airflow. weighing options trying to get everything done right. i really appreciate you guys' responses
                CarPc Progress
                Planning 100%
                Assembly & Fabwork 80%
                Installation 95%
                Bugs worked out 45%

                Comment


                • #9
                  sorry, no line in on the gigaport-- my aux line goes straight to my amps--i am running 2 inputs to my amps-- aux, and carputer. this is so that when i fix the computer, i can drive the car and not go crazy...

                  for the pci risers--they seem to work when they are brand new, and plugged in all the way, but you would need to secure them very well-- after a 2-4 years, they start having flakey connections for no reason. also, i have issues running network cards on them, and then swapping back to a different pci device-- for some reason they don't work after that except for the network card.
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                  next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                    sorry, no line in on the gigaport-- my aux line goes straight to my amps--i am running 2 inputs to my amps-- aux, and carputer. this is so that when i fix the computer, i can drive the car and not go crazy...

                    for the pci risers--they seem to work when they are brand new, and plugged in all the way, but you would need to secure them very well-- after a 2-4 years, they start having flakey connections for no reason. also, i have issues running network cards on them, and then swapping back to a different pci device-- for some reason they don't work after that except for the network card.
                    no airflow issues with it sitting right about the heatsink fan? huge worry is overheating. if i can use the riser i would do an in dash all in one setup as long as i can get everything to fit. the only thing i would use the riser for is the sound card. no other use for it. how would you suggest securing it down.
                    CarPc Progress
                    Planning 100%
                    Assembly & Fabwork 80%
                    Installation 95%
                    Bugs worked out 45%

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ShortyDoo View Post
                      no airflow issues with it sitting right about the heatsink fan? huge worry is overheating. if i can use the riser i would do an in dash all in one setup as long as i can get everything to fit. the only thing i would use the riser for is the sound card. no other use for it. how would you suggest securing it down.
                      you can use some simple aluminum or steel bars to make a bracket to fit and hold it. Most if not all the pci/pci-e risers I've seen and used have 2 mounting holes used to secure them in place. You can get small steel or aluminum pieces you can cut and use from places like Lowes or Home Depot for fairly cheap.

                      Or you can use gobs of hot-glue or liquid nails

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        the risers that i used kicked the pc card away from the cpu fan, so there was no issues with heat...

                        but you should be fine as long as you give at least a 1/2" of room above the fan for circulation.
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                        next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X