First Post - Stumped on a Car Audio Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post - Stumped on a Car Audio Problem

If anyone knows the solution to this, that would be GREAT. Anyways, I just registered on here and I'm looking for some help. I previously had 2 subs and an amp hooked up working fine in my car. I decided to upgrade and went with a JBL GTO1214D subwoofer and a JBL GTO3501 amplifier. Well I recently installed them and found that when I turn up the input level, there is just a constant rumble from the sub, not hitting with the beat at all and will still rumble even if no music is playing. I found that it only happens when the RCA's are plugged in. My previous setup worked fine with the same wiring and everything. So I'm stumped on this one and hoping one of you guys can help me out.

This is all I've done to try to fix the problem with no luck:
    Replaced RCA's
    Replaced Ground Wires
    New Ground Location for Headunit and Amp
    Double checked everything was wired correctly
    Tried a Ground Loop Isolator
    ------------------------------------
    All of these things didn't work for me.

The only other bit of info I have is that when I tried the Ground Loop Isolator it stopped the rumbling but then there was no hitting at all...

Thanks for the help.

Some gli's need power to work, so double check that too, but it sounds like a ground loop problem
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      Some gli's need power to work, so double check that too, but it sounds like a ground loop problem
      I don't believe this GLI needs power.. It has a female connector for the RCA's and a male connector that plugs into the amp.

I took the car down to our local audio store and one of the employees tested it with a MP3 player with a RCA connector for it. It appeared to work fine that way, so wouldn't that narrow the problem down to something before the amp? I don't know what it could be though since I already replaced the RCA's.

Comment

then it sounds like it could be a issue with either with a poor ground at the amp, or a poor power connection at the deck..

have you tried running both power wires to the deck from the amp(both power and ground)?
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED:

It turned out I blew a fuse in my Pioneer deck and had to rig it up so the rca's had another ground.

I took a wire, stripped it, and wrapped it around the RCA shields and screwed it into the metal chassis of the head unit... In result, giving my RCA's a second ground.

Turns out this is fairly common with Pioneer decks, but I'm glad the problem is finally solved and it sounds great.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/wiring...-take-two.html

Comment

I got a question is your power and rca on the same side of the car? And how high is the amps gain set?

Comment

Working...
            X