Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't think I'm getting the most out of my car audio.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I'm getting the most out of my car audio.

Hi,

Basically I have:
    Car: Fiat Brava
    Amps: Kenwood: KAC-9104D / Blaster BL1000G
    Speakers/Subs: KFC-W3011 subwoofer / Kenwood KFC-M6942A / Kenwood KFC-1350S
    (taken form my sig)

The reason I don't think it sounds quite right is because it does the high end audio really well, and the very low end stuff really well. However the higher bass notes it seems to be a lot less audible.
    I personally love my bass, and tend to have the bass very high.

Now here are my configuration:
    KFC-W3011 sub hooked up to KAC-9104D amp. This is where all the switches and knobs and stuff are:
    Bass Boost - 6
    ISF (infrasonic filter) switch - 25hz
    PHASE switch - 0
    LPF(Low-Pass Filter) FREQUENCY control - lowest

All the rest of my speakers are hooked up to the Blaster BL1000. It has separate controls for front and rear speakers, but I have set them the same.
    Basically set switches to HPF.
    I figures sub can do all the bass and other speakers can to high end stuff.

I have been trying different settings for a while now, but tbh, I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm coming to you guys for help, how would you setup these speakers/amps? bearing in mind I love bass =P

Regards
    JM

p.s. next setup that I think I will try is:
    KAC-9104D: Bass Boost - off, gain - higher.
    Blaster BL1000G: leave front speakers as are.
    Turn LPF and HPF on back speakers.

What you think?
    Car: Ford Focus
    Currently stock setup. Trying to decide on the best setup for me.

So you aren't getting any of the higher bass frequencies, probably anything from 20-30 hz and up?

Originally posted by jellymonster View Post
    LPF(Low-Pass Filter) FREQUENCY control - lowest
    Ah dude, problem solved! if your low pass filter is set the the lowest setting then its not passing anything higher than that setting, I typically set the low pass filter to about 80-100 Hz.
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Cheers for the quick response, I will try it tomorrow morning.

Comment

Bass Boost --not needed, in fact, it could be causing parts of your problems-- bass boost only boosts a very small range of bass-- so it is making all the other bass freq. quieter.
        ISF (infrasonic filter) switch --this is good-- it should be on--it is basically a high pass filter, that cuts off the freq. that are normally below what most subs can produce.
        PHASE switch - 0-- if you wanted to dig into it more, this controls 'where the bass feels, relative to the other speakers'-- some setups require adjustment with this to get everything to sound good
        LPF(Low-Pass Filter) FREQUENCY control -- like pancit said, a good starting point is 80-100 hz low pass-- this can change slightly with the setup-- the more bass your mids can take, the lower you can set this-- the trick here is to get teh subs to take over exactly when the mids can't produce the bass freq..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

So am I understanding correctly? If you have an amp pushing JUST your subwoofer, you do NOT want the bass boost set to on? You'd want that off?
          Carputer Progress
          [||||||||||] 100%
          Finally Installed!!
          Everything is in the car and working.
          I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
          Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
          View My Progress Here

Comment

just set ur boost to ur desired setting when u tune ur sub

Comment

Originally posted by rockerchris105 View Post
              just set ur boost to ur desired setting when u tune ur sub
              don't use bass boost-- it can cause more problems-- it is artificially enhancing parts of the audio, making the sub 'sound' like it does better in a specific freq range that it probably can't do very well in-- which overexerts the sub, and you start to wonder why your blowing subs every month...

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

not if ur maxing out the sub...u can change the bass eq on ur radio down and the gain up on the amp it doesnt make a difference...and it doesnt really effect anything on a higher end speaker...yes it can ruin a sub if its a low grade speaker

Comment

soundman...where exactly are u getting ur info

Comment

Soundman is right. A bass boost only boosts a small range of frequencies. Most of the time that can sound very muddy and possibly destroy a sub. The best way to use a bass boost is to use one with an adjustable Q. That way you can broaden the range of frequencies and even make it blend better with the front speakers.
                    The bassboost (or loudness) on the cd player is typically set at 100 hz for the low frequencies and 10k for the highs. The best way to use that is to combat road noise when playing music at low volume.
                    Otherwise, you can do wonders with a digital parametric EQ. Since this site is intended for auto pc's, a great processor to use is the Rockford Fosgate 360.1 or 360.2. Those beautiful pieces allow you to set up your entire system using Bluetooth from a pc/laptop. That makes for a great addition for an auto pc. I'm installing one with my auto pc when I begin my install.

Comment

eh, i had a whole rant, but it only made sense to me..

the biggest issue with bb is that the main goal of audio in general is to get as flat of a sound response curve as possible-- bass boost creates a huge peak at one freq, and can also introduce a clipping signal into the sub-- which can ruin things quickly, no matter how much you paid for the sub.

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by rockerchris105 View Post
                        not if ur maxing out the sub...u can change the bass eq on ur radio down and the gain up on the amp it doesnt make a difference...and it doesnt really effect anything on a higher end speaker...yes it can ruin a sub if its a low grade speaker
                        The GAIN control on an amp is NOT a "volume" control. If you're over-driving the sub with equalization or "Bass Boost", then you're not getting the full benefit of your sub. You do understand that "Bass Boost" is a marketing gimmick that has far more damaging effects than it does "making the bass better/louder"? If you try to increase the output at a frequency the sub is not tuned for, then you will damage the sub. It's better to either use a different sub better suited to the installation/desired sound, or try to model an enclosure to get the desired effect. Like Soundman said....
                        don't use bass boost-- it can cause more problems
                        !

Comment

I'm still tweeking but my system sounds alot better now =)

I haven't been posting, but I have read all your responses (like a ninja).

My bass sounds alot better now with bass boost off (I actually had it set to 8 =S). And because I like my bass, I also turned the gain up to make it louder. Also changing the frequency range to 25hz - 80hz made a big difference.

I also adjusted the frequency range on the other speakers. 6x9's to 80hz +, and front door speakers to 100hz +.

I think the only tweeking I have to do is make it sound as if it's coming from the front.
                          I don't know if it's just me imagining it because I know that's where most the speakers are, but the sound sounds mostly coming from the back.

I will also look into digital processors (Y).

Comment

i actually don't run any rear speakers, because i found that they drag the sound stage too far back--try either lowering the volume on the 6x9's, or raising the x-over (above the front speakers x-over) and see how it sounds.

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Sounds like you're firguring out the tweaking part of car audio. If you're looking to get the bass up front sound you need to get a solid midbass. You do that by either crossing over your front speakers at a lower frequency or adding dedicated midbass drivers. The easiest way is to lower the crossover frequency going to your front speakers. The drawback is that your power handling goes down. Try lowering the crossover point to 80hz and see if you can play the music they way you like without them bottoming out. That sound make a difference.
                              If you can move your mid/tweets to the kick panels and install a good 6" or 8" modbass in the doors, that would be ideal.
                              One other critical thing you should do is to dampen the doors. Reach in and dampen the inside of your doors with either a spray or maps and then make sure you seal off the front of the door metal too. Be sure to leave the drain areas open for water to escape though. Once you dampen the doors real well, you will have an overall better music experience along with better midbass.

Comment

Working...
                              X