USB to Phono with Female-Female USB Adapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB to Phono with Female-Female USB Adapter

I'm trying to connect my mp3 player via its USB to my car's aux/2xphono input. I was interested in knowing if anyone's tried the USB to phono cable with a Female-Female USB adapter. Why would this not work?

Thanks

Because USB and audio are 2 completly different formats- USB is digital, audio is analog
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks I needed that!

I appreciated the prompt response soundman98, but I was hinting at knowing if there's a DIY kit or Aux box modification (it's an aux box from a company called PIE).

Comment

well, quit hinting

a quick search found that PIE makes aux inputs for factory decks, but that is about all that i can tell-- i am a little lost at what you are looking for.

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

USB - Aux Converter

Many current DVD players have USB inputs which play music/video from flash drives and have optical/phono plugs as outputs. I was hoping someone at mp3Car would have had DIY instruction to achieve this, minus the DVD player. Ebay has them as "Digital sound processors".

Comment

i haven't seen anything like that-- i think that you can buy a unit like that and modify it to work for you than it would be to build your own.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by mpman View Post
              I'm trying to connect my mp3 player via its USB to my car's aux/2xphono input. I was interested in knowing if anyone's tried the USB to phono cable with a Female-Female USB adapter. Why would this not work?

Thanks
              The "car's aux/2xphono input" is an audio input.
              You're MP3 player headphone jack is an audio output.
              The connector to use is a 3.5mm male to male stereo audio cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                The "car's aux/2xphono input" is an audio input.
                You're MP3 player headphone jack is an audio output.
                The connector to use is a 3.5mm male to male stereo audio cable.
                i think he wants to play media off of a usb drive, or sd card, but his car only has a analog aux input..

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

get a mp3 player, you cannot connect usb to aux. but you can get an mp3 and cable to connect the mp3 player to you audio in on your stero

Comment

Some links

It seems there are no USB soldering tinkerers here, but I've a attached product. I already have the USA-SPEC DF-Toy CD interface/aux input for a Toyota. Basically, has anyone here soldered a USB input to this unit or have links to someone that has worked on such soldering projects

http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=17

Thanks,

Comment

it is not just as easy as just putting a usb port on it-- the physical usb port is a universal standard-- the commands, and devices that connect through them are not.

that is a adapter specifically for the ipod/iphone-- the commands that it sends out are only understood by a ipod, iphone, etc.. no other manufaturers products will work with it-- so then you would need to desipher the commands it sends out, and then create a controller that can re-send the commands in the correct format to the device your trying to connect with. by the time your done with that, you would have realised that aftermarket headunits can do this for around $250... there really isn't a reason for most of us tinkerers to spend that much time recreating what has already been done very well.

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks for the prompt feedback

It seems people are genuinely interested in providing practical assistance or just telling me why I can't.

Either way thanks for the input everyone, compared to just being ignored.

Sorry I forgot to note that mine doesn't have that IPOD port, which would have made all this easier.

I guess the other cheapo option is to hardwire an old USB/FM transmitter (1). They read USB flash drives.

Then there is the xcarlink which accepts USB/SD cards(2).

1) http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Playe...1892811&sr=8-2

2) http://www.xcarlink.com/show_info.asp?product_ID=352

Comment

Some more links

I also found the following two links if people are interested in a similar project:

1) http://www.mattgilbert.net/carstereoauxinput/

2) http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...c-card-reader/

Comment

Working...
                          X