Good Crossover Point for Subwoofer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Crossover Point for Subwoofer?

I just recently hooked up a Alpine MRP-F300 amp, running in three channel mode to four Type R Alpine Door Speakers (SPR-1700c) and one JL Audio 10inch W1v2.

On the amp, I have all four speakers wired into two channels. And the sub wired in BRIDGED mode on the remaining two channels.

The Alpine amp has a built in adjustable crossover for the sub with some additional settings. I have it currently set to 100mhz and LP mode on...

What do most people adjust their subwoofer crossover at? Is 100mhz good? Should I change it?

I know that when it comes to car audio there is no exact science, and its what sounds good to the end user, and I am tweaking here and there changing settings, options, etc... I just wanted to get an idea of what the crossover >SHOULD< be at.

Thanks alot in advance for any help...
    Carputer Progress
    [||||||||||] 100%
    Finally Installed!!
    Everything is in the car and working.
    I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
    Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
    View My Progress Here

i think it should be at 100hz. i havent seen a car audio amp with crossovers in the mhz range. :P

a good recommended starting point is 80hz, but depending on the rest of the setup, the true crossover range can range anywhere lower than 200hz.

the overall goal is to try to get the subs to take over where your other speakers start to leave off(where they can't produce bass at your anticipated listening level anymore), but not to the point that you can hear where the sub is located (lower freq are harder to locate, but some cars bounce sound waves in such a way that it makes it easy to tell where the sub is-- so you try to tune it out)

edit: to answer your other question about bass boost-- i would never recommend running bass boost-- it is just like those $5 "performance chips" on ebay that consist of a resistor that gets mounted on the air intake sensor, that trick the ecu into thinking the engine is getting more air then it is, so the ecu sends more fuel-- sure it makes the car faster, or the sub louder, but at the cost of efficiency of the motor/sub, that could potentially damage the component after a bunch of hard runs.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Sorry, 100hz....

OKay, thanks for all of the information. Even though the amp has a built in crossover, I am just afraid of playing with the hz range and setting it too high and blowing out the sub- because of what i've heard and all the "NEVER DO THAT" type talk I've heard going to shops, etc...
      Carputer Progress
      [||||||||||] 100%
      Finally Installed!!
      View My Progress Here

Comment

it is not really good for a sub to run it above 200hz, but other than that, feel free to play around with it to get the best effect for your tastes.

also, just wanted to make sure that you notice my edited comment about the bass boost(i think you might have been typing your post at the time )

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

try this for ...see if u like it..
          those apline speakers are capable of going as low as 65hz.
          alpine type r series are relatively good speakes.
          i would not recommend going that low really.

not sure if you can but...Set the crossover for the subwoofer to 50hz...

u really dont want** to have the sub playing the same frequencies the door speakers play.

**- subjective use of the word. lol
          trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
            try this for ...see if u like it..
            those apline speakers are capable of going as low as 65hz.
            alpine type r series are relatively good speakes.
            i would not recommend going that low really.

not sure if you can but...Set the crossover for the subwoofer to 50hz...

u really dont want** to have the sub playing the same frequencies the door speakers play.

**- subjective use of the word. lol
            good point, though i like to start higher than that. 50 hz is pretty low, depending on what his other speakers can play(if your using 10" mids in the front though, it shouldn't be a problem )-- you should try not to leave a 'gap'(an area of the sound spectrum that no speaker is trying to play), hence, the sub should take over almost exactly where the mids leave off, or it might leave something to be desired:

example: my own install uses 5-1/4" mids, and 10" subs.

my system is setup to be clear and loud. i could run the poor little 5 1/4's at 80 hz, and they would take it no problem at low to moderate volume, but with my heavy use of the volume knob, they just can't play that low, so i setup the sub to play where they can't.

i cross the mids over at about 110-125hz(using highpass crossover) depending on how critical i want to be, and the sub is always set the exact same freq cutoff (but using a low pass crossover) granted, there is technically a little overlap(not really noticable with only a couple freq of overlap), and i am not accounting for crossover roll-off (getting technical i know, but all crossovers have 'roll-off': where they gradually reduce the loudness of the freq below the crossover point--they don't just block all freq below the crossover point, but crossover design is a completely different topic), which could be messing with it too.

the reason that i set it up this way is because the 100-300hz area is a kind-of critical area for creating depth, body, and imaging in the audio-- skip part of it, and the audio can become less realistic- barry white starts to sound like he is singing out of a tin can, instead of singing on your hood, and a bass guitar can sound like he is missing parts of the track (for sound quality, the ultimate goal is recreating the track exactly as it was made ).

overall, just play with it--the best setup is the one you messed up to fix

i like to make 1 dramatic change in my system setup at a time, see how it sounds, and if it makes it worse, go back and either put it back to the old setting, or adjust it less to see if it makes it better, sometimes constantly switching between the original setting, and the new setting to see if i like it.

the most critical judge you have to impress is yourself-- if you'll give yourself 5 stars, it is the best that you and your current system have to do.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Wow. Thank you all so much for the detailed responses.

I figured that you wouldn't want the door speakers playing the same bass as the sub. That just makes more sense. I know I tried that right out of the gate and it didn't sound right. But I also have a little better understanding of what I am doing now so I'll try that today.
              Carputer Progress
              [||||||||||] 100%
              Finally Installed!!
              View My Progress Here

Comment

let us know how it goes.
                Remember, in the end only all of this is dependant on what you like to hear.

For me, i set my sub to 32hz.
                The sub only kicks in when audio tracks have been recorded with sounds that low.
                but wen the sub kicks it, it sounds like a thunderous roaring earthquake.
                everyone that hears is is like wtf is that!??? where did it come from?
                lol

i set it that low for other reasons too. I dont like hearing a constant boom boom boom.
                i let my door speakers handle the mid-bass.
                2. the frequency is so low, u dont hear it from outside the car. (somewhat like a theft prevention,lol, if they cant hear it, they dont know its there).
                3. i have realized that with the frequency so low, my trunk does not rattle it's brains away. I just hear deep booming basssssss.
                trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Whoa, 32Hz?
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                    Whoa, 32Hz?
                    yea, thats the lowest my crossover will allow.
                    My friend wanted me to set it at 30.
                    but that is good enuff.
                    trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Well, I turned off the bass boost and that made a big difference. My sub is definitly not as loud but everything is more even. Before certain tones were soft and certain tones were loud. Makes sense now lol

I didn't like having no bass in the door speakers (only sub) because when the music was really low it was hard to hear the low notes of the music.
                      Carputer Progress
                      [||||||||||] 100%
                      Finally Installed!!
                      View My Progress Here

Comment

Working...
                      X