Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp wiring

i just have a quick question.

I currently have an alpine 4-channel amplifier which drive my 4 speakers (2 front 4ohm, 2 rear 2ohm). Then i had another mono amplifier just for my subwoofer.

Last night my mono amplifier gave out on my, had a good run. Is there any way to run all 4 speakers listed above off 2 channels and then have my subwoofer bridged off the other 2 channels?

I don't believe i can do this, but thought i would ask before i buy another mono amp for my sub. I don't know enough about car audio, but figured since my front speakers are 4ohm i could probably wire these in parallel to one channel (which i think lowers the impedance) dropping the impedance to 2ohm which my amp could handle. Since my back speakers are already 2ohm i couldn't drop them any lower as my amp couldn't handle it. I could be completely off though..

I think i am better off just getting a mono amp for my sub, but though i would ask first.

Suggestions??

Amp wiring...

Yes...it can be done but i need to know some more about what you are working with and...just because it can be done does not mean it will produce likable results.
    your amp...is it rated for 2-ohm mono operation?
    your sub...(1) ohm load per voice-coil x number of voice coils
    your rear speakers...2-ohm each? What kind are they?
    your front speakers...what kind are they?
    your amp...make and model?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhorse972 View Post
      Yes...it can be done but i need to know some more about what you are working with and...just because it can be done does not mean it will produce likable results.
      your amp...is it rated for 2-ohm mono operation?
      your sub...(1) ohm load per voice-coil x number of voice coils
      your rear speakers...2-ohm each? What kind are they?
      your front speakers...what kind are they?
      your amp...make and model?
      Thanks for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions...

1. My current 4 channel amp is rated for 2-ohm operations:
      - Per channel into 4 ohms: 50W x 4 (0.08% THD)
      - Per channel into 2 ohms: 75W x 4
      - Bridged 4 Ohms: 150W x 2

2. My sub is a JL 10" 10W0. Its a few years old so not 100% on the specs, but i think its a 4 ohm (Dual Coil).

3. Rear Speakers - They are stock speakers (2005 acura rsx type s) they are both 2-ohm
      4. Front speakers - Pioneer 6 1/2" 3-Way Car Speaker (TS-A1673R) They are both 4ohm.
      5. My amp make and model - Alpine MRP-F300

Comment

well, if that is the case...just hook all 4 speakers to the front 2 channels of the amp (in stereo) and bridge the rears on the sub with the coils wired in series (amp + to VC+, VC- to VC+, VC- to amp -). As I said earlier, this may not give you the desired results...but, it will work and will be safe for the amplifier. The rear speakers might very well be louder than the fronts and the sub may be quiet, but they will all work. If I were in your situation, though, I would hook fronts to fronts and rears to sub and FORGET about rear speakers! Actually, I would do that regardless of who's situation I was in...I HATE rear speakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkhorse972 View Post
          well, if that is the case...just hook all 4 speakers to the front 2 channels of the amp (in stereo) and bridge the rears on the sub with the coils wired in series (amp + to VC+, VC- to VC+, VC- to amp -). As I said earlier, this may not give you the desired results...but, it will work and will be safe for the amplifier. The rear speakers might very well be louder than the fronts and the sub may be quiet, but they will all work. If I were in your situation, though, I would hook fronts to fronts and rears to sub and FORGET about rear speakers! Actually, I would do that regardless of who's situation I was in...I HATE rear speakers!
          Thanks for your suggestion. I just checked my subwoofer and is in fact a single coil, not a dual coil. So, i can easily bridge that to the rear channels.

What do you mean just connect the 4 speakers to the first 2 channels?
          Is there a specific way to wire them up?
          Can you explain how having 4 speakers on 2 channels is safe knowing that 2 speakers are 4ohm and 2 speakers are 2ohm? Just want to understand what i am doing before i do it.

Comment

YES...if your sub is a single 4 ohm voice coil, just hook it up to the rear channels bridged.
            As for the front channels...just hook up the positives from the right front and rears to the right front positive output of the amp and the negatives from the right front and rears to the right front negative output of the amp. In other words, hook the right front and rear speakers, in parallel, to the right front output of the amp. Do the same to all the Left speakers. Keep in mind, at this point, your fader will effectively become a "sub-gain". basic illustration follows:
            FRS +, RRS+, to FrontRightOutput+
            FRS -, RRS -, to FrontRightOutput-
            FLS +, RLS-, to FrontLeftOutput +
            FLS -, RLS- , to FrontLeftOutput -

Verbal: when considering Front and Rear Speakers only, ONE side at a time: hook all the positives together and attach them to the amp; then hook all the negatives together and attach them to the amp.

Comment

That might not be a good idea. You're suggesting he connect his fronts and rears in parallel. He's stated that he has 4 Ohm fronts and 2 Ohm rears, in parallel that would be ~1.33 Ohms and the amp might not be stable that low. (Granted, there might be enough resistance loss in the cable to bring it close enough to 2 Ohms but that's not a given.)

Comment

ok...yes, you are right, but I was never under the impression that this was going to be a long term scenario. I thought he wanted something to get him by for a day or two.

Also, any reasonable amplifier that is 2 ohm stable will handle 1.3 ohms at medium volumes...if it won't, you should not have invested the $.50 you did to purchase it in the beginning.

YES...if this is for any extended length of time, hook them up in series...unless you have crossovers on either of the sets. If you do, then you have to go with my ORIGINAL suggestion and disconnect your rear speakers.

Comment

Yes, the reason i brought this up is because my mono amplifier died and was wondering if i could get away with just having one amp.

For now i have just my front 2 speakers on the front channels and sub bridged on the back. I'm not going to try and hook all 4 speakers to 2 channels, but maybe hold off and get another mono amp down the road.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Cheers

Comment

for reliability, hook up the fullrange speakers in series--it will give you a 6ohm load on the amp(it'll run nice'n cool) and connect the sub to the rear amp outputs..

temporary setups can sometimes not be so temporary-- my install was "just for a little while, until i can afford new amps, and speakers"-- that was 2 years ago...
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      for reliability, hook up the fullrange speakers in series--it will give you a 6ohm load on the amp(it'll run nice'n cool) and connect the sub to the rear amp outputs..

temporary setups can sometimes not be so temporary-- my install was "just for a little while, until i can afford new amps, and speakers"-- that was 2 years ago...
                      Ok, that makes sense. If i do it this way i would be putting a 6ohm load on the amp if i connect the front (4ohm) and back (2ohm) speakers together will this reduce the sound from the speakers since they are running at a high impedance?

My amp doesn't say anything about 6ohms. It only mentions 2 and 4 ohm compatbility, but since 6ohm is less strain my amp should handle it? Its an alpine mrp-f300. If in fact i do decide to do it this way, in the long run the amp will be ok? Are there any draw backs to wiring the speakers in series. The only draw back i could see is less power to the speakers resulting in lower sound.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, 6 ohms is ok. Amplifiers are rated at their lowest impedance levels...in other words, if your amp is "2 ohm stable" that means that it will handle anything above 2 ohms. The higher the ohms value, the weaker the output.

There are a few other factors that need to be considered...if either set of speakers has a crossover on them, wiring in series can sometimes give a REALLY weird result...like them all sounding like tweeters or a capacitive load on the amp which will cause drastic changes in volume depending on dominant frequencies. It is hard to say if there will be any adverse effects...I have seen some work and others have problems. You could always try it and see what happens.

Comment

i just have one more question.

Would it be safe instead of wiring front and back speakers in series to get 6ohms (just not sure how it will sound at 6ohms) could i wire the 2 front speakers in parallel (front speakers are both 4ohms) which would end up being 2ohm pull to the first channel and wire the 2 rear speakers (which are 2ohms) to the second channel in series to get 4ohm pull?

and then of course bridge the rear channels for my sub.

does that work? Sounds to me that would work and would get more power than if i have all my speakers wired as 6ohms.

Comment

yes...it would work but there are issues with this scenario. You would loose your "stereo", well, actually, you would either have all mono or you would have the left information coming out of one set and the right coming out of the other, depending on how you have your inputs connected...giving you the "feeling" or impression that you are standing in front of the stage at a concert but you are looking at "stage left". THIS WOULD SUCK!!! I suggest that if you are not willing to go without your rear speakers you simply go with the 6 ohm wiring. It is not a perfect solution but really none of this is. The only "perfect" solution is to go ahead and get the other amp. That being said, I would decide how much your "rears" mean to you. Personal suggestion...disconnect your rears, it will only take a few days for you to get used to it and once you do, you will NEVER want rear speakers again because you will realize how much the rear speakers mess with the true stereo information.

Comment

i am gonna jump in a little with the whole rear speakers thing:

if you are only replicating the same signal as the front speakers, rear speakers can take more away from the audio signal then they can help(this can get extremely technical, because, depending on the how the speakers are setup, and their sizes, some rear speakers can naturally help a audio system). in this case, removing/unplugging the rear speakers can help make the audio more realistic by allowing a clearer front stage.

i used to be a huge opponent of rear speakers after ditching my own, but after hearing skypainters setup, am planning on adding them back in-- along with a center channel.

he uses a stereo-to-surroundsound program with his audio processing so that all of the speakers are working together to create a more expansive sound stage, both in front, and behind-- in this case, rear speakers can help...
                              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X