any opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any opinions?

Here's my setup that I'm inking about getting...

Sub: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...87-Series.html

Maybe I don't need a 15". Maybe a 12". It's going to be placed in my trunk. I can do two subs in the trunk if I want.

Amp: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...te_R500-1.aspx

Amp kit: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...udio_PAK8.aspx

Do I need the amp kit? Does the amp/sub come with the wires I need?

And for the enclosure I'm going to make a custom fiberglass one.

you will need a amp kit, though, i am not sure that the 8 ga kit is enough for that amp(i know for sure that you should not power a 1500 watt amp with it like in the review..) try checking some of the many resources online for what ga wire you need for your amp, and the length of cable you need..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks soundman

How would a 15" compare to two 12"s?

Power wise, and performance wise...

Comment

8 ga. will be okay for that amp, but it doesn't leave you any room for upgrades. And running new wire from the battery to the trunk is a pain. If you ever want to get another amp for the other speakers, or if you want to up the power to the subs, or both, then 8 ga. won't be enough.

Do it once, and do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
          Thanks soundman

How would a 15" compare to two 12"s?

Power wise, and performance wise...
          this is completely subjective-- depending entirely on what gear your running, personal preference, amp settings, and vehicle everything is installed in...

certain companies 2-12's will be louder, and better then anothers 15's, and vice versa for other companies.

i personally prefer smaller subs because they tend to be a little quicker because of they have less mass, but whatever you feel sounds the best is the best

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

What about these 12"s?

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...87-Series.html

I don't have a lot of money to spend on audio, so any advice would be great.

Also on the amp/amp kit.

Comment

speakers are really where i draw the line on advice in a online forum-- the audio quality of any speaker is always subjective--i could build what i think is the best speaker in the world, and after hearing it, you could think that a $20 boombox from walmart sounds better...

if you have heard the ssa subs, and have access to a 12" and a 15" decide for yourself which is best for you.

otherwise read every review you can find on them, and try to ignore reviews that just say "it is the best subwoofer ever!!!!!!!!" there should be plenty of subjective reviews that have no problem telling you HOW it is the best(car audio mags will usually do this by giving examples "on X artist's, X album, track 3, the sub displayed a great blend with the front speakers as the bass guitar lead into the track...")

those are the most helpful reviews because you can almost exactly replicate what they heard, and decide for yourself if it is what you want..

every sub, and speaker has a different "sound" to them (alpine, and kicker are more 'boom, all-out, loud bass!, and other brands like jl, or boston acoustics have a slightly more refined sound-- they still bump, but has more musical characteristics ). you really just need to find the best one that meets what you are looking for..

even the brand examples above are based on my own opinion-- someone else might come in and say that alpine has a better sound then boston acoustics... and neither of us are wrong...

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks soundman, great info

What would be a good amp/amp kit for that sub? I might do 2 of the 12's rather then one 15".

Comment

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Comment

just match up the power rating of the wire with whatever amp you will be using.

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                    X