2-Way Speakers Becoming Too Harsh? Alpine SPR-17c

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-Way Speakers Becoming Too Harsh? Alpine SPR-17c

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer SUV with 6.5inch Alpine SPR-17c 2-Way speakers in all four doors, powered by a Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel Amp.

I have had the system in my SUV for a few months. And only recently have I noticed/felt that the door speakers were getting too "harsh" and by that I mean the tweeters sound on the speakers feel like its actually tweaking and they almost screech.

My frontend for the moment is Centrafuse, and using it's built in EQ I have lowered the treble high end to almost nothing... My EQ looks like a big check mark... And the harsh tweaking goes away, but I cant imagine this is right? They have sounded great all this time with just an average EQ setting... Now I have to actually "tweak" all the treble out just to make the speakers sound decent.

Now, obviously something has changed. My only question is can it be the speakers? Or can it be the amp? And how would I go about troubleshooting the issue?

Forgive me for not asking the right questions, but I do not know how to really explain what I'm trying to say. I just want the speakers to sound like they did before! lol
    Carputer Progress
    [||||||||||] 100%
    Finally Installed!!
    Everything is in the car and working.
    I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
    Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
    View My Progress Here

you said that the eq looks like a check mark? what bands are you lowering to get it to sound good?

it could be from either you getting used to the speakers-- ie: those bright tweeters were originally what sounded so good when you first got them.. or that the crossovers are starting to break in and are allowing other frequencies through..

though, i kind of think that most 2-way, and component speakers have too loud of tweeters in the first place-- i consistently run my tweeters at at least neg 9-12 db compared to the mids..(for reference, i currently use pioneer 5-1/4 rev series components-- i would put them on par with alpines 'S' series)
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I'm lowering the higher bands, the ones on the right. And it look like a ramp going up a hill toward the bass.
      Carputer Progress
      [||||||||||] 100%
      Finally Installed!!
      Everything is in the car and working.
      I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
      Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
      View My Progress Here

Comment

If something actually changed, and not just your perception of the speakers sound quality, you can try to narrow it down by unplugging the audio cable that goes to the computer from the amp, and plugging an mp3 player directly into the amp (make sure the volume on the mp3 player is turned down first). If it now sounds "good", then the problem is something changed on the computer. If it still sounds "bad", then it isn't the computer. From this point, troubleshooting can be more narrowly focused.

Comment

Working...
        X