Power Acoustik Amps - Any Good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Acoustik Amps - Any Good?

I have four 2-way Alpine R SPR-17c in my doors powered by a Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp.

Right now, I like the way everything sounds, but it does get distorted at loud volume, so I was looking to replace my amp, but the Alpine equivalent is very pricey

I was looking at Power Acoustik, but I have never heard of the brand before... The amp in particular was the BAMF1600 which would put out TRIPLE of what the Alpine I have does. (150watts vs 50watts). And since it's at Best Buy, I'm thinking I have a chance to hook it up and actually "hear" it in my setup and if I dont like it I can exchange for something else.

My question is, how is Power Acoustik as a brand? Do they make good products?

Thanks alot for any and all information. I truly appreciate it
    Carputer Progress
    [||||||||||] 100%
    Finally Installed!!
    Everything is in the car and working.
    I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
    Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
    View My Progress Here

Those speakers are great IMO but they do need power. I don't know alot about PA but something just seems really wrong to power those speakers with a PA amp.

Some guys on an audio board I was on last week were really trash talking their subs but no one seemed to have any first hand knowledge so who knows. Their point was for the money the stuff is pretty good but don't put it in the same category as the "quality" brands.

The 150w number may not mean much, it depends how they got to that number but, hey, if you can buy it & try it with no risk, let us know how it works out. I would be curious to know.
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

i have had a couple of car audio dealers try selling PA stuff to me-- they work-- they emit sound--at decent sq/ spl levels, and seem to have power, but i would never rate them as a high end gear manufacturer...

you get what you pay for-- and most people on car audio forums are willing to pay more then most for audio equipment-- which means that brands like jenson, or power acoustic are rated lower because of this on audio forums...

overall, i haven't heard of too many problems with their amps--there is a member here that has had a horrible experience with them though-- toyotatyrant.

some of that is in this thread from hijack, when he was picking out his stax series amps(toyotatyrants posts are #9 & #15):
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...ly-matter.html
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

I think I have read a few times that Power Acoustik is crap. That's probably from places like the12volt.com - search or ask there.

Comment

All i can say is read my public service announcement below in my signature when it comes to Power-a-crap-stick. Also I have made enough rants here on mp3car about their crap products. Their stuff is total junk and a waste of hard earned money.
          ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

Comment

Ah! That's where I saw it... LOL!

Actually that's one place I saw it - but I should have remembered - the KRYPTONITE is classic! (Though as I recall, Kryptonite is great for some - but they are all off-world so who cares. The only other good KrypTonite I know of is when it's a directive given by Ms Vamp to Mr Vamp.)

Thanks for your expertise/experience toyotatyrant.

Comment

Thank you all for the great advice and information.

Even though I can probally try it out and return it with out getting hit up by a restocking fee at BestBuy, I have decided not to go with that and instead try to find a deal on a better brand amp that will push 100+watts to each of the speakers.

Thanks Again
              Carputer Progress
              [||||||||||] 100%
              Finally Installed!!
              Everything is in the car and working.
              I painted the cilpboard mount and it looks good.
              Shutdown/Startup is working excellent!
              View My Progress Here

Comment

Working...
              X