What kind of speakers to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of speakers to use?

I'm in the process of getting my final parts list together for my carPC build, and I'm unsure what route I should be going with my speakers.

I'm planning on using the stock speaker locations in my vehicle (2010 Dodge Ram - Regular Cab), which are as follows: 3.5" speakers in the dash, 6x9s in the front doors, 6.5" speakers in the two pillars behind the seats.

The current stock system has what appear to be full-range speakers in all three locations.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward going with 2-way components (tweeters in the dash, mids in the doors) and two decent 3-way full-range speakers behind the seats. The only thing holding me back is that I have heard on many occasions that doors are horrible for mids.

My other option is to go with good full-range (2-way/3-way) speakers all around.

What does everyone think? I've built a few systems for myself before, but this would be my first foray into component systems.

This will all be in addition to two Infiniti Kappa 120.9w 12" subs in a sealed enclosure behind the seats being fed from a JL Audio GTO7001 700w amp.

I haven't decided on an amp for the dash/door/back speakers being that I haven't decided on speakers yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

component speakers were my gateway drug to active setups..

doors can be tough to get studio sound out of... this is primarily because of the typically large open spaces in the doors-- it can make it tough to get the correct acoustics sometimes...

overall, i prefer 2-way components/convertibles over 2/3-way coaxials because the passive crossover components are much beefier, so they have a little cleaner sound, and can handle a little more power.

i have compared 2 and 3 way speakers-- even heard pioneers 5 way 6x9--i don't think that those extra parts add anything to the audio system except bragging rights...

component 3 ways though are a different ballgame-- they can add more depth to the midrange, but take more time to setup(due to adding another speaker to the setup, and crossover), and are extremely dependent on your audio tastes-- i don't like the effect they add, but can definitely see how some would want it...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
    X