No announcement yet.

Need Helping installing amp and sub toyota 08 4runner

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Helping installing amp and sub toyota 08 4runner

I wanted a decent car stereo in my 2008 Toyota 4runner for a while now. I just got 2 Boston Acoustics 10.5LF and a McIntosh MC431 4 Channels x 100watts Amplifier. I wanted to install these in my car asap but I know nothing about car audio and don't want to spend tons of money by going to car audio shop for the install. I do have a aftermarket headunit, eclipse avn6000.
    Below is a picture of the amp and subs :]
    Any advice or tips will be awesome!

Amp Question: I don't have any kind of wiring kit to set this up, please tell me what kind of wires i need in order to install both amp and subs. Since the McIntosh is a 4 channel amp should i get a 4channel amp wiring kit? If so what are the best kit out there within a reasonable price?

Sub Question: I dont have a box for the sub yet, what kind of box should i be looking for? I dont want it to be too loud.

Thank you!

do some research.. has a large area that really helped me when i started my journey into mobile entertainment, and i would highly recommend their site as a good starting point..

there is no easy way to go just say "you need 'x' equipment, and it installs this way"...

i know it is a harsh, but there is tons of info on the proper wiring, and setup--there is a reason you need to do some things a certain way--and when you do this research, you will learn why you need 'x' equipment, and why it needs to get connected a certain way.

if i just tell you how to do it, i have no doubt that you could get it working, but if anything happens to the setup, you will be lost again because you really didn't know why it was hooked up that way in the first place..

also, i should warn you, there are morons like me around here that know car audio, but this forum is primarily for installing computers in cars:
    Originally posted by THE stickey
    This forum is dedicated to CarPCs and installing them in your car.

The car audio forum is dedicated to integrating your car audio system with your CarPC.

For specific questions related to car audio equipment systems that do not include CarPCs, I would recomend checking out car audio specific forums:
    et. al.

There is a chance that someone on here might have an answer for you, I would just hate for you to wait around for it when I know you could get an answer much quicker on a dedicated forum.

Good luck.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

I guess that makes me a car audio moron =(

first off you need to buy or build yourself a box. Ive been building sub boxes for a zillion years and to relay the info you need to build an well tuned box that fits how you want cannot be relayed in any type of forum post. I will however give you this link
      thats the manual for your subs. In it you will find the information needed to construct a basic box for your sub. Failing that you can use the measurements there to find one "off the shelf" that will suit your needs.

secondly that amp was a FANTASTIC unit, I Think it retailed around a grand or so in the late 90s lol. Please dont blow it up^^ I would HIGHly recommend blowing a few bucks and getting it installed at a shop. Seriously. As the first poster said research and advice can only take you so far. But if its money your worried about, find yourself a decent box for your subs based on the manufacturer's specs. then pay the money to have the Amp installed. This can actually be cheeper then buying a "Install kit" which is usually lower end crap packed into a nice package and sold at a million x markup. Your local shop will have spools of wire and will charge you alot less for the wiring then a retail package as part of their "AMP INSTALL PRICE"

lastly, If you want to tackle any of the job yourself, try doing the head unit. You can go to any shop and buy a METRA dash kit adapter if its needed for your car, as well as a wiring harness adapter. Using these 2 items, most head unit installs are simply remove and replace without having to wire anything yourself. (maybe a 30 buck investment in parts)

so review:
      1.follow manufacturers instructions for box dimentions. If your not handy or experienced DONT build one, it will suck I promise. Use those dementions to find one that fits your car and the subs air space needs

2. a metra dash kit and wiring adapter kit should allow a basic hand tool guy to install their head unit for about 30 bucks with basic research

3. DONT bother buying an after market wire kit for the amp, they retail for about 20x as much as the wiring in them is worth and most shops will likely be close to that price to install an amplifier.