Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best option for a mini-itx mobo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best option for a mini-itx mobo?

    Hello,

    I want to upgrade my sound card...but I've read that the usb solutions sucks and I have only a PCI expess x16 on my mobo...

    I will be trying out the breakaway audio enhancer, but that won't work with centrafuse...

    Are there any other good options short of getting a new motherboard and sound card?

  • #2
    usb solutions being horrible are kind of relative:

    yes, usb has more limitations on the data rates then pci/pci-e slots..

    yes, usb speed can also be limited by the other devices using the same usb bus..

    but!! i use 5 out of 8 ports on a usb-connected ESI Gigaport hd, and have no issues related to the card, or usb bus audio...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


    next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      usb solutions being horrible are kind of relative:

      yes, usb has more limitations on the data rates then pci/pci-e slots..

      yes, usb speed can also be limited by the other devices using the same usb bus..

      but!! i use 5 out of 8 ports on a usb-connected ESI Gigaport hd, and have no issues related to the card, or usb bus audio...
      Thanks for the reply.

      That usb soundcard looks pretty nice...I am assuming it is night and when when compared to the onboard audio...I might give his a try.

      Comment


      • #4
        sorry, for the vague info, but i would not recommend my soundcard for any standard audio setup-- i also use audio processing that takes advantage of all of the outputs..

        this card does not have any way to get the other outputs working without some sort of audio processing program..
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


        next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FantaXP7 View Post
          Hello,

          I want to upgrade my sound card...but I've read that the usb solutions sucks and I have only a PCI expess x16 on my mobo...
          Well there are PCI Express sound cards. You may need a riser that allows you to mount the sound card horizontally instead of vertically, if you have a small form factor case.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have a very small mini-itx case, the mini-box m350...I am thinking my best bet is to just us it without the cover and have a pci-express card installed. I've read that you can put a pci express x1 into a pci express x16. I currently have a pci express x4 in a x16. I will need to make a few modifications...

            What do you guys think of this card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-006-_-Product

            I've read a lot of negative things about creative's drivers that it turned me away from there products.

            Comment


            • #7
              i think member wungun uses that card-- or possibly 2 of them.. i know he is happy with them..
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


              next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

              Comment


              • #8
                Asus make great products so i would assume its a great sound card. In my car pc i plan on using the soundblaster fatality with the drive bay piece for the convinent volume control knob.

                Its an excellent sound cards a little bit finicky with drivers but its soundblaster so thats to be expected.

                Im having the same problem figuring out how to fit things.

                I was going to put the comps in the back but no way because of the subwoofer vibration. (3 rockford 12" and a rockford 15") I have all the space in the world and no way to use it. Back to the drawing board. I should mention i plan to use an ATX mobo with 2video cards and that soundcard so a small case isnt an option

                Sry to hijack there a little

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just changed out my mobo and sound card. I was using a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS and changed to the ASUS Xonar D2X. I also had to use a flex extension cable because I keep it to the side. It does fit into the x16 slot although it can't snap in, so I used hot glue to keep it in.

                  As far as the quality, the SB sounded really good, but the Xonar is much, much better. I didn't tell my husband I was changing it and he noticed immediately the first time he heard it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmetty87 View Post
                    Asus make great products so i would assume its a great sound card. In my car pc i plan on using the soundblaster fatality with the drive bay piece for the convinent volume control knob.

                    Its an excellent sound cards a little bit finicky with drivers but its soundblaster so thats to be expected.

                    Im having the same problem figuring out how to fit things.

                    I was going to put the comps in the back but no way because of the subwoofer vibration. (3 rockford 12" and a rockford 15") I have all the space in the world and no way to use it. Back to the drawing board. I should mention i plan to use an ATX mobo with 2video cards and that soundcard so a small case isnt an option

                    Sry to hijack there a little
                    Out of curiosity, why two video cards?

                    I think I may get the Fatality too because it doesn't seem to need external power, and that is actually a huge selling point for me.

                    My original idea was to have a clean and neat little black box (the m350) hidden away in the trunk with a few usb devices. I quickly have come to see why people use micro-atx/atx boards.

                    Originally posted by Strgazr View Post
                    I just changed out my mobo and sound card. I was using a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS and changed to the ASUS Xonar D2X. I also had to use a flex extension cable because I keep it to the side. It does fit into the x16 slot although it can't snap in, so I used hot glue to keep it in.

                    As far as the quality, the SB sounded really good, but the Xonar is much, much better. I didn't tell my husband I was changing it and he noticed immediately the first time he heard it.
                    Good to know. Thanks.


                    I plan on cutting out a bit of the side of my m350 mini box and using a riser card to extend the pci x16 port. I will have to figure out how to mount the card outside of the box, but that is the neatest option I can think of short of getting a new case or system....

                    Can anyone comment on the sound cancellation that the D2X may have?

                    Thanks for all the replies thus far!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X