tweeter distance from woofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tweeter distance from woofer

hey all i bought some JL components and i noticed in the manual it says to place them no more then 8inch apart

i was hoping to use the stock tweeter hole but that is further then 8inch away

is this a golden rule that should not be broken?

thanks guys

i think the manual sums it up nicely.

it is recommended that the tweeter is not mounted any more then 8" away because of the possible effect it can have on sound quality...

my mids are still mounted in the doors, and my tweeters are up the A-pillars..

another suggestion they make, and i support, is to wire everything up, but leave slack for the tweeter wire-- so you can move it around while listening to music to hear how different locations in the car can make the tweeter sound different.(it is also easier to do this if you play the same song while tweaking-- it will make it easier to hear the differences)
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

if you mount it further than 8 inches away, it sounds like more than one speaker, and it's supposed to be like one speaker on the left and right, to recreate live music. its a recommendation, but not all people like that sound....so do what sounds good to you.

Comment

And tweeters are in-line aka "in line of sight" to the ears (agreed?).
        (IE - subs anywhere and reasonably direction independent; mids with "stereo spacing & direction" but direct alignment may not be as necessary; tweets pointed at aural cavities - though maybe not down them.)

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
          And tweeters are in-line aka "in line of sight" to the ears (agreed?).
          (IE - subs anywhere and reasonably direction independent; mids with "stereo spacing & direction" but direct alignment may not be as necessary; tweets pointed at aural cavities - though maybe not down them.)

that starts to get into the technicalities of audio.

as kingbrandont explained, the 8" spec is primarily for keeping the audio emanating from a single audio source. this is why coaxial speakers are better, but worse, due to the fact that many coaxial speakers do not have the same quality of crossover components as component speakers-- which is the best reason to get component speakers--even if you mounted the tweeter above the mid..

in general, and not taking into account reflections(which can vary widely in cars), humans have a hard time locating any sources of audio under about 80-100hz.. so, in general, yes, subs are less 'traceable' then other speakers--if they work with the cars reflections..

this means that any midbass, midrange, or tweeters will be 'traceable' to their source..

but, sometimes, the reflections can work to your advantage-- as i referenced before, my install has the tweeters firing across the dash-- while i do get some reflections that i need to eq out, in my particular car, firing them across the dash creates a wider spatial image(or wider sound stage), more then when the tweeters were on-axis(pointed towards me), so the reflections are working to my advantage..
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Of course - tweeter reflection.... (d'oh)
            Thanks for that (I'm so stoopid...)
            And 8" circle-point taken.
            Thanks!
            And apols for this "non-reply" reply... (but I'm so ex-d'oh rapt!)

Comment

Working...
            X