• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireing dual channel amplifier to single dual 4 ohm voice coil sub

okay ive got an RE audio SR10D4 subwoofer and a boss audio d600.2 amplifier
    its already wired in the car and is running fine
    as it sits im running a 12 guage wire from one channel to each voice coil
    this only nets me 230 watts peak per channel however
    the amplifier is bridgeable and stable to 2 ohms on each channel however i don't know if it is stable at 2 ohms bridged
    is there a way to wire the sub from the amp so it runs 2 ohms from the amplifier and 4 ohms at the subwoofer and would that allow more power or affect it at all?

Ill be upgrading sub and amp at some point to a mmats 1100.2 and an RE SE10D2 soon but i still want to see if i can make this sub amp combo more powerful

there is no way to change the impedance halfway down the wire to something else. you either run the sub at 4 ohm, or 2 ohm..

that amp is not 2 ohm bridged stable, so you would need to connect it as a 4 ohm load. the easiest way is to just use 1 voice coil.

and btw, this site is primarily for installing computers in cars, so the audio advice is a little slim(i am by no means a expert..)..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

If I were you, I'd connect the two voice coils in series for 8 Ohm and I'd bridge the amp for 460 Watts nominal at 8 Ohm.

Your 75 dollar amp has a 25 A fuse, by a rule of thumb multiply that by 8 and the max you'll ever get out of it is 200 Watt total at 2 x 2 Ohms. At 2 x 4 Ohms I would expect 100 Watts. But don't let that worry you, maybe I'm wrong :-).

Or is this thing digital, then you get some more power.

Comment

the cheapest price for the amp online is 75 dollars, but thats not from an authorized retailer and if you buy it that way and it burns out your out 75 bucks, the average retail price is 120, but i picked it up from an authorized dealer for 80 so it was a pretty good deal,

8 ohms is more resistance which would make it less powerful, and my woofer would be starving for power, if i ran the amp at 2 ohms per channel id be 600 peak per channel so probably more like 340 watts rms or so, though i imagine boss lies since its a pretty cheap amp, its fine if i cant make it louder, when i pick up my mmats ill try to run the boss at 2 ohms bridged and see if it blows, not like ill need it anymore

1221 watts rms is what is the average birthsheet on the mmats at my local retailer, thats a whole lot more power than the little boss will ever make

Comment

Originally posted by deathjunior View Post
          the cheapest price for the amp online is 75 dollars, but thats not from an authorized retailer and if you buy it that way and it burns out your out 75 bucks, the average retail price is 120, but i picked it up from an authorized dealer for 80 so it was a pretty good deal,

8 ohms is more resistance which would make it less powerful, and my woofer would be starving for power, if i ran the amp at 2 ohms per channel id be 600 peak per channel so probably more like 340 watts rms or so, though i imagine boss lies since its a pretty cheap amp, its fine if i cant make it louder, when i pick up my mmats ill try to run the boss at 2 ohms bridged and see if it blows, not like ill need it anymore

1221 watts rms is what is the average birthsheet on the mmats at my local retailer, thats a whole lot more power than the little boss will ever make

As mentioned with a 25 amp fuse the max power you will get is 25A X 12V = 300 Watts.
          That is the MAX you will get. If the amp were to produce more than that the fuse would be blown.

Get a new amp and enjoy the new improved bass.
          My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Working...
          X