Suggest an internal amplifier please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest an internal amplifier please!

So I'm setting out on a tough journey of assembling an all-in-one carputer using the ByByte's Black Box enclosure. So far, the only amp I've seen that is designed to work in it is DTA45, but I also read that the quality isn't that great. I'm not looking for a lot of power - my current HU has 50W max, 22W RMS and I'm 100% OK with that. I care more about quality rather than maximum volume.
    So, do you think DTA45 would be good enough? Or should I get something different? Note that the amp should be as small as possible - the size of DTA45 or smaller.
    Also, should I wire the amp directly to the battery or should I get a better power supply and power the monitor, the computer and the amp from it?

Thanks!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

50 watts/ch is a lot of power to fit in a tiny-already packed enclosure-- is there any chance you could use a larger-small amp mounted near the blackbox?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

50w/ch is really peak... 22w RMS is what my Pioneer F90BT has. I've seen some people suggest some amp boards from parts-express.com but nobody had any actual feedback as to how well they work. Do you know anything about DTA45?

Comment

ah, yes... brain fart...

imo, i would prefer to stay away from the dta45-- as the comments in the product thread state, it is kind of crummy, exp for $45..

there is the amp9 basic amp from 41hz.com--the diy version is 55euro, the built version is 75euro

the amps at parts-express still worry me a little-- none of the Sure electronics amps list weather the ratings are rms, or max(though i assume max)-- and as i have posted before, any amp that only lists max wattage rating is not worth buying..(though, they are very tempting at the price). if i were to use them, i would personally get 2 of the 2x25 models..

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

[looks like 41hz doesn't work with Chrome - had to look in Firefox]

http://shop.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?catid=13&itemid=27

Is this the one? That actually looks really decent. Low profile version would almost certainly fit my needs. Thanks a lot! Do you know anyone that actually used one of those amps? It's pretty difficult to find any sort of reviews on it.

Comment

that is one of them--there are a couple different variations of the amp9 kit.

i have not heard much negative feedback on 41hz's products-- they seem to be pretty decent.

2 reviews i found on a different amp, but the main chipset is made by the same company, and is the same class of amp:
            http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/amp-6_e.html
            http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/amp-6n_e.html

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Awesome, looks like I'll be going with this one! Thanks for your help so far.

I realized I have one more question, and I have to admit, it probably will sound very dumb, but I'm not big on audio equipment so here goes:

What exactly is a 4 channel amplifier? Does it provide amplification for 4 speakers or 4 inputs? In my configuration, the input will be coming from one 3.5mm jack, so there's only two channels , Left and Right. But my car has 4 speakers. Do I need a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp?

Comment

Originally posted by nivanov View Post
                Awesome, looks like I'll be going with this one! Thanks for your help so far.

I realized I have one more question, and I have to admit, it probably will sound very dumb, but I'm not big on audio equipment so here goes:

What exactly is a 4 channel amplifier? Does it provide amplification for 4 speakers or 4 inputs? In my configuration, the input will be coming from one 3.5mm jack, so there's only two channels , Left and Right. But my car has 4 speakers. Do I need a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp?
                4 channel = 4 speaker output

4, you'd need to split it if you want sound from the other 2 (front or rears). If your PC only has 1 stereo output, easiest method would be to get a stereo y-adapter to split it.
                2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
                Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

a "channel" is a single connection point for a speaker-- a 4 ch amp will have 4 speaker connections, 2ch will have 2, etc..

i can't locate a manual for the amp without getting a login and everything on 41hz's site, but typically, a 4 ch amp will have 4 inputs. all you would need to do is to cut, and connect bare wires 2x's-- ie: left channel positive and negative connections goes to inputs 1+3, right channel goes to inputs 2+4.

edit:
                  Originally posted by Wayne613 View Post
                  4 channel = 4 speaker output

4, you'd need to split it if you want sound from the other 2 (front or rears). If your PC only has 1 stereo output, easiest method would be to get a stereo y-adapter to split it.
                  this will work(and in most cases is easier to do), but if you are soldering the amp kit together anyways, just cut a 3.5mm stereo cable and solder it.. the black box is small enough, this would help keep everything compact.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

I'm pretty set on buying the AMP9 amp, but I have one last question. Since I'm building an all-in-one system, should I power the amp with the power supply? I think most people wire it directly to the battery and use the startup cable to avoid the thump. My monitor consumes about 10W, the computer itself - probably about 30-50W. If I buy a 120W supply, should I expect it to power the amp or are amps ok with unfiltered power coming from the battery?

Comment

the specific amp that you linked to before should be fine connected to car power, though it wouldn't hurt to connect it to a regulated power supply..

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

what are power requirements of this amp - it doesn't say anywhere on the website? the amp is 4x50w, 4x100w peak - but that doesn't mean it consumes 200W of power on average and 400W peak, right? So how much power should be dedicated to the amp?

Comment

you could try to email 41hz.com for a specific answer, or you could also check other commercially available 50x4 rms amps for their amperage input.. (for jl's xd series 50x4w rms amp, they recommend a 40 amp fuse)

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

I have a similar project going on and I'm also interested in this amp.
                            I would like to find out how much power I would get with the pc's output? (single core Intel Atom board)

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                              I have a similar project going on and I'm also interested in this amp.
                              I would like to find out how much power I would get with the pc's output? (single core Intel Atom board)
                              do you mean audio power, or the power it takes to make the amp work?

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X