Can I mix and match speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I mix and match speakers?

I have decided to finish the audio aspect of my install. I figured I need to finish that first since the Car PC is useless with no sound.

Originally I wanted to put Alpine SPR-17C speakers all the way around. They are 100 RMS speakers. I am now trying to penny pinch and realize I do not want to spend $120.00 per pair on speakers. So I decided to take a look at Alpine SPS-600 speakers, which are 80 RMS. What I want to know, is it ok to still use the pair of SPR-17C speakers and also use the SPS-600 speakers?

Would the SPR-17C still work to their full potential if the amp is putting out only 80 RMS per speaker? Also where should I use the SPR-17C speakers? My setup is a 7.1 setup, with two speakers in the front dash, one for center channel and then another for phone. I was thinking of putting the SPR-17C there since they are better with voice. Then have the SPS-600 everywhere else, or should I use the SPR-17C in the front doors?

I don't know much about speakers so any help would be useful. Thanx in advance.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

look at it like comparing 2 engines-- one with 80 hp, and one with 100 hp. both would propel the car, and run at similar rpm's, but the larger motor would have a little bit more 'oomph'. same for speakers.

it is fine to run speakers with a little bit less power-- the power rating is mostly derived from the way that voice coils can get rid of the heat that gets generated-- the better they get rid of the heat, the higher the power rating..

i am not crazy about mixing speakers-- in a 7.1 setup, it can mess up the imaging a little--though, if you can tolerate it then i would say to use them as the center/phone speakers-- they will probably have the most benefit there.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      look at it like comparing 2 engines-- one with 80 hp, and one with 100 hp. both would propel the car, and run at similar rpm's, but the larger motor would have a little bit more 'oomph'. same for speakers.

it is fine to run speakers with a little bit less power-- the power rating is mostly derived from the way that voice coils can get rid of the heat that gets generated-- the better they get rid of the heat, the higher the power rating..

i am not crazy about mixing speakers-- in a 7.1 setup, it can mess up the imaging a little--though, if you can tolerate it then i would say to use them as the center/phone speakers-- they will probably have the most benefit there.
      I understand.

Also the benfit of using them as center is that they will not be used much. 7.1 is mainly for movies. So I think I have my center speakers, lol. Now I can buy the rest.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Let me ask, can speakers be put side by side, or should they have a certain distance from each other?
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

not really. as long as both are securely bolted down, they shouldn't have any problems.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
        X