Wiring up my carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring up my carputer

Well i've bought a cheap Atoz E504X as its tiny and has some drivers and front end installed, the thing is i'm ditching my HU so I need a 4ch amp but the atoz only has a headphone jack with no line outs so can you get a headphone jack to left/right amp RCA port adapter? Will it sound crap?
    Also my monitor is a Necvox fd 6569 which has 2 single RCA video ins and a video out, will a VGA output from the atoz plug into a single RCA video input without the picture being rubbish?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-Convertor-...item4155c8ad15

Looks like I need one of these.

Comment

yes, you will need that to convert teh vga signal to rca.

for the audio, most 3.5mm-to-rca adapters are usually fine, and will not hurt the sound quality.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Good stuff, do you also have to wire the computer to an external PSU or can you just wire it to a 12v source? The one I have bought doesn't have the 230v-12v transformer anymore just the lead coming out.

Comment

You need a source of regulated 12v power. The vehicle doesn't provide regulated 12v power.

I highly recommend looking at the FAQs and doing some reading to get a better understanding for what you're about to undertake.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yeah i've read it needs a constant voltage or it can crash, the guy I bought it from says he just used a 12v source and it was fine
            Its strange because a lot of computers already have a linear regulator built into the circuit board.

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
              Its strange because a lot of computers already have a linear regulator built into the circuit board.
              My experience has been the exact opposite.
              Show me PC hardware that accepts fluctuating voltage. Such hardware would be a boon for the vehicle computing community.

Now, there are regulators on motherboards to provide the different voltages needed for the various buses and components, specifically 12v, 5v and 3.3v. However, those have nothing to do with regulating the main power source.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Oh dear, yes thats what I was thinking the internal regulators for the different components, which must be simple transformers technically and not regulators.
                So I need an input voltage reg as well are there any cheap and cheerful ones to recommend?

Comment

I recommend you buy a psu designed for car use.....http://store.mp3car.com/M4_ATX_250W_..._p/pwr-031.htm. Just be sure to build an appropriate computer <250watts. Even better would be <200watts, it is never good to max out your power source.

Comment

alright, so you just replace the standard one with this? Need to see if I have a 20/24 pin atx plug...the origional intent was just to shut it down when the car was off but would take too long to startup for short journeys for music, never knew sleep mode didn't use much electricity at all so could leave it on sleep for days

Comment

i think you need to do some more research on the psu-- like in the links in darque's sig.

the psu model needed is based on your hardware requirements.. the m4 that was recommended is considered a 'beefier' power supply, so depending on what parts you use it may be overkill.

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

ahhhhhh thats a better FAQ, I was reading the car audio faq sub-forum and wondering where all the decent info was...will have a good read thanks.

Comment

Right I've got a headache now with the info i've been reading...
                          Took the computer apart to see what stuff its got...

On startup it says its got a 1.6GHz pentium 4 processor don't know what cache though as the type with more kb uses less power, it has a 250mb RAM which could be upgraded to a max of 1GB so I read here http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/ezgo-p4sis650/ (how can you tell the max?)
                          Mine differs a bit as it has a toshiba 20gb HDD (may have to upgrade, but don't know if there is a max)
                          Also I have no idea how to connect a psu (120W should be fine) but its not got desktop pc connections the 12v in is just soldered to the motherboard and goes from there (no power wires apart from HDD, on/off switch and fan).
                          Confused!!!

Comment

ah, i posted without searching the model number you're referring too.. the atx power supplies we have been recommending are wrong. you require a single output power supply, like the carnetix series, dc-dc usb, or other similar models in the mp3car store..

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks for that, also need a VGA screen now as my video in one with VGA to video convertor is crap...too blurry and it flickers too much
                              Last edited by LJH; 07-16-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X