Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High quality speaker wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • High quality speaker wire

    Hey guys,


    I was wondering if there is a market for some very high-quality speaker wire. We spent months engineering several types of speaker wires using all different methods of twisting and gauge difference. We never brought any of it to market but I own all the patent designs and techniques used to create the wire.

    Would anybody be interested in such speaker wire? Do you think it could sell on here?


    Regards,
    Jim

  • #2
    not around here. this forum is mostly for installing computers in cars.

    you might have some interest at a car audio site like diymobileaudio.com.

    personally, i just use home/pro audio wire..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


    next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

    Comment


    • #3
      If you don't mind me asking, what would you typically spend on speaker wire?

      Comment


      • #4
        Obviously Jim hasn't heard of the Monster cable/coat hanger comparison test...

        Comment


        • #5
          I usually buy from here http://www.princessauto.com/search-p...1=speaker+wire when it's on sale (which it is not right now.

          Or this which is on sale: http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/...ubwoofer-cable

          I would be willing to pay more than the .18/ ft for Monster Brand if I could hear the difference in a blind sound test.
          My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sebberry View Post
            Obviously Jim hasn't heard of the Monster cable/coat hanger comparison test...
            If your referring to the article posted on many sites (Engadget, BoingBoing, Gizmodo), the tests were done very improperly and also notice they don't specifically state the quality of the music being played, nor the file format the music was encoded in.

            Sure, I can't hear the difference when a 96 kb/s compressed MP3 is playing either. Get my lossless audio file formats out and you can tell a difference between a 16 gauge Monster Cable, and a 14 gauge Monster Cable. Also note, there is alot of interference when driving a car, magnetic interference occurs every time you stop at a redlight (most of the traffic lights within the US still sensor using rumble techniques between magnetic fields).

            Originally posted by PhilG View Post
            I usually buy from here http://www.princessauto.com/search-p...1=speaker+wire when it's on sale (which it is not right now.

            Or this which is on sale: http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/...ubwoofer-cable

            I would be willing to pay more than the .18/ ft for Monster Brand if I could hear the difference in a blind sound test.
            I'm not sure I could beat that price, however I can definitely beat the quality. If you want, you can review my wire, I'll send you about 50 ft worth.

            Comment


            • #7
              monster sucks. but their marketing department is amazing. i love reading the descriptions they put on everything!

              i completely agree with you on the difference between music formats and wire size. but your loosing me at the magnetic interference caused at stoplights(my music sounds better at stoplights because the car is stopped)... i am starting to wonder if you ought to be selling to guys from stereophile magazine...

              this is the last stuff i bought that i am currently using in-car. i was a little dissapointed at how thick the strands were, but with the special words it took to install it(it is very close to the thickness of 0ga wire--ran through the factory looms), i am not planning on swapping it out anytime soon..

              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=100-484

              according to my poor math, i paid about 0.83/foot


              and for the record, i run flac files as much as possible, can't listen to stuff from itunes, use a active setup w/individual drivers, but still cannot tell too much of a difference between speaker wire once you get into the stuff that has fine strands, and is at/above 14ga...
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


              next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                monster sucks. but their marketing department is amazing. i love reading the descriptions they put on everything!

                i completely agree with you on the difference between music formats and wire size. but your loosing me at the magnetic interference caused at stoplights(my music sounds better at stoplights because the car is stopped)... i am starting to wonder if you ought to be selling to guys from stereophile magazine...

                this is the last stuff i bought that i am currently using in-car. i was a little dissapointed at how thick the strands were, but with the special words it took to install it(it is very close to the thickness of 0ga wire--ran through the factory looms), i am not planning on swapping it out anytime soon..

                http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=100-484

                according to my poor math, i paid about 0.83/foot


                and for the record, i run flac files as much as possible, can't listen to stuff from itunes, use a active setup w/individual drivers, but still cannot tell too much of a difference between speaker wire once you get into the stuff that has fine strands, and is at/above 14ga...
                Traffic lights are triggered using metal detectors and/or "rumble" sensors. Both use electromagnetic fields to detect what they are looking for; this means everytime you stop at a traffic light everything in your car is slightly effected by electromagnetic interference(EMI). Your speaker system can also be effected by RFI.

                Yeah, never buy from iTunes, that stuff is worse than playing a glued record.





                Originally posted by careboy
                this forum is mostly for installing computers in cars.
                When I build computer systems I always include the audio portion as apart of the system. Sorry for the confusion.


                _____________

                On another note, how do I make it so I don't need a moderator to check everyone of my posts when I submit. It's pretty annoying to hit submit, and see it appear a few hours later.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  monster sucks.
                  I can't agree that all "Monster sucks". To me it's great at the surplus prices I pay for it at Princess Auto. When I can't hear the difference, it's all about price and physical qualities of the wire (ie: ease of installation, gage, insulation quality) and I have no issue with Monster speaker wire in that regard.

                  Now their red interconnect cables? Thats another story, I have had 2 of them fail right at the connectors. My daughter got me Stinger interconnects to use for my final install while she was temping at an electronics store. They were under $2 each at her cost and retailed for $12.99 each. Can you say "Holy markup Batman"?
                  Last edited by Enforcer; 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM.
                  My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                    I can't agree that all "Monster sucks". To me it's great at the surplus prices I pay for it at Princess Auto. When I can't hear the difference, it's all about price and physical qualities of the wire (ie: ease of installation, gage, insulation quality) and I have no issue with Monster speaker wire in that regard.

                    Now their red interconnect cables? Thats another story, I have had 2 of them fail right at the connectors. My daughter got me Stinger interconnects to use for my final install while she was temping at an electronics store. They were under $2 each at her cost and retailed for $12.99 each. Can you say "Holy markup Batman"?
                    I don't have anything against Monster Cables, I just dislike how they prey on the ignorance of their customers with the $50 HDMI cords and what not. They do look nice though, I'll give them that .

                    They also manufacture their speaker wire for around .10/foot

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I work with lots of varying qualities of wiring in my job and for all of the marketing/packaging that Monster does, I must say they fall VERY short of what they should be for the money. Now, keep in mind that nearly all audio and video wiring sold as such is extremely marked up. The Coaxial wiring we use costs us pennies per foot, but retail price for this stuff (which is superior to monster brand coaxial cables in every way short of flexibility) is dollars per foot. With our top quality wiring costing us about a dollar per foot & a retail wire made from the same cable would cost about $300 for a 3 foot jumper. With all of these wires, the real gain is in the shielding and the connection. All the oxygen-free, gold plated, Magnetic Flux Tube®, MultiTwist™, PEX™ dielectric and Time Correct® multiple gauge wire networks mean exactly squat when the connector falls off in your hand (speaking from experience).

                      Regarding RFI/MFI from stoplights: you won't get so much as a click, fizzle, whir or any other sound from outside interference if you have wires properly shielded.

                      -Zack

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Regarding RFI/MFI from stoplights: you won't get so much as a click, fizzle, whir or any other sound from outside interference if you have wires properly shielded.
                        Exactly. Thank's for simplifying that statement. That's what I was trying to convey but I guess I must have expressed it improperly. With the right wiring, you won't get much interference at all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PhilG View Post
                          I can't agree that all "Monster sucks". To me it's great at the surplus prices I pay for it at Princess Auto. When I can't hear the difference, it's all about price and physical qualities of the wire (ie: ease of installation, gage, insulation quality) and I have no issue with Monster speaker wire in that regard.
                          that's the catch-- i only saw it go on sale when circuit city closed in my area, and don't have many contacts at car audio stores to get much of a discount, so the exorbitant price is all i see...
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                          next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                            that's the catch-- i only saw it go on sale when circuit city closed in my area, and don't have many contacts at car audio stores to get much of a discount, so the exorbitant price is all i see...
                            So the question stands, if I could manufacture this stuff for as cheap as your regular speaker wire, would you buy it?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              electrical wire = Monster wire, in quality of signal transmission.
                              10' electrical wire = 1' Monster wire, in price.

                              It really comes down to craftsmanship of the fittings. Now, audiophiles can get pure silver wire and braid them, twist them, use over-sized jackets for air insulation and all kinds of whatever they want to do for improved signal, but the cost of even homemade wiring (with proper techniques, assumed) quickly far exceeds the benefit. I think this is especially true in the automotive environment where it is impossible to completely eliminate all outside noise. In the car: get wires with a gauge that is safe for the watts you plan to pump through them and if you demand flexibility for easier installation, then shop around and find that balance. I know there are people that obsess about having flawless audio transmission, but it's difficult to justify this, except in a competition-level sound system, and unless you are competing, you are wasting money to build such a system.

                              Jim, I'm sure your wires are fantastic, but (and this is my opinion, I can't speak for a community) I don't think you will do well selling them, in this community, for our purposes. Any real effort put into high quality speaker wires belongs in a delicately set up home audio system.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X