Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound card idea? Connect two amps to a single CPU 3.5mm jack.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card idea? Connect two amps to a single CPU 3.5mm jack.

Product im looking at using is

http://us.store.creative.com/Creativ...B0044DEDCA.htm

What I was thinking was maybe i could get better quality if i skip using the USB and just use the Line IN port. My PC has a Line out that is working, but i need the sound card for the capatibility to connect two amps, One for fronts, and one for sub. This is what i was thinking of.

Technically then i wouldnt have to worry about the transfer rate of audio through USB correct? It will pretty much just push the sound out of my mother board, using this device as a splitter so i can connect the amps.

Last edited by NiceLyphe; 08-16-2011, 01:53 PM.

I am using this sound card for my laptop and I have no issues with transfer rate. If your not experiencing any right now, I would suggest this move could degrade your audio quality as you are now adding another 3.5mm audio cable to move the sound. Personally, I have had occasional issues with 3.5mm jack connections adding noise. If it were me, I would disable the internal sound card and just use X-fi with basic drivers if you need the outputs this card offers. Avoid installing the soundblaster "bloatware" if at all possible.
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Thank you for the response, I currently do not have this card, but this is just a mental set up I have in my head for right now cause I plan to buy a sound card soon, I like the fact that this card has the RCA outputs that I can use for the fronts, Sadly its a 3.5mm for the sub, but hey, if it sounds good im happy. I was just reading around and heard of some people having transfer rate issues with USB. Are there issues with the soundblaster software that I should be aware of? I will be operating the unit off of Windows XP. If I do end up getting this and using the USB I will be using this as the primary sound card for the PC.

EDIT: Also I will not be using rears, hense I technically wont be doing 5.1..Will this card be alright with just fronts and a sub? Are the configuration setting fairly user friendly when setting up the audio set-up?
      Last edited by NiceLyphe; 08-15-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

If you're using ASIO drivers you can happily run 8 channels in and 8 channels out at 24bit 96kHz over USB, so providing you have installed the drivers properly there should be no problem with just 2 channels at 44.1 or 48 kHz or whatever you are running at.

Personally I would not bother with using another sound card at all, does your sub amp have L and R outputs? You could just feed the PC audio out straight into that if it did, providing you don't mind controlling the volume with your computer.

Comment

speaking in terms of a non-high-end install:

i should warn you-- i have that card in my "desperate use only" bin, and really don't like it at all. it has a turn-on pop....

i don't think that card works that way.

i also don't believe it is easy to setup the dedicated sub output. at least not without the bloatware, or extra programs.

also-- you mention that you like the rca connections--this is only a connection type, and does not define how the sound will be. just use a 3.5mm to rca adapter on the other parts, and it will sound fine.

in most cases, the transfer rate of audio is going to be fine over usb. at least, i have not had any problems...

have you heard the sound quality of the onboard audio? in most cases, it is good enough for most people.

Originally posted by thebluehouse
          Personally I would not bother with using another sound card at all, does your sub amp have L and R outputs? You could just feed the PC audio out straight into that if it did, providing you don't mind controlling the volume with your computer.
          this is pretty much the recommended method-- it is easiest, and least complicated--and then just use the onboard crossovers to control the sound qualities.

i prefer my cl-rlc volume control knobs for volume/bass--they are much faster then the windows control..
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Ah I see, I wouldnt mind using just my onboard if i can, but I dont know how to set it up since my onboard only has one 3.5mm output jack, and ill be using separate amps for my sub and separate amp for my fronts. Yes both amps have L and R RCA Outputs. Thing is, how do I wire it up so that i can run my speakers and sub off of one jack with two amps? Cause if i could skip the external sound card I do not mind doing that. I do not mind controlling it through windows, Ill probably actually buy an external volume controller eventually.

Comment

Is a crossover like this my best bet?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...5555945796684#

Then I can run one line in from the CPU and split out the high to the front speakers, then the out output to the subs?

Comment

What motherboard are you using that only has one output jack? Just curious, I havent seen any recent ones that didnt allow you to convert your mic-in/line-in to outputs in some time.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

nicelymph: i did get your pm, but because of the other knowledgable members here, and we're all talking about same thing, i would prefer to answer it here so they can tell you when i'm wrong, or give some different possibly simpler solutions..

before i go into a exact answer, could you post your motherboard model number, and the model numbers of the amps that your connecting to?

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

No idea on the motherboard model, IDK what number is what..Here are some pictures. There is a Audio Out on the rear, Headphone Out on the front, Mic In on the front.

Here are my two amps being used.

Lanzar HTG237 1000 Watt 2-Channel Mosfet Amplifier
                    2 x 125W RMS @ 4 OHMS - Bass Boost Circuit - Low Pass Filter Controls - S/N Ratio: >90dB - Subwoofer Remote Level Control
                    2 x 500W Max @ 4 OHMS - Bridgeable at 4 Ohms - High Pass Filter Controls - Channel Separation: >65dB - Fuse: 25A x 1
                    1 x 1000W Max @ 4 OHMS Bridged - 2 Ohm Stereo Stable - Power and Protection LED Indicators -
                    2 x 225W RMS @ 2 OHMS - Gold RCA Inputs - Soft Turn-on/Turn-off - HPF Freq. Response: 80KHz
                    Electronic Crossover Network - Line Outs for Left and Right Channel - THD: <0.01%. -
                    Freq. Response: 10Hz~45KHz - Dimensions: 9.84''(L) x 2.24''(H) x 8.81''(W)
                    LPF Freq. Response: 50Hz-250Hz

Alpine MRV-T407
                    MAX Power (at 14.4V,EIAJ)
                    Bridged 4 ohms : 400W x 1
                    Per channel into 4 ohms : 140W x 2

RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-20kHz)
                    Bridged 4 ohms : 150W x 1 (0.3% THD)
                    Per channel into 2 ohms : 75W x 2 (0.3% THD)
                    Per channel into 4 ohms : 40W x 2 (0.08% THD)

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-20kHz)
                    Bridged 4 ohms : 200W x 1 (0.3% THD)
                    Per channel into 2 ohms : 100W x 2 (0.3% THD)
                    Per channel into 4 ohms : 60W x 2 (0.08% THD)

Front Speakers - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Size/TS-A1674R
                    Pioneer TS A1674R

Subs - http://www.kicker.com/comp
                    Kicker C10 10"

Board Specs.
                    Intel Atom D510 CPU @ 1.66GHZ
                    2GB RAM
                    Realtek HD sound driver/software

Some Pictures of board.
                    http://img38.imageshack.us/slideshow...=imag0429t.jpg

Comment

ok, i can tell you it is a asus board, this is part of the model number:

though, i understand-- it does only have one output, and you probably can't reconfigure the other ports.

for setup, just follow this image:

which amp is for your subs, and which is for the front speakers?

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

I have not decided on which amp I would rather use on the subs and the fronts. Any ideas by the specs? Thank you on identifying the board brand as well. When I plug in a 3.5mm jack into one of the front ports the Realtek HD software asks me what i just plugged in, I can choose between in/out/sub/center/mic, and so on. Think id be able to plug the sub into the front jack and the front speakers into the rear audio output jack? Or am i just better of splitting it like the diagram you have shown.

Comment

it is going to be easiest to split it.

while some pc's allow more manipulation that you might be able to get the sub output working, more pc's use the sub output only for media encoded with sub channel info-- 2-ch music doesn't have this-- so there is no guarantee that it would work.

i would put the lanzar for sub duty, and leave the alpine for mid duty.

and from there, just use the onboard crossovers to tweak the sound.

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Alright, sounds like a plan. Any concern with certain RCA jack brands? Does it matter if i use cheaper ones, or if i use more costly ones? As for the picture above, I was thinking of just running two RCA to 3.5MM wires, one from each amp, then use a 2 female to 1 male 3.5mm adapter to connect the two. I wouldn't have any issues wiring it like that correct?

Comment

i believe rca connectors are a little more solid, as i have had problems with 3.5mm jacks getting loose in some jacks, so using 3 of them might only increase your problems.

for the brand of rca cabling, i haven't used them in the car, but have used them elsewhere-- monoprice.com rca's. they are really good quality for a really cheap price. if i remember right, they ship from california, so none of the china wait times..

otherwise, if you don't want to order online, just get the medium-grade stuff-- not the cheapest you can find, but not the most expensive.. i have tried really cheap cabling, and they can hurt the sound, and i have tried expensive cabling-- which doesn't really improve anything..

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X