Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to power amplified antenna with carpc

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around for a while to solve this issue but maybe I am not using the right keywords or something.

I plan to use the Dabby DVB,DAB+, FM USB tuner. I plan to plug this into factory antenna, which is an amplified antenna. I have all the necessary plugs/cables to convert from OEM to RF.

The question is, can I just hook the antenna power cable to 12v DC or do I need to hook it up to 5v or something?

All the car antennas i've seen that need power require 12v DC
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Ditto.

Usually powered from "aux power outs" on radios else the ACC position (or whatever...). Some or most radio antenna (controller) circuits are also suitable - ie, those supply +12V to extend the antenna and later cut the +12V to retract it. (Older ones are often just a pulse to release older "latched" or locked-down manual antennas etc.)

And AFAIK those amps are usually low Amps. The one I had one (last millennium) was ~10mA; the equivalent of one, or a half, LED.

Comment

You need power inserter and a 12v - 5V power supply. Google for konig power inserter.

Comment

Originally posted by Fekker View Post
          You need power inserter and a 12v - 5V power supply. Google for konig power inserter.
          This is for a standard antenna, what I am trying to do is use my amplified car antenna, which has a seperate ant power lead. After doing some more research I believe that I can just hook it to the Acc to get it working.

Comment

FIY, Iím using a powered aerial; the supply of course is for powering the RF preamp located inside the base of the antenna.

The aftermarket DAB, FM, AM unit I fitted takes 12v to 24v. I connected mine to the ACC line.
            Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Originally posted by elpres View Post
              After doing some more research I believe that I can just hook it to the Acc to get it working.
              that was exactly what i was going to recommend.
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

find the antenna power wire and hook it up to a switch power wire and call it a big fat day
                CarPc
                Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

Originally posted by elpres View Post
                  This is for a standard antenna, what I am trying to do is use my amplified car antenna, which has a seperate ant power lead. After doing some more research I believe that I can just hook it to the Acc to get it working.
                  I see, that inserter works for fm/dab as well and is for an antenna without a seperate feed wire like I have, as you now state there is a power wire from the antenna then yes it connects to the acc output from the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Fekker View Post
                    I see, that inserter works for fm/dab as well and is for an antenna without a seperate feed wire like I have, as you now state there is a power wire from the antenna then yes it connects to the acc output from the radio.
                    right from the start I mentioned antenna power cable

Comment

Of course you did, in my haste to try and be helpful I overlooked that.

Comment

Working...
                      X