will a 700watt 2 channel amp be ok for

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a 700watt 2 channel amp be ok for

will a 700watt 2 channel amp be ok for 2 12" dual coil 400 watt dubs ?

to gather they are 800w the 700watt amp would put out 350 watt per channel will this be ok and not blow the subs ?

and what would be a good quality amp be that wont coast an arm and a leg

i was looking at JL audio but cant find a 700/2 amp

thanks

A Higher wattage amp should not technically "Blow" your subs, Always better to overpower than underpower. Are those true RMS numbers? or just MAX wattage numbers?

Comment

the Manuel says rms 400 and right now there hooked to a 280 4 channel amp way under powered 70watts per channel

Comment

I see, Yea I would def go with more power..If the 700/2 is in your price range i say go for it.

Comment

what is the rms specs of the speaker and the amp? or better yet, could you post the models that you are talking about?

a higher wattage amp will not blow lower wattage speakers-- at least not right away.

i ran 150w max(75w rms) subs off a 300w rms amp for 3-4 years-- the amp is still in use in my car, and the subs still work..

it all depends on how they are setup, and how hard you run them.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

all i could find is

12" Dual 4 Ohms Performer Series Subwoofer
            Power Handling:

Peak: 800 watts
            RMS: 400 watts

Impedance: Dual 4 ohms
            Carbon glass fiber cone
            EPDM rubber surround
            2 ohm or 8 ohm operation

Multi-connect lug lock terminals
            2" Dual 4 ohm voice coil
            Frequency response: 20-500 Hz
            Sensitivity: 93 dB

remember i have 2 of them

what about getting a 500/1 mono amp and having them wired for 4ohms i was just thanking about JL audio JX500/1
            Rated Power 14.4 V: 340W x 1 @ 4 ohm - 500W x 1 @ 2 ohm
            Last edited by rickybennett; 08-18-2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

speakers are underpowered with the amp. you will not get 14.4 volts in your car, 13 volts maybe... you can run ONE speaker on the amp efficiently .. if you run both 12 inch subs.. you risk burning something out.. speakers first...

the speakers are 400 watts RMS.. which mean 400 watts is where the speaker will play at optimum levels
              800 peak power is the highest power it can take momentarily not steadily. ..

if you bridge that 700 watt amp to those two speakers, the ohms will be 2 ohms load.. and thus you will have 800 watts rms that you have to push to those speakers
              and being that the amp is peaking at 700watts.. its about 350 rms ( if you got 14.4 volts).... so you are seriously under powering the speakers and straining the amp..
              just my 2 cents...
              CarPc
              Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

Originally posted by chris350 View Post
                ...( if you got 14.4 volts)....
                If only it had a quality SMPS.

I find it strange that so many (high power) amps claim output powers that are proportional to the supply voltage-squared.
                Strange indeed!

FYI - I just butchered some kicker amp - it used a typical TL494 SMPS chip.

But I learned something from the above - unless I turn my amp volume up to full, I am straining the amp, or wrecking my speakers.
                That's news to me. ( )

Comment

Lol. You can turn the gain down but that's like having a pools table and only bring able to use one pocket. The speaker is not being used to it's full potential. Might as well get speakers that the amp can handle. Kinda like our brains, scientist
                  Say we only use about 10% of it, the rest is just a waste lol. I can go on and on with the analogies lol
                  CarPc
                  Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

Originally posted by chris350 View Post
                    Kinda like our brains, scientist Say we only use about 10% of it, the rest is just a waste
                    Alas a common misconception and quote, but totally false. It's like saying that computer memory is wasted because it only uses one byte or word (at a time).

The correct statement is that we use ALL our brain, but only 10% at a time. (ie - average instantaneous brain utilisation is 10%)
                    The becomes evident if you have seen enough brain activity mappings etc.

Too late to nip that one in the bud (like the flat earth crap), but I do try to dispel such myths.

PS - not that I used any analogies in my previous reply(s).
                    Last edited by OldSpark; 08-19-2011, 02:17 AM. Reason: PS...

Comment

Originally posted by OldSpark View Post
                      If only it had a quality SMPS.

I find it strange that so many (high power) amps claim output powers that are proportional to the supply voltage-squared.
                      Strange indeed!

FYI - I just butchered some kicker amp - it used a typical TL494 SMPS chip.

But I learned something from the above - unless I turn my amp volume up to full, I am straining the amp, or wrecking my speakers.
                      That's news to me. ( )
                      many amps by alpine and jl use a variation of the RIPS power supply(they both have a different name for it, but it is the same patent). i know for a fact that alpines pdx series, and jl's hd series amps use this tech, and believe there are other amps within each lineup that also use it.

it is a switching power supply design which allows the amps to always produce rated power. if i remember right, you do loose a little efficiency due to the switching method, but imo, is still leaps and bounds above standard amps...

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

Not that I've read the patent, but that sounds like an SMPS.
                        SMPS are "constant power" (output) - it was one of their main intentions (aside from removing the low-Hz transformers for efficiency, weight, and international AC inputs).

Battery and related specs have been catering for them for years (since 1990 if not before), hence the typical resistive, constant current, and constant power discharge curves and respective reserve times that are furnished.

It sounds like RIPS is merely a development of SMPS.
                        [ Not all SMPS are constant power, but since they usually monitor output voltage - as in amps and PC supplies etc - they are constant power output devices. Essentially constant power input too depending on higher current etc losses. ]

So why do many SMPS-containing amplifiers vary output power as if they are resistive?
                        Me smells some flawed marketing, else VERY strange designs.
                        (Imagine the M-series etc converters varying output (voltage) with input voltage!)
                        To quote Stargate's Teal'c "Stange indeed!"

Comment

for subs you might be better off with a monoblock amp. They tend to be higher power for your money and you don't need many of the features found on multi-channel amps. Especially since the subs should be running the exact same channel anyway.

(crutchfield used as reference point, I know they aren't the best prices)
                          Infinity kappa One $290 - 800x1
                          Kenwood KAC-9105D $300 - 900x1
                          Alpine MRP-M1000 $330 - 1000x1
                          Boston Acoustics GTA-1000M $350 - 1000x1
                          Rockford Fosgate Prime R1000-1D $350 - 1000x1
                          Alpine MRX-M100 $400 - 1000x1

2 channel amps:
                          actually I couldn't find any 400x2 2ch amps on that site...

4 channel amps, bridged:
                          Rockford Fosgate Power T1000-4AD $1000 - 500x2
                          there was a Focal amp listed for $1200 that did 380x2, but that RF amp was the only multi-ch amp that meets the rms on a pair of 400w subs

if you already own that 700w amp, then just get lower RMS subs... it depends on what you haven't purchased yet, I guess
                          Last edited by Ryven; 08-19-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Alas a common misconception and quote, but totally false. It's like saying that computer memory is wasted because it only uses one byte or word (at a time).

The correct statement is that we use ALL our brain, but only 10% at a time. (ie - average instantaneous brain utilisation is 10%)
                            The becomes evident if you have seen enough brain activity mappings etc.

Too late to nip that one in the bud (like the flat earth crap), but I do try to dispel such myths.

PS - not that I used any analogies in my previous reply(s).
                            i stand corrected.. lol
                            CarPc
                            Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Comment

Not that I've read the patent, but that sounds like an SMPS.
                              SMPS are "constant power" (output) - it was one of their main intentions (aside from removing the low-Hz transformers for efficiency, weight, and international AC inputs).

Battery and related specs have been catering for them for years (since 1990 if not before), hence the typical resistive, constant current, and constant power discharge curves and respective reserve times that are furnished.

It sounds like RIPS is merely a development of SMPS.
                              [ Not all SMPS are constant power, but since they usually monitor output voltage - as in amps and PC supplies etc - they are constant power output devices. Essentially constant power input too depending on higher current etc losses. ]

So why do many SMPS-containing amplifiers vary output power as if they are resistive?
                              Me smells some flawed marketing, else VERY strange designs.
                              (Imagine the M-series etc converters varying output (voltage) with input voltage!)
                              To quote Stargate's Teal'c "Stange indeed!"
                              many amp designs still do not use the regulated design. after my recent power regulation adventures in my car (powering some recently-installed led tail lights), i agree that it is way to easy to not be included in all automotive devices.

i started looking into this--

according to crutchfield.com, they don't even mention the regulated power input on these models:
                              http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136HD60...Brand|JL+Audio

it is kinda visible in the cryptic product specs on jl's site(last sections under the notes):
                              http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=482

after some searches focusing on the r.i.p.s. system, i found this on crutchfields site(link):
                              Originally posted by crutchfield
                              R.I.P.S.(Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply): R.I.P.S. stands for "Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply" and is a central feature of the JL Audio's Slash v2 amplifier. The JL Audio R.I.P.S. System ensures consistent power delivery over a wide range of battery voltages and load impedances. This technology provides optimum power at any impedance level between 1.5 ohm to 4 ohm per channel and at any vehicle voltage level between 11V and 14.5V.

* Regulated Power Supply: "Regulated" means that the power supply adjusts its operation so as to maintain the amplifier's rated power output and low distortion operation over a wide range of vehicle voltages (11V-14.5 V). This allows the JL Audio Slash v2 amplifier's the rail voltage and clean power output to remain stable in real-world car-audio systems, resulting in superior fidelity and stability.
                              * Intelligent Power Supply: The "Intelligent" portion of the R.I.P.S. System is a circuit that actually monitors output current to optimize the amplifier's output power over a wide range of load impedances (1.5 ohm to 4 ohm per channel). The R.I.P.S. System detects the actual impedance being driven and adjusts output rail voltages to deliver optimum output. The entire process is seamless, automatic, and results in incredible dynamics for satellite channels and consistent power output for a wide range of subwoofer configurations. It also takes into account the real impedance of your car-audio system, rather than relying on often inaccurate assumptions based on a speaker's rated impedance.
                              and another dumbed-down version on jl's site:
                              http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_a...hp?page_id=252

so yes, it i believe it is a SMPS power system, but they don't advertise it that way...

moving over to alpines lineup, i cannot find any info of the pdx series using this tech.
                              the pdx series uses a power management processor to reduce output when the amp starts to heat up, but i see no mention of a variable input power supply...

next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                              X