Why does my new setup sound like ***?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my new setup sound like ***?

So I installed a RF 500X to a set of Polk Audio MM6501 for my fronts and a pair of Polk Audio db650 for my rears..

Before hooking them up to my amp and running them directly off my deck they sounded OK (I'm 99% sure and will verify soon).. Ever since hooking up to my AMP and running off my CarPC they sound like total ***.. The rears sound like they are blown even at low volume but I know they aren't..

Few things to note:

* The front left woofer (6 3/4") isn't hooked up yet. Can't find the wires.
    * The door speakers don't fully cover the opening. The fronts came with brackets but they still don't fully cover the hole.. The rears I had to fab my own and they don't cover fully either.
    * I eliminated the CarPC and ran audio from my iPhone to the AMP and still had same quality issues..

Things to check?

Thanks!
    Current Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro

Second Vehicle: Sold it :( 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab

First Vehicle: 2003 Ford Ranger

Can you borrow an amp from someone and swap out the 500x as a test? If the sound improves, your amp would be the problem.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Ok so I removed the amp and have it running directly off the head unit and there is no sound issues... When it's hooked to the amp it sounds like jack..

The amp is set to AP (All Pass) and the input set to 2 (not 4). I only have one set of RCAs so I can only enter them in the one set.. Here is the manual.

Could that be the issue?

Comment

I'm wondering if this is my issue...

Comment

^ it can't hurt to try.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

I'll try that shortly. Another question.. I was looking at getting an Infinity Basslink ($189) for my bass.. I want something that isn't HUGE because with the car I have now (Dodge Nitro) I don't want to take up the entire back area..

Should I get that or just get a sub and box? I have a Kicker zx350.2 that is available to use for my amp and it looks like Best Buy is giving a free box with a sub..

"Save now, while you can get a free subwoofer enclosure with purchase of each Alpine or Kenwood 10" or 12" subwoofer below."

Get the all in one or buy a sub / box? If so, what sub / box in the link above would be good?

Thanks

Comment

Was thinking about the Alpine - 12" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer SWE-1243 ($80) and possibly this box or this box.

Thoughts?

Comment

there have been a few members on my eclipse forum that used the basslink--the quality seems to be similar as the motorized touch screens around here.. so i don't recommend them.

i have always liked using separate amp/sub/boxes for the flexibility it offers.

a 10" sub is going to be better for taking up less space, though, the truck box and type e sub should do ok--that box is within the box recommended by alpine.

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Yea, I'm leaning towards a box/sub/amp and not the all in one.. So you would recommend the 12" with the long truck box instead of the other box I linked?

What do you think about sound/performance difference between a 10 and a 12 with the amp I'm going to use?

Comment

i recommend the truck box mostly for the lesser trunk space it would take up, alpines 'perfect box' is 1.25 cu ft, so the truck box is closest to that. the squarer-box is closer to 2cu. ft.

a 10" will be a little quieter, though, is much more space friendly..

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Much more space friendly? What box / sub do you recommend from that list if I went 10"?

So I would basically, at that point, be trading off volume for space?

Comment

exactly.

i'm not big on recommendations as different subs sound different to different people.. so if you like alpine, i imagine the type e 10" would do just as good, just a little bit less powerful.

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

I put these three together recently and it has changed my life. Just an idea :-) Also the box is pretty tiny but almost perfect for the sub.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-SEX10D4.html
                          http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-1500.1.html
                          http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-0.7-Gray.html
                          Last edited by JohnnyT; 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM.
                          Audio
                          Front / Rear RE Audio RE6.5C + RE Audio DTS-500.4
                          Sub RE Audio SEX10D4 + RE Audio DTS-1500.1
                          Carputer
                          MOCOSO Case + MiniTouch DD + Asrock E350M1

Comment

OK so I hook everything back up to my CarPC after adding my second amp for my woofer and I get NO sound.. I'm like WTF as this amp was just working fine (altho it sounded like ****e) a week ago.. So I take the RCA's out and one set of speaker wires and connect it to the woofer amp that I hadn't yet connected and there was sound..

So that tells me there is something definitely wrong with my RF500X? It has power (light is on), RCA's are connected to it from the CarPC, speaker wires are connected, but I get no sound!? I try all three sets of inputs (front, rear, and pass thru) just for the hell of it and I get nothing.. No pops, hisses, etc.. Nothing..

Do you think it sounding like crap was just a sign of it being on it's way out and then me hooking it up again tonight did her in?

This sucks such major ***... Anyone recommend a 4 channel amp that isn't crazy expensive to power my door speakers?

Thanks

Comment

have you tried turning the gain down on the amp? you may have it turned up too high causing distortion ....just a thought..
                              CarPc
                              Project "Driver"

Planning [99.9%]

Parts Collected [98.5%]

Installation & Fabrication [98%]

Total Completion Level [96.9 %]

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ct-driver.html

Comment

Working...
                              X