Line out is noisy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line out is noisy

I have lineout, In and Mic 3.5" connectors from the motherboard. When I connect a set of headphones to the Line-Out I get a lot of hiss. Is there any way to get around this or do I need to abandon that connector and try something else?

This is the last part of the project. I hope its a quick fix.

what motherboard are you running? are you using a case?
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I would think hiss would be the sound card itself. What happens if you mute it? Is there a mic or line in hooked up? A cheap USB soundcard might be a good investment.

Comment

Board is a Quanmax KEEX-2030
        Box is the blackbox-N

I get the hiss without the engine running. Just switch the ignition to accessories and the system boots but still has the hiss.

I'm using the onboard sound (realtek 5.1) and starting to think that a USB soundcard is the way to go.

Comment

try to ground the negative side of the headphone output to the negative side of the power supply--many of pcb's lack that connection and cause the hiss.

edit: i should add that most motherboards rely on the case to provide this ground, but because your case is non-conductive plastic, it just can't do it
          Last edited by soundman98; 03-12-2012, 05:31 PM.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

I will and thank you for that.

Comment

hey any luck? having same issue

Comment

Originally posted by bossman137 View Post
                hey any luck? having same issue
                I think so. The power supply failed about 1 hour later. I expect that it was being worked too hard. I now have an M4-ATX instead of an M2-ATX and there is no noise on the line while on the bench.

Comment

Ya i have the same one. So what was your fix? I've had the most success with grounding the rca coming from the pc. interference sound is now down to a bearable whisper, but not completely gone

Comment

I have switched to a more powerful power supply and I will probably also be switching to a USB audio out box so that I don't need the line-out.

Comment

Oh, dang, I can't do that lol already at the m4. Ok thanks anyways I hope you have better luck with the usb sound card mine helped none at all

Comment

Turn the volume down on the line-in as much as you can and mute it when its not in use. Thats all i've ever been able to do to cure the noise issues in various cars.
                        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Working...
                        X