No announcement yet.

Review my build idea for me

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review my build idea for me

Help go over my build idea and tell me if I am missing anything.

1. acer kav60 netbook with Element 7" Touchscreen Display

Intel Atom 1.6Ghz - 1G ram - 3 USB - 1 VGA - 1 lousy 3.5mm headphone output

2.sound processing// two channel USB DAC

2a. Clarion MCD360 2/3 Way Crossover

3. stereo amp Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4

4. Front door components Polk Audio DXi 5250

5. rear speakers staying stock for now

6. Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-2 - 2-channel car amplifier bridged for 400watt sub output

7. Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 - Shallow-mount 10" 4-ohm subwoofer
    Last edited by kdl; 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM.

kdl, your build idea is right on point. The use of the USB is a good option, but personally I'd use a dedicated DAC using the optical output of the MB. This will reduce noise trememdously (not talking ground loops, but noises inside the PC like HDD wind up, etc.). I use this setup in my system. Other than that, you appear to have a well balanced design with enough power for all speakers. Seems like a good build to me.

missing the car?
      2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
      Base System = Raspberry Pi
      Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

The car is a mini cooper.
        The PC Does not have any audio optical out. only analog from the 3.5mm jack. so the USB dac is the only real option for me.

Understood. Look out for ground loops. You may have to do some testing to ground the PC and/or DAC properly but it is well worth the headache. I started out using the 5.1 audio out but switched to outboard DAC due to the PC noise. I could never get rid of it. Optionally you can install a ground loop isolator but you may notice a decrease in freq response using one. Anyway good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THanks man. Yea The netbook is holding me back a little bit. The more research I do The less the netbook is working out for me. But when i started this project my inspiration was using the netbook for low power consumption, easy install and quick resume from sleep/hibernate.
            Last edited by kdl; 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM.

startup/shutdown for the netbook will likely be your biggest hurdle. Oh, and mounting it in a usable way.
              Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.