Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Line driver or Processor (bitone, alpine h800)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line driver or Processor (bitone, alpine h800)

I have a car PC with Creative X-Fi soundcard. Two amplifiers in the car - 4-channel for 4 speakers and monoblock for subwoofers. I am planning on sending RCA's from sound card to amps. 360W PSU for PC. Will I require line drivers? If this is the case, would you recommend as an alternative to a line driver setup, purchasing an audio processor unit like the BitOne or Alpine PDX-H800 so I can control sound better? I am only using griffin powermate to manage volume on the PC, I don't think I'll have adequate control over my sound system?

What are your thoughts and solutions?
    2003 Mitsubishi Lancer CarPC Build Thread

i can't answer if the audio processor is any 'better' in this case. for me, that is personal preference. while computer-based audio processing is overall more expensive when looking at the costs(pc was probably in the range of $1,000, soundcard was about $180, software will be $200) it is much more of a hassle to set up, but can be configured in any direction you want it to be. a audio processor-- as i'm sure you've already looked at the cost-- is about the same as your overall pc cost, normally a little less. but there is very little setup-- just plug your cables into it, configure some settings-- in some cases, they are automatic, and you're done. normally, they cover every aspect that you really ever need to adjust to get a good soundstage, and as a bonus, they are not reliant on the pc working to make your sound system work.

but even after all that, i personally prefer the adjustments that the computer-based processing gives me--even though it is more expensive and time consuming, simply because i can do whatever i want with it, whenever i want to do it--which is half the fun of a carpc for me. in the same respect, i don't really need a carpc either

as for the line driver, i would say that is something to consider after installing the carpc. many are happy with the volume of a setup like that, but just as many aren't-- again, it's personal preference as to which side of the fence you fall on..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I think i will just go with the line driver setup and use the software for my sound card to manage equalization. good idea, you think?

this is the line driver i was thinking: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-1268-mat...l-matcher.aspx

Comment

yes, that would be good. audio control is a very good brand.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          yes, that would be good. audio control is a very good brand.
          great good to know. thank you

Comment

Working...
          X