Using Android instead of head unit - not getting any sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Android instead of head unit - not getting any sound

My head unit was stolen and I haven't found anything I really want to get, so I tried hooking my Android (Samsung Galaxy SII to my RCA jacks going to my amp. I'm not getting anything.

This is my amp:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF...00.html?tp=115

I ran a 3.5mm out of the headphone jack. I have an adapter - 3.5mm --> RCA.

From that, I put Y-splitters to split each into 2 channels.

I then hooked the RCA lines coming from my amp into the splitters.

I'm wondering if something was damaged when they yanked the unit, or if I have something hooked up wrong into the amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130717_0704551_zps6a083b35.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2310033

Name:	20130717_0715231_zpscfca6ccc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2310034

Thank you for your help.

How are you turning the amp on an off? Looks iight but if your amp is not on your not going to hear anything.. Get a cheap eq...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I was a little unsure about that - I assume I need that to turn it on and off.

Comment

Just hook the remote turn on lead (normally blue) that was connected to your head unit to ignition switched 12 volts so the amp turns on and off when the car does.

Comment

Name:	20130718_184644[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	2285756

If I understand the wiring right, the blue wire comes in from the trunk, and meets up with my door chime and a blue wire that goes to my ignition.

Comment

I thought this posted and was waiting on mod approval, but it seems it did not.

I have a blue wire coming from the trunk, and hooked up with blue wires going to 1) my chime controller, and 2) my ignition area.

Name:	20130718_184644[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	2285757

Comment

What vehicle is this in? Do you have a motorized or amplified radio antenna? I am assuming that the blue wire from the trunk is the one that is attached to the blue with white stripe wire? It appears to be the same one that follows the rca signal cables but it is hidden by the other wires in the photo. In the photo, it appears that the red wire attached to the pink one is cut. If so.... then splice it in to the blue wire from the trunk. If you have a volt meter, you may want to verify that the red wire has 12 volts when the ignition switch is on.

Comment

It's a 2005 Chevy Cavalier. It's not motorized or amplified. I'll check the volt on the red. Can I just run it in with the blue ones? Or actually splice it into the blue one?

Comment

I tested the red with my multimeter, and it didn't seem like it's 12V.

Comment

Can I cut the blue, and wind together the 2 halves and the red and cap it? Do I unhook my battery?

Comment

Well, that didn't work. I think I'm going to stop by the place that put my amp in since I'll be back in town there.

Comment

Making sure none of the wires are shorting out on anything, you want to find what wires coming out of that gray connector plug has 12Volts on it when your key is in the ON or ACC position, and 0 volts when in the OFF position. This allows your amp to turn on/off with the car and not drain your battery down. If you disconnect the battery, then you wont have any voltage for testing which wire you need. On a 2004 cavalier it is pink for the Accessory on signal, on the aftermarket-radio end of the gray plug its probably red, or maybe blue or blue with a white stripe (but the two later are usually outputs from the aftermarket head unit to amps, while the first is what triggers the headunit to turn on). Once you find this wire you want to attach it with the lone blue wire that disappears into the back of the dash with the RCA wires. Do this by stripping back the insulation an inch or so and twist the two wires together. Then fold the twist over on itself and tape it up for a cheap-yet-somewhat-reliable-connection.

If you want to unhook your battery (ground first) then do so after you discover what wire you need. It's safer that way. 12 volts isn't going to hurt anyone with dry hands. If you don't unhook the battery just be sure to leave the key out of the ignition when you're stripping the wires back.

Comment

I just got a new head unit.

Comment

Working...
                          X