Amp Wiring Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Wiring Kit

Hey. I recently bought a 400 Watt amp, and wiring kit. Opened the kit up and realized. ..DOH! Wrong wattage... or so they tell me. The kit includes X amount of 8 AWG power wire. Will 8 AWG work with my amp? HMy justification for keeping it is that the fuse the kit comes with is 30 Amps, the same size as the fuse on my amp. Also, it is a crunch, low level which means it's probably over-rated. If I maxed out the wire it came with, it'd max out my amp... which I don't see happening with my conditions. My amp is just powering two 6.5's and two 6*9's. Thanks for your input.
    My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
    2 Kicker Comp 10"
    Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
    Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
    Check it out?!

what size amp are you running? If you're only running a set of 6.5s and a set of 6x9s, it should be fine. Is it a 2 channel amp or a 4 channel amp? The lower the ohm load, the more power consumption.
    2008 Ford Expedition EL Ltd

Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

Comment

2 channel amp, 400 watts ^^. Since it's two , 4Ohm speakers per channel in series, it'd be 2 ohms per channel I believe.
      2 Kicker Comp 10"
      Check it out?!

Comment

Oh and the wiring kit is rated at 200 watts.
        2 Kicker Comp 10"
        Check it out?!

Comment

refer to the other post "car stereo for idiots" or thereabouts to determine whether that's 400 watts RMS or whether that's 400 Peak watts. More that likely it's peak, and you're probaby fine with the 8 gauge wire.
          Next, are you sure it's series?? Series wiring of four 4 ohm speakers would actually mean that each channel sees 8ohms, and the acoustic output is lowered.
          If you're wiring two positives and two negatives together, it's parallel, and THEN it'll drop ohm levels to 2 and create increased acoustic output (read: louder). If you're crossing the 6x9s over (not too deep of a bass) so as not to draw too much current, let alone save the speakers from distortion, I believe you'll be fine with 8 gauge wire.
          Just my .02

TaylorMade

Carputer yanked from the Jeep and Denali and waiting to be installed in the Ford.

Comment

"car stereo for idiots" pretty much said it all. LOL yea it's parallel. I'm going to try and return it, to get the 4 guage with distro block, so I don't have to run a n extra wire for my computer.
            2 Kicker Comp 10"
            Check it out?!

Comment

right on, that's the safe bet.

Comment

Yea, if they'll take it back... I opened it. Ebay anyone? Actually if I exchange, It shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the feedback/help. I shoud've paid more attention... DOH.
                2 Kicker Comp 10"
                Check it out?!

Comment

Update.

Grr. Marketing! I returned my Monster for a better one. And found that they had one that was rated at 1000 watts, but it was still 8 guage!!! Bought it. Oh well, saved five bucks, and if this one breaks, I'll still be covered by warranty cuz I'm not overloading it, according to the box.

Today I learned about marketing. You can buy a 1000 watt monster for $120 or pay $30 like mine. Granted I know monter kicks it's butt, but if this works... why pay more?
                  2 Kicker Comp 10"
                  Check it out?!

Comment

wal mart sells decent wiring kits cheep.

Comment

Cable is cable is cable. Head to any of the mobile audiophile sites and you'll see that this is probably one of the most hotly debated topics, with the consensus being that there's no difference; someone even stated a story where an engineer for an amp company (ZAPCO? I can't remember, it was one of the upper-end brands) basically used a friggin' coat hanger as a cable with more than acceptable results; all the Monster marketing schtick is crap. One place that sells excellent cable cheap is www.knukonceptz.com, they're one of the most recommended places I've seen for connectors.

Comment

8AWG should be fine for just the one amp but the better option would be 4 AWG back to a distro block and then 8 from there to the amp. (which i think you've already determined)

but one thing i wanted to point out that hadn't been touched ... you said something about it being 2 channels and 4 ohms so you think that'd be 2 ohms per channel? that's incorrect. When your specs say 150W RMS x2 @ 4Ohm that means 150 watts rms for each channel at for ohms. that's each channel at 4 ohms ... not that the two channels are 4 ohms put together.

This is totally dependent on the speaker you're using. If it's a single voice coil, it will more than likely be 4 Ohms. If you ahve a dual 4Ohm voice coil speaker, and wire the two VCs in parralell ... then you'll be running 2 Ohms and can get more power out of the amp.
                        My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

I have two 4 OHM speakers per channel, hooked in parallel. Then that's 2 ohms per channel. Is that right? I thought that's what I said. And I bought an 8 guage kit rated at 1000 Watts. I'll end up running that to a distro block.

Edit:: I think you just misread what I said about my speakers, because when you said that back, I was like "Yea... isn't that what I'm doing?"
                          It's cool though, thanks for pointing it out.
                          2 Kicker Comp 10"
                          Check it out?!

Comment

ooohhhh so you have four speakers in all ... two in parallel on ch 1 and two in parallel on ch 2 ...

ok then yes ... 2 ohm ... my bad :-)
                            My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

LOL, it's cool man. I'm glad people point things out.
                              2 Kicker Comp 10"
                              Check it out?!

Comment

Working...
                              X