Car 5.1 Dsp Options Vs Pc 5.1 Dsp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car 5.1 Dsp Options Vs Pc 5.1 Dsp

There are only 2 useable mobile DSPís that are compatible with PCís the Audiobahn ADD51T & the Panasonic CY-AC300 EX or the older version the CY-AC300

First I will tell you why you need a mobile DSP versus a PC based DSP like the Extigy

Mobile DSPís are engineered for harsh noisy 12 volt environments there power supplies
    Are designed to block out the power surges and electrical noise from the alternator & ignition system

The RCA outputs are a minimum of 3 volts peak to peak because of this they block out 98% of the radiated noise and prevent & reduce the severity of ground loop noise that wine you hear from the ignition system & alternator in an automobile
    PC based systems have a output of no more than 2 volts peak to peak & there power supplies have hardly any filtering they also use up computer resources & slow things down and often do not support Dolby Digital & DTS

Here are some terms that are often used incorrectly

Toslink is a connector used on some fiber optic cables but not all

SP/DIF is 1 a transmission protocol like USB & IEEE1394
    2 it is also a transmission medium SP/DIF specís is a 50 ohm RCA cable also known as a digital audio cable

AC3 is an audio CODEC transmission protocol

Linear PCM also known as PCM is an Audio CODEC

Dolby Digital Dolby prologic I/II & DTS 5.1 are all audio CODECíS

Hereís how it works

The computer gets the data form the DVD & sends it to a program like AC3 Filter witch extracts the codec you want say DTS then converts it to a AC3 stream and sends it to the sound card witch converts it to a SP/DIF data stream & sends it out the SP/DIF output or sends it out the fiber optic output as a SP/DIF data stream the SP/DIF signal sends the AC3 signal that is sending the DTS data to the processor where it is converted to separate analog signals kinda confusing I ainít it

Hereís why other mobile DSPís wonít work

The Audiobahn & Panasonic units are standalone units meaning they will work with any input that meets minimal requirements witch is a Toslink or Digital Audio cable sending a AC3 data stream they donít require other equipment to work properly they also have built in volume controls other units require a stereo RCA signal to control the volume and it is not easy to run 2 sound cards on 1 PC and have both being used by the same program at the same time

The Pioneer DSP can be used if you use a pioneer head unit with it to control the volume

What you need to do is to cut the pioneer fiber optic cable & polish the cut end & then put it in a Toslink connector so you can plug it into a PC or SP/DIF to Toslink converter if needed

All other units Alpine Kenwood & so on canít easily be implemented with a PC because of the volume control problem

Yeah! Real information on Mobile DSP! I wish my bank account had more zeros on the left of the decimal.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Nice Info. thanks
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
        Yeah! Real information on Mobile DSP! I wish my bank account had more zeros on the left of the decimal.
        Yeah, but doesn't everyone wish that?

Comment

Thanks for the info port20

Originally posted by port20
          All other units Alpine Kenwood & so on canít easily be implemented with a PC because of the volume control problem
          So if you are will to use a headunit from the same manafacture for volume control are any other dsps useable?

ie do they have Toslink or other easy to convert connectors?
          Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Comment

daiwilliamsuk here's your answer only with the pioneer

other units require a stereo RCA signal to control the volume and the toslink or spdif it is not easy to run 2 sound cards on 1 PC and have both being used by the same program at the same time
            now if you can send analog and digital signals at the same time then you don't need a head unit
            it is very hard and sometimes not possable to use 2 sound cards with the same program but if you rewrite the app to do so it could work

Comment

daiwilliamsuk here's your answer only with the pioneer

other units require a stereo RCA signal to control the volume and the toslink or spdif it is not easy to run 2 sound cards on 1 PC and have both being used by the same program at the same time
              now if you can send analog and digital signals at the same time then you don't need a head unit
              it is very hard and sometimes not possable to use 2 sound cards with the same program but if you rewrite the app to do so it could work
              Thanks for the info. This was something I debated on how tyo implement.I was thinking about using the built-in Front L/R, Rear L/R and Sub outs going to a pair of amps (one 4-way for the Front & Rear and another to drive a mono subwoofer), and then call it a day.

I've done looking for mobile DSPs and you're right: they are few and far between. The ones that do exist don't have TOSlink capability for optimal data transfer. And the two options you presented aren't cheap.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

What about Alpine's PXA-H510 and PXA-H700?

Comment

thanks again port20.. You've saved me a lot of time and money!

Comment

other units require a stereo RCA signal to control the volume
                    So would it be possible to use the stereo RCA output from a head unit playing any old cd to control volume? i.e. One audio stream from the computer (TOSLINK)to listen to and one from the head unit (RCA) for volume control.

Comment

so port, can i use the panasonic unit as my head unit? and control the volume and source from the panasonic unit. also, do you think there is any way i could wire my cd-rom directly to the panasonic rca input by using the analog outputs on the cd-rom that windows no longer uses?

Comment

I know Really old post but I intrested about this Audiobahn ADD51T. Most sites dont even carry it any more But i have a feeling there going to start to make alot more (http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06/pages/51606.html ) every were i look i get the same old picture and the same old discription and thats not really giving me the warm and fuzzys

Comment

Originally posted by SoFlaLude
                          What about Alpine's PXA-H510 and PXA-H700?
                          Ditto. And the PXA-H701?

Comment

Originally posted by ChaCha
                            Ditto. And the PXA-H701?
                            this thread is like 2 years old
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                            Transflective Xenarc