• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Unit Vs. amp

I can buy either:

a headunit with 150 amps, eq, and aux. input, subwoofer out $60

or

2 dirt cheap amps $100

Basically i'm using a headunit as an amp, it wont be used in the system at all, save for a one time stereo eq, then i will leave it alone in my trunk.

My stereo is all stock crappy stuff on a 2002 subaru.

Comments? suggestions?
    mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
    Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Amps tend to have more in terms of user control and use their power more efficiently to power the speakers. A head unit with thru-puts and a radio receiver will use more power. Conserving otherwise wasted power is essential in a carputer setup.
    If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Comment

In a carputer a head unit is only going to get in your way. An amplifier is definetly the way to go. You can get a four channel amp and use rear for subwoofers (by bridging) and use the front channels for speakers (parallel wiring). The Ohms will be cut in to a quarter of what the subwoofers are rated at, and the speaker ohms will be cut in half so you wont see any power loss.
      Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
      Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
      sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Working...
      X